Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Cenizal
United States
Rodeo
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mr. Brenzor

Any possibility of having an expansion/variant/rules where you can play with only one hero? Iron Fist vs Galactus in the Midtown Bank Robbery!

I'll be your best friend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul Flores
United States
California
flag msg tools
I don't think that's possible considering if you use only one hero then the timer to win the game becomes nine turns, since each hero only has fourteen cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morpher251 wrote:
I don't think that's possible considering if you use only one hero then the timer to win the game becomes nine turns, since each hero only has fourteen cards.

Depends what you mean by "one hero".

What I mean is that there are already 2 different versions of wovlerine. All we need is for an expansion to gain a 3rd iteration of wolverine and we're all set!

But that wouldn't be a rule set or variant. That would just be using the standard solo rules with 3 of the same hero.

I would LOVE to be able to do that with at least one hero though. So I'm going to propose that we get a 3rd version of Wolverine so that I can do this.

OR even better (for me because he's my favourite) I would like 2 new versions of Thor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soon....

Spider-Man
Black suited Spider-Man
Scarlet Spider (ok you will have to squint)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually trying to balance a variant where you can do this. The first step would probably have to be house ruling it so that the game is not over when the Hero deck runs out, or, when a Hero gets KOed, it's simply placed on the bottom of the Hero Deck so that it is less likely to run out. You'd also have to make sure the mastermind, scheme and villain deck setup combos well with your single hero deck.

Basically, you'd have to design a micro specific, thematic game for this. But hopefully it can be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M_Strauss wrote:
I'm actually trying to balance a variant where you can do this. The first step would probably have to be house ruling it so that the game is not over when the Hero deck runs out, or, when a Hero gets KOed, it's simply placed on the bottom of the Hero Deck so that it is less likely to run out. You'd also have to make sure the mastermind, scheme and villain deck setup combos well with your single hero deck.

Basically, you'd have to design a micro specific, thematic game for this. But hopefully it can be done.

If you are literally only going to use 1 hero (14 cards) I would suggest perhaps diluting the hero deck in some way. Perhaps adding a few Maria Hill cards to the deck? That way you still have the randomness of not necessarily getting all the cards you want.

I'm tempted to try that actually I think if you add maybe, 6 Maria Hill cards to make a 20 card deck and then hand pick the scheme/villains then you can probably make it work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or maybe combo a single hero with the Save Humanity scheme so that the hero deck is diluted with Bystanders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I tried this out tonight:

Scheme: X-Cutioner's Song (W/ Wolverine X-Men)
Mastermind: Magneto
Villains: Radiation
Henchmen: Savage Land Mutates
Single Hero: Hulk

Special Rules: I put a face down wound on the right most and left most spaces of the HQ, meaning that only 3 Heroes would be in the HQ at any given time. I was hoping this would slow down how quickly the hero deck ran out, and it probably did help a bit.

My thoughts on this setup were basically that it was very clunky and boring. Boring because there was no strategy in recruiting heroes; if you can, you will. That's it, and since there's just one hero, they all combo together, so there's no reason not to recruit whatever cards are in the HQ. Basically, single Hero means lack of interesting choice making on the part of the player.

I was hoping that using X-Cutioner's song would help since you do get more Hero cards that way. Wolverine and Hulk combo very well together since they both have KO Wound mechanics, but the problem was that there weren't really a whole lot of opportunities to accumulate Wounds. Another problem is that neither Hulk nor Wolverine have recruit cards, making the game kind of stagnant.

Possible Solution: Shuffle six Wounds into the Hero Deck. When a card tells you to "KO a card from your discard pile" you may choose to KO it from the HQ instead. Also, replace four Agents in your starting deck with four Officers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls