Subject: New Gaming group conflict game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Smith
United States
Leroy
Illinois
flag msg tools
New gaming group game recommendations. We have and enjoy Stone Age and Dominion. I also have TTR: Marklin, a few co-ops, and Rampage. I have a cart over at Coolstuff full of X-wing, Exodus, and Cosmic Encounter. Thought I'd ask for some recommendations. Guess i'm looking for more conflict type games. 2-4 players (i know Cosmic is 3 and x-wing is 2 only). That they are all space themed games is simply a coincidence.

Thanks!

Edit: I've though about Kemet, it didn't jump out at me form teh description but I could be convinced to either add it to this list or replace something on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
smythe80 wrote:
i'm looking for more conflict type games. 2-4 players (i know Cosmic is 3 and x-wing is 2 only).
X-Wing can very well be played in teams if you have 100-point squads. (From your message I gather that you have at least one core set and plenty of expansions in your basket. If you supply all ships, I recommend two core sets. You can't beat the price per ship, and you really benefit from having enough dice and movement templates.)

You might consider One Night Ultimate Werewolf for 3-10 players, although it is best with 5+ players, 4-player games are fun with all the configurability, and a quick game or two with 3 players is ok.

Also, Discworld: Ankh-Morpork scales well from 2-4 players, always plays in an hour, and has plenty of conflict, and hidden winning conditions are always fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few, depending upon what exactly you mean by "conflict"

Chicago Express- heavy interaction stock game. Light on rules, heavy in conflict.

1775: Rebellion- light war/area control game.

Hansa Teutonica- dry in theme, rich and delicious on conflict and interaction. tons of blocking and messing with opponents.

Tigris & Euphrates- one of my favorites. The strategy is opaque at first, but it unfurls like a beautiful flower with each play.

Pax Porfiriana- this has a relatively steep learning curve, but is full of conflict and interaction. Fun and crazy game. The first few plays it is hard to gauge how close someone is to winning.

Shogun/Wallenstein (second edition)- pretty much the same game with different themes/maps people seem to have a preference for one or the other. I've only played Shogun, so I can't weigh in

Space Empires: 4X- space war/4x game. Pretty easy to understand rules, some complain of the bookkeeping (it's not that much, and there are optional rules to reduce it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all Euro-ish conflict games...

El Grande

Shogun or Wallenstein (second edition)

For something a little more abstract:
Tigris & Euphrates

And finally, my favorite:
Tammany Hall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo, perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
And finally, my favorite:
Tammany Hall
+1
Yes, I forgot to add it... good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
East Longmeadow
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Tigris and Euphrates

Tikal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelly
United States
Twentynine Palms
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For something a little different than has been suggested, I would recommend City of Horror. My group was very surprised at how intense the and emotional the voting aspect became with the limited "safe spaces". This pick is a little non-traditional, but I assure you, it will facilitate conflict. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
1812: The Invasion of Canada

Chaos in the Old World

City of Remnants

Conflict of Heroes

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

Mage Knight

Merchants & Marauders

Nexus Ops

Runewars

Spartacus

Mage Wars

Wiz-War

. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very few of the games listed here play well with 2. Some, like El Grande or Game of Thrones, only play well at specific numbers!

1775: Rebellion, Pax Porfiriana, Space Empires: 4X, and Tigris & Euphrates do scale well.

Most of the games listed are awesome. I'm a huge fan of Tammany Hall myself, but only plays 3-5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New game group, 2-4 players, conflict? The answer is clearly Nexus Ops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a two playe conflict game, look no further than Twilight Struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species
Small World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Moe45673 wrote:
Very few of the games listed here play well with 2. Some, like El Grande or Game of Thrones, only play well at specific numbers!

1775: Rebellion, Pax Porfiriana, Space Empires: 4X, and Tigris & Euphrates do scale well.

Most of the games listed are awesome. I'm a huge fan of Tammany Hall myself, but only plays 3-5

1812: The Invasion of Canada

Chaos in the Old World

City of Remnants

Conflict of Heroes

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

Mage Knight

Merchants & Marauders

Nexus Ops

Runewars

Spartacus

Mage Wars

Wiz-War

Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ice
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with El Grande or Tammany Hall, I had them both go over well with new gamers.

Don't get Kemet, get Cyclades instead. I've had it go over well with new gamers, Kemet has too much up-front complexity for anyone to process fully the first time, and thats not something you want to throw at a new game group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll throw in my two cents about Cyclades

1) The base game has dead simple rules, although a bad explanation can make it seem way more complicated than it is
2) The game excels with more players but plays quite well at 2

Kemet has a lot of tiles available from the outset which will significantly slow down newbs. Cyclades will have a max of 3 creature cards visible at any one time.

So I agree with Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Smith
United States
Leroy
Illinois
flag msg tools
Wow, Thanks for all the input! I saw Space Empires 4X on here, I kind of leaned towards Exodus based on video reviews. I can't say I have a great reason why, maybe I'm a sucker for plastic ships

Mike that list is full of stuff on my Amazon wish list. Maybe I need to give X-wing the boot and pick up a few of those games. X-wing looks/sounds fun but for the price I'm going to lay out for it I cold get 2-3 different types of games. Nexus Ops and Cyclades. Looks like Tammany Hall got some love too.

I am disappointed Merchants and Marauders got crossed off. It says 2-4 but it must not scale well down to 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smythe80 wrote:
Wow, Thanks for all the input! I saw Space Empires 4X on here, I kind of leaned towards Exodus based on video reviews. I can't say I have a great reason why, maybe I'm a sucker for plastic ships :)

Mike that list is full of stuff on my Amazon wish list. Maybe I need to give X-wing the boot and pick up a few of those games. X-wing looks/sounds fun but for the price I'm going to lay out for it I cold get 2-3 different types of games. Nexus Ops and Cyclades. Looks like Tammany Hall got some love too.

I am disappointed Merchants and Marauders got crossed off. It says 2-4 but it must not scale well down to 2?

Not sure why Merchant and Marauders got crossed off. In some ways I like it better with 2 players as it plays a lot faster. My only issue with M&M is that some games just feel like luck plays too much into the game. There are house rules you can implement that help make it more balanced. We have had some very heated games as it can be very demoralizing when your ship gets sunk with a full load of goods on it. All in all though I really like this game. If you have the right group of people it can be a ton of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ktice wrote:
Don't get Kemet, get Cyclades instead. I've had it go over well with new gamers, Kemet has too much up-front complexity for anyone to process fully the first time, and thats not something you want to throw at a new game group.

I have to step in and disagree. Kemet's rules are easier than Cyclades. Its complexity comes in that multitude of tech tiles available. But if you follow the rule book's advice to only introduce the first levels of tech tiles at the beginning, it's very easy to digest and jump right in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
smythe80 wrote:

It's just not as fun with two players. Part of the fun of the game is that some players can be the good guys while others can choose to be the bad guys. With two players that dynamic just isn't as interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oo this is easy. I've grown to love some good conflict aswell.

+ 5 Tigris & Euphrates - this is the perfect mix of conflict and euro in my opinion. best 4 player, ok 2 player.
+1 King of Tokyo - simple, short and sweet!

how about
Risk Legacy - you'd want 4 or 5 consistent players though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no-ones mentioned Small World, a conflict game with plenty of theme that's not sensitive to player count.

On the other hand disregard El Grande as it needs exactly 5 players (some will play it with 4 I admit, but that's the minimum). It's also long out of print and now quite expensive, but apart from that it's exactly what you want.

A relatively obscure game you might like is Primordial Soup (Ursuppe), a charming Amoeba fighting and evolving game that I suddenly want to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls