Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Dawson
Canada
Kelowna
BC
flag msg tools
mb
In continuing with the variants theme, here is some new gear that we have thought up. Please let me know how you feel about these.

Marshals badge: 1 Negotiate. Can change a fight test to a negotiate test once per job. $1200

Reaver Blade: 1 Fight, 1 negotiate. Can't be used by a moral character. Wanted. $1000

Improvised Drive core: Range 6, Mosey 1. Uses 1 fuel to full burn. All mechanic/breakdown rolls are at -3. $800

Samarai sword: 1 fight. +1 fight in duel. Must be moral to use. $600

Smugglers Drive core: Range 5, mosey 2. Uses 1 fuel to full burn. $1200

Advanced Tool Kit: 1 tech. Gives +1 fuel each salvage op. $600

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the marshal's badge should be quite a bit more expensive (very powerful0, or...it's a "one time" gear (removed from game after used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dawson
Canada
Kelowna
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Good call on the added price. $1500 enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HarleighDhai wrote:
Good call on the added price. $1500 enough?
to me, if it's a "keeper tool" I'd say $2000 easily; this could be a huge advantage...if you're playing it's a "one time, then toss tool" $1200 seems ok...(to me)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dawson
Canada
Kelowna
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Hmmm..... that seems a bit high to me when compared to "Stitch's" ability to do the reverse for an additional $100 of hiring cost. How about the rest of the gear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yosef Bender

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Improvised Drive core: Range 6, Mosey 1. Uses 1 fuel to full burn. All mechanic/breakdown rolls are at -3. $800

Not sure anybody would buy this

Smugglers Drive core: Range 5, mosey 2. Uses 1 fuel to full burn. $1200

$400 cheaper than shinny new state of the art compression coil, which dose the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yosefbender wrote:

Not sure anybody would buy this
Ditto. Make it $0 and surely someone would. Much to their own peril, likely. $0 is the "essence" of improvised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harleigh Dhai
Canada
flag msg tools
As per feedback, here are the new and improved costs......

Marshals badge: 1 Negotiate. Can change a fight test to a negotiate test once per job. $1500

Reaver Blade: 1 Fight, 1 negotiate. Can't be used by a moral character. Wanted. $1000

Improvised Drive core: Range 6, Mosey 1. Uses 1 fuel to full burn. All mechanic/breakdown rolls are at -3. $200

Smugglers Drive core: Range 5, mosey 2. Uses 1 fuel to full burn. $1800

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How can Gear be Wanted?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harleigh Dhai
Canada
flag msg tools
If it's found it can be confiscated like any other wanted crew member

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Harleigh 13 wrote:
Marshals badge: 1 Negotiate. Can change a fight test to a negotiate test once per job. $1500

Even at the high price, I don't know that I like an ability like this on a piece of Gear. It's pretty extreme. Also, thematically, should a Marshal's Badge really be for sale?

On one hand, it's a cool idea. On the other, it doesn't sit quite right.

Quote:

Shouldn't this count as a Knife? If so, it should be modeled after the existing cards. I like the idea that it can be confiscated, but I think we need a different term. Ships have Warrants. Crew are Wanted. Gear is... ???

"Can't be used by Moral Crew" doesn't work, because the one time we see one of these weapons being used by someone other than a Reaver, it's River, who is Moral. Also, there's nothing to prevent a Moral character from using a weapon like this. They might not LIKE it, but they would use it.

If anything, I would go with something like "A Moral Crew Carrying this Gear becomes Disgruntled after each test/on a successful roll/on a roll of 1/whatever condition."

Quote:
Improvised Drive core: Range 6, Mosey 1. Uses 1 fuel to full burn. All mechanic/breakdown rolls are at -3. $200

I'm inclined to agree with "Make it free." This engine really is a piece of go se, but the temptation to go one extra Sector is probably there from time to time. I know I'd never use it, but would love to see my opponents saddled with it.

On the other hand, there's a Ship Upgrade that ignores all Upgrades for $800, so there's a "cheat" around the weakness of this engine.

Quote:

As with the Reaver Blade: 1) should this count as a knife? 2) Why would morality be a deterrent to use? I've seen samurai movies where the most ruthless ronin around is pretty danged good at using a samurai sword...

Now, if the intent is that only a Moral character can BENEFIT, that's a slightly different story, but I'm not sure if it can be accommodated with a weapon.

I suspect you may be adapting to some extent what I did with the Bible, which requires Moral and 1 Talk to Carry. My intent there, though, would not be that a ruthless individual couldn't carry it -- they just couldn't benefit from it... which, in game terms, might as well translate to not being able to carry.

In this case, though, anyone can pick up a sword and stab someone, no?

I would recommend making it essentially identical to the Dueling Sword, but remove FANCY DUDS and instead add some bonus like "Moral Crew Carrying this gear gain +1 Fight in Duels." In that case, I would up the cost to $800. This nets out as less useful than the Gentleman's Sword, but not $400 less useful...

Quote:

This seems pretty well balanced, I think. If anything, I'm not sure why it's associated with smugglers, though.

Quote:

This is a bit cheap, based on other items that give a Tech bonus. If you want to keep the bonus to Tech, I would either increase the cost to $1000 or increase to $1200, but make it 2 Fuel instead of 1 Fuel.

I can explain the math, but I'm getting tired. It involves Jesse, Scrappers, and other Gear that gives +Tech...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Quote:

This seems pretty well balanced, I think. If anything, I'm not sure why it's associated with smugglers, though.
Because it avoids Alliance entanglements...You do not draw navigation cards when you mosey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll buy that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Hobby
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
This stuff should be added to the Black Market deck which is heavy on crew and needs more illegal stuff to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agreed. I've been working on the Black Market deck a little behind the scenes, and most of what I've presented have been Crew, but there are definite plans for Gear and Ship Upgrades, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dawson
Canada
Kelowna
BC
flag msg tools
mb
So, considering the feedback so far the gear stands as:

Marshals badge: 1 Negotiate. Counts as an Ace for:_______________ $1000

Reaver Blade: 1 Fight, 1 negotiate. Counts as a knife. If used on a job, disgruntles moral character at the end of it. Wanted. $1000

Improvised Drive core: Range 6, Mosey 1. Uses 1 fuel to full burn. All mechanic/breakdown rolls are at -3. Costs 1 part

Samarai sword: 1 fight. +1 fight in duel if moral. Counts as a knife. $600

Advanced Tool Kit: 1 tech. Gives +1 fuel each salvage op. $800

How does this sound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Hobby
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
(I made these suggestions in the wrong thread and wanted to rectify that here.)

I'm working out my ideas on ship upgrades and equipment for the black market to go with what George has been doing. Your stuff would be great for the black market and while I am still waiting for the expansion info to come rolling out it's got me thinking.

Depending on how the boarding actions work I think a HIDDEN SHIP MOUNTED WEAPONS upgrade that allows an extra fight or two against reavers and boarding actions would be a good one to represent the missile package from A & E.

A STEALTH PACKAGE for the ship would allow you to evade an Alliance Customs or Reaver Attack card but only to a neighboring space not 'keep flying'. As for the Alliance Cruiser or Reaver ship, it would be more formidable and only give you a fifty-fifty shot of evading them. Taking into account the upcoming piracy/bounty rules I believe it should give you a fifty-fifty of dodging them too.

NAV-SCRAMBLER upgrade would allow your ship to force a full stop on another firefly if they are passing within one space of yours (so you can mosey up on them and attempt boarding on the next turn). The downside is every player's turn you have this effect 'on' draws the Alliance Cruiser or Reaver closer to YOU (since you are basically electronically 'screaming')! Face up it is 'on', face down it is 'off'. You can only switch it during your turn as a work action.

REAVER DISGUISE would allow you to dodge all Reaver contacts when flying, except when in the same space as a planet or contact (as that would NOT be appropriate for business). Face up it is 'on', face down it is 'off'.

CARGO SHIELDING that can convert existing Cargo spaces into Stash spaces temporarily, discard after an Alliance or Boarding contact.

ALLIANCE IDENT BEACON which would allow a negotiate test by the crew to avoid Alliance entanglements to keep flying.

As to personal gear: idea from the show Almost Human: FLASH MASK (an aerosol spray applied to the skin, invisible to human eye but blinds electronic surveillance)which would act as Simon's Glasses but be discardable and therefore cheaper.

RECREATIONAL DRUGS? similar to 'Best in the House' tho more expensive and perhaps has 3 or 4 uses before being discarded (place disgruntled tokens on card as countdown). Maybe when discarded all crew is more susceptible to disgruntled the next time and will get two disgruntled tokens that one time.

The idea of the Black Market is so awesome the new gear and possibilities are endless. These thoughts kept me awake last night but now I have to do some price comparisons to see what they should cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I could see a few of Mike's items changing a bit in light of what we're coming to learn about PIRATES & BOUNTY HUNTERS.

For example, perhaps the Samurai Sword offers a bonus in a Showdown? And we'll have to wait to see what (if anything) the Lawman keyword does, but that might have impact on the badge.

Bourne's Jurisdiction ability is actually pretty interesting, and hints to what the badge could potentially pack -- although I don't know that it would be useful in a lot of circumstances. If I recall correctly, Bourne has +2 Fight in Border space, but will not participate in an Illegal job. (For the record, I would guess that there will be another Lawman, Dobson or McGinnis, who offers a bonus in Alliance space).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dawson
Canada
Kelowna
BC
flag msg tools
mb
I really like these ideas! Here is my first take on them.

Stealth Package: Ship Upgrade. Can avoid a Reaver attack, Alliance inspection, or Boarding action on a 4+. $1800

Nav-Scrambler: Ship Upgrade. Can be turned off/on with a work action. When on, Reavers and the Alliance cruiser must move towards you. Can stop an opposing firefly in an adjacent space with an opposing tech test. $2000

Reaver Disguise: Ship Upgrade. Can be turned off/on with a work action. When on, ignore a Reaver contact on a roll of 3+. Cannot work or deal with disguise on. $1000

Fake Panelling. Ship Upgrade. 2 cargo spaces are counted as Stash spaces. Discard after use. $300
**** I went with this as opposed to your "Cargo Shielding" idea as it fits better thematically in my mind.

Alliance Ident Beacon. Ship Upgrade. Pass a Negotiate 6 test to avoid an Alliance contact. -2 on your roll for each warrant. $1400

Flash Mask: Gear. Discard to ignore any wanted tests. $300

Mudders Milk: Gear. Discard to remove 2 disgruntled from crew. $200

Recreational Drugs: Gear. May remove 4 disgruntled from crew (not all at once), discard when 4th dosage is used. $600

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HarleighDhai wrote:
Mudders Milk: Gear. Discard to remove 2 disgruntled from crew. $200

Mudder's Milk Gear. Discard to move disgruntled from this crewman to another crewman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How about "Discard to count as 1 Cargo. Cannot be sold"?

That way, you can use it for Family Dinner (from the Nav Card), Locals in Need (Misbehave card)... or to get the local quartermaster drunk enough to realize you're one pallet short when delivering on that Shipping Job...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Hobby
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, that all sounds good. Prices seem solid to everyone? I'm eager to print these up and use em!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dawson
Canada
Kelowna
BC
flag msg tools
mb
I like GWEK's version of Mudders milk, but the price will have to go up to compensate for that. I would say at least $500

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Hobby
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Hobby
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
ECM
Tweaked the price and ability, thinking it was too powerful. You can now only Evade with it and it is more difficult to dodge the Cruiser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |