Subject: This scream's REPRINT - why not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wade Ashton
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The title says it all. Some legal battle or a company not interested in making money?.

Whoever own the license for this is foolish for not kickstarting it. They'd clean up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not so sure. There are definitely more old copies around than there are people actually playing, so why print more?

A reprinted deluxe version including all the old expansions and updated graphics or something perhaps. I would probably buy that despite barely ever playing the game these days. But just a plain reprint going on kickstarter, seems unlikely I would buy (already have a complete collection, plus some doubles, despite selling off a complete set of expansions a few years ago).

A new game that plays faster though, that I would play, but that means investing in a new design, not just a reprint. Less legal fees probably, but more actual game-design and scenario-design work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to play this again a few years ago, and it just seemed too fiddly. Computers and tablets have automated things to the point where solitaire games, with all of their charts and die rolls, seem more like a chore than they did back before we had those other options.

Obviously there is still a market for solitaire games, based on what you see in the forums here, but I don't think it's what it used to be, and the mechanics have evolved. So it probably wouldn't be worth a reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Commerce
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HighVolumeLP wrote:
The title says it all. Some legal battle or a company not interested in making money?.

Whoever own the license for this is foolish for not kickstarting it. They'd clean up.

They can't reprint it yet...I just got my first copy ever of Ambush! about 3 days ago ...about 2/3 through the rulebook now.

That being said, as a 43-year old gamer, I can tell this game is going to be something special. So happy that I get to live through it for the first time soon, yet sad that I may have trouble tracking down the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as long as Valley Games/Radiant Games doesn't do the reprint/KS. I'm still waiting in vain for Airborne in Your Pocket and Up Front from them. Would love to see a new edition with more scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
It was published by Victory Games, so the rights probably passed from Avalon Hill to the dark hole that is Hasbro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
It was published by Victory Games, so the rights probably passed from Avalon Hill to the dark hole that is Hasbro.
Yep. Low popularity and superior computer/tablet performance ensure this will remain OOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several years ago I made the following GeekList comment and commented on the reprint issue with Ambush:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/70037/item/1755861?comment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian lecuyot
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
A reprinted deluxe version including all the old expansions and updated graphics or something perhaps. I would probably buy that despite barely ever playing the game these days
Ambush deluxe with updated graphics ?? Omg that's what i dreamed of so often. I dont understand that such a wonderful game never got a modern reprint. I would buy it immediately as Ambush is my best solo wargame experience ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Burnett
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoganTT wrote:
pelni wrote:
A reprinted deluxe version including all the old expansions and updated graphics or something perhaps. I would probably buy that despite barely ever playing the game these days
Ambush deluxe with updated graphics ?? Omg that's what i dreamed of so often. I dont understand that such a wonderful game never got a modern reprint. I would buy it immediately as Ambush is my best solo wargame experience ever.

I just got into war gaming and saw this game. After reading about the game and reading and watching reviews, I would say a reprint of this game would be awesome and I would buy immediately. This game sounds very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Taran
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A modern reprint, with an app in place of the paragraph sleeve. just type in the hex number to see what happens. I would buy it in a heart beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taran01 wrote:

A modern reprint, with an app in place of the paragraph sleeve. just type in the hex number to see what happens. I would buy it in a heart beat.

I would prefer if there was an option to use either. It is nice to sometimes play a bit off-line with only paper and cardboard and dice. But I agree having digital paragraph-lookups is faster. I did that as part of DIY Ambush! Missions. It is not rocket science to write the scripts to be able to do the cards and paragraphs both in printable format and digital. (But I still think, like I said earlier in this thread and in other threads, that I would prefer a new more modern game and not just a re-print, with or without an app.)

EDIT: Actually if you make an app for the paragraphs, you might as well include a map and virtual counters moving on the screen and just make a full digital game of it, imo. Not that it would be a bad thing to have the option to play on paper or on screen or combined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tigger Nicholson
msg tools
Its sad but yeah, i think hasbro own the rights.

Shame really, its actually an excellent and involving game. Its no more fiddly than most games.

Though... Nothing says another manufacturer couldnt reuse the clever game mechanics.

I can well imagine the format suiting the Warhammer40K universe ...or mission impossible....or ninjas during the edo period....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bump.

Thumb up