13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Playtest meetup in North West england? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Perkin
msg tools
designer
Any designers based in north west England want to meetup as a regular playtest group?

I've noticed London and Cambridge have a weekly playtesting group it would be great to have something near Manchester too!

If a few people are interested I'd be happy to organise a meetup. MadLab in Manchester might be a great place - http://madlab.org.uk/ - open to other suggestions too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
Netherlands
Barendrecht
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Count me in!

Obviously I'd prefer Liverpool myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
My house!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Perkin
msg tools
designer
I wouldn't mind travelling to liverpool. We could always alternate every few weeks. Where else can I shout out to find people to join in? Is meetup.com worth using?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
Netherlands
Barendrecht
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
There's a friendly group of boardgamers meeting every Monday in a pub in Liverpool, might be worth asking there:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/930770/liverpool-lion-boardg...

...I rarely get to go there because of my small human.

EDIT: Maybe at board gaming events? There are no less than THREE local all-day events coming up in March: in Knutsford, in Liverpool, and in Bolton. You might see similar people at these three events though. There's also Manchester's StabCon but the next one is in July I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Perkin
msg tools
designer
I've created a meetup group here http://www.meetup.com/North-West-Playtesters/

Also Rob from Playtest UK contacted me saying I could create an event on his meetup too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Perkin
msg tools
designer
Bump to see if anyone is still interested in this:
http://www.meetup.com/North-West-Playtesters/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what Koen posted on The Liverpool Lion Boardgamers thread, and my reply.

khendrix wrote:
Hi everyone. Koen here, the Dutchman who never shows up but wishes he could. A quick public service broadcast:

A few people are trying to get a Northwest Playtesting meetup going, for game designers and everyone to play/share/test/discuss their prototype games.

If you'd be interested in something like that, let us know here:
Playtest meetup in North West england?

Thanks. Have a good one tonight meeple

Can't see what we can do until there's someone with a game to playtest. Once that happens if they post here saying they want to come to a meeting to test a game they can see what the response is. I think our group is large enough to have enough people available to playtest a game most weeks as long as it's not too onerous (15 players, 8 hours long, 17th test, that sort of thing).

I'll also point out that having a playtest group in Manchester is extremely optimistic, as there is currently no regular boardgames club meeting near there since Fanboy3 kicked out the Sunday night meeting. The last of several attempts to restart something was in this thread, where the guy with the the bright idea stopped logging on to BGG the day after starting the thread.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1076328/manchester-city-cent...

There are groups in Bolton, Warrington and Stockport who also may be useful to you, but as I said there's not much value in asking people if they will playtest things until there's something to playtest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Perkin
msg tools
designer
PaulinTheLion wrote:
there's not much value in asking people if they will playtest things until there's something to playtest.

Hi Paul, i'm sure those that reply to this thread implicitly have a game they're designing. I know Koen has a couple and I have a couple as well. I'll be going to magers tonight in Stockport, i'll ask there if anyone is interested.

On a slightly different note, there is a game jam in manchester on the 2nd march.
http://madlab.org.uk/content/manchester-game-jam-march-2014/
It will mostly be a video game jam but the page says people creating board/card games there before. I'm certainly going to try and attend, it might be a nice event to meet some of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Perkin
msg tools
designer
Well we got 6 members in the meetup now, going good so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread would be a lot more visible if it was in the England group. Lots more people in your catchment area subscribe to the England group, so you would be telling people who might come along about your proposal rather than letting a lot of people in Seattle and Helsinki interested in game design know about meetings they'll never attend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Perkin
msg tools
designer
PaulinTheLion wrote:
This thread would be a lot more visible if it was in the England group. Lots more people in your catchment area subscribe to the England group, so you would be telling people who might come along about your proposal rather than letting a lot of people in Seattle and Helsinki interested in game design know about meetings they'll never attend.

Yeah I did post it in the England forum category as well, interestingly no-one replied to that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
Netherlands
Barendrecht
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I think we should have a playtesting meetup at the Liverpool Lions' gaming day in Liverpool, two weeks from now. Free entry, great atmosphere, lots of gamers, not far from the train station.

5th LIVERPOOL LIONS GAMES DAY - SUNDAY MARCH 16th 2014 11am-11pm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls