Subject: How should the FAA regulate drones? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I posted a while ago about PETA drones vs hunters. This news story gives another angle.

Seems we're about to enter a whole new world.

Drone use highlights questions for journalists
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20140211/DABT34FO0.html

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - As police responded to a deadly car crash, they noticed an increasingly familiar sight: a remote-controlled aircraft, equipped with a video camera, hovering over the wreckage.

The case of the Hartford crash, in which the victim's body was left hanging out of a mangled car, highlights some of the safety, privacy and ethical issues that journalists will wrestle with as interest grows in using drones for newsgathering.

"Here was a dead body still on the scene. We had covered it the best we could," said Lt. Brian Foley, a Hartford police spokesman, who said drones have been appearing more frequently at crime scenes. "You don't want the family to see that."

The Federal Aviation Administration has opened an investigation of the drone, which was used by an on-call employee for a Connecticut television station.

The FAA is developing new rules as the technology makes drones far more versatile, but for now operators can run afoul of regulations by using them for commercial purposes, including journalism.

Matt Waite, a journalism professor at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, said that once permission for commercial drone use is granted, journalists will need to consider psychological distress that a dozen or more drones buzzing overhead could cause people who become targets of media attention.

Another issue, he said, will be the safety risks in deploying devices, each weighing several pounds, with rapidly spinning blades.

"What is a permitted risk? What is a responsible risk? Those two may be two different things," Waite said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest concern would be safety.

You should have a license (that requires a test).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I don't know. I mean, we've had RC aircraft for many many decades, and just NOW there is need for more regulation just because people are attaching a camera to it.

I think they are creating safety regulations for a problem that doesn't exist, or prove that it already hasn't existed for decades. OR they are creating safety regulations because they don't like how people are using the devices.

And I really would like them to stop using the weasel word Drones. They are called Radio Controlled aircraft. You can buy them in Hobby stores around the globe.

The military uses Drones, everyone else uses fancy toys.
Except that remote control aircraft tended to be used ion restricted places (not a lot of fun watching your expensive toy smashing into a building). Drone are being used in a very different way, and some of the suggested ways have safety risks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAA needs to create robotic crows and seagulls that feed on Drones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Make 'em show photo ID, no drinking and flying and check their criminal records; some of them may have done some nasty things overseas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bentley
msg tools
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I don't know. I mean, we've had RC aircraft for many many decades, and just NOW there is need for more regulation just because people are attaching a camera to it.

I think they are creating safety regulations for a problem that doesn't exist, or prove that it already hasn't existed for decades. OR they are creating safety regulations because they don't like how people are using the devices.

And I really would like them to stop using the weasel word Drones. They are called Radio Controlled aircraft. You can buy them in Hobby stores around the globe.

The Military uses UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles). People just call them drones because it's shorter and scarier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
slatersteven wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Except that remote control aircraft tended to be used ion restricted places (not a lot of fun watching your expensive toy smashing into a building). Drone are being used in a very different way, and some of the suggested ways have safety risks.
Commercial drones like this are bigger and have a longer range than RC aircraft, right?

Besides larger size and range, it seems to me the difference is that the numbers of these things seems to be growing.

If any hobbyist, journalist, or psychopath with $500 to buy a drone can remotely observe/harass/attack anyone they want - anonymously - isn't that a problem?

In theory, I wonder if you could pilot a little commercial drone like this inside the US from any country in the world, over the internet or something. I guess it would required a local "re-transmitter" or whatever it would be called, or could they be controlled by satellite?

Certainly, thinking beyond small commercial drones now, if the US military can blow up an al-Quaeda SUV in Yemen, other countries could to that to people in the US, right? Is our Air Force ready for this? They must be thinking of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:

Certainly, thinking beyond small commercial drones now, if the US military can blow up an al-Quaeda SUV in Yemen, other countries could to that to people in the US, right? Is our Air Force ready for this? They must be thinking of it.

Dan Carlin has an interesting take on this in one of his Hardcore histories (Logical Insanity, I think) where he talked about how the advent of flight affected war (essentially completely altered/expanded the scope of who was a target).

The conclusion was basically that the US needs to reform the hell out of its policy now in order to act as a model for when other countries start utilizing UAVs in combat like scenarios as well. As it stands, we're basically treating it as a free for all with loads of collateral damage (e.g. Yemeni wedding parties) and as the technology becomes commonplace in militaries, you're going to see this happening more and more (and probably on the domestic side as well. It's going to take a hell of a lot of control over our airspace to prevent little bombs from flying through, of course, we tend to have geography on our side for anything originating outside the US (but that doesn't prevent an attack from within the US, which you should probably expect sooner or later).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Parrot AR.Drone 2.0
http://ardrone2.parrot.com/

At least one version of this has a quarter mile range, it appears
http://forum.parrot.com/ardrone/en/viewtopic.php?id=5708

$300 on Amazon
http://smile.amazon.com/Parrot-AR-Drone-Quadricopter-Control...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make it open season for them and blow them out of the sky, problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
dengue wrote:
tesuji wrote:

Dan Carlin has an interesting take on this in one of his Hardcore histories (Logical Insanity, I think) where he talked about how the advent of flight affected war (essentially completely altered/expanded the scope of who was a target).

The conclusion was basically that the US needs to reform the hell out of its policy now in order to act as a model for when other countries start utilizing UAVs in combat like scenarios as well. As it stands, we're basically treating it as a free for all with loads of collateral damage (e.g. Yemeni wedding parties) and as the technology becomes commonplace in militaries, you're going to see this happening more and more (and probably on the domestic side as well. It's going to take a hell of a lot of control over our airspace to prevent little bombs from flying through, of course, we tend to have geography on our side for anything originating outside the US (but that doesn't prevent an attack from within the US, which you should probably expect sooner or later).
A perfect terrorist weapon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
nastycleavage wrote:
Just when I'm wondering if maybe I should start carrying a taser or pepper spray for possible muggers, you're going to make me carry a shotgun everywhere too?

Actually, the shotgun makes the pepper spray unnecessary, doesn't it.
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nastycleavage wrote:
I mean it is one real reason to have an armed populace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
nastycleavage wrote:
Just when I'm wondering if maybe I should start carrying a taser or pepper spray for possible muggers, you're going to make me carry a shotgun everywhere too?

Actually, the shotgun makes the pepper spray unnecessary, doesn't it.
laugh

Don't waste your time with the pepper spray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
An Article on industries waiting for a green light:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-industries-drones-set-revolut...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:

If any hobbyist, journalist, or psychopath with $500 to buy a drone can remotely observe/harass/attack anyone they want - anonymously - isn't that a problem?

isn't it a problem that the Government can do all of that now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lochmoigh wrote:
tesuji wrote:

isn't it a problem that the Government can do all of that now?
Yes, but are far less likely to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lochmoigh wrote:
Sure.
Most stalkers do not work for the government, neither do most peeing toms. Hell even your mobile phone messages are more likely to have been listened to by a newspapers then the government.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls