Subject: [fan character] Mr. Carius The Wolf of Gesselheim rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so just for laughs I made a character. He's modeled after grapplers who aren't present in BattleCON. I present to you Mr. Carius

UA: Grappler
If an attack pair includes your unique base or grasp and your opponent played a green base you become the active player.
If you deal damage with an attack pair that includes your unique base or grasp give the opponent a Knock Down counter. While the opponent has the Knock Down counter they may not move and they must choose the direction of their attack secretly during the ante phase. Their Attack only hits you if you're in the direction they chose. While an opponent is suffering from Knock Down they may not be Knock Downed again. At the end of a beat that an opponent was Knock Downed they discard the Knock Down token.
Your Attacks range always include 1 and may not go farther then 2.

STYLES

Strong Block
Range N/A
Power N/A
Priority 0

This attack pair does no damage and can not hit the opponent

Unless the opponent switches sides with you or they are adjacent to you and played a green base you have Soak 5. If you soak any damage and are within 2 spaces of the opponent the opponent loses 3 life.

End of Beat: if you weren't stunned return your base to your hand

Cannon Dive
Range 0
Power +1
Priority 0

Soak 3

Before Activating: Advance 1 or 2 spaces.

After Activating: if you hit the opponent retreat 1 space

Reaching
Range +0-1
Power 0
Priority +1

End of beat: Advance 1 space

Aggressive
Range 0
Power +2
Priority -3

Stun Guard 4

All your retreat movement becomes advance movement

Start of beat: if your base provides no movement advance 1 or 2 spaces

End of beat: If you take damage this turn lose 1 life

Cornered
Range 0
Power +1
Priority +1

Opponents Can not move past you

Reveal: If your opponent is adjacent to the wall gain +1 power and +1 priority

Unique Base
Slam
Range 1
Power 4
Priority 4

On hit: move the opponent 1 space

On damage: the opponent is stunned

So there he is. I haven't had time to think up a super for him. When I do I'll edit this post and add it here. I also don't have time to give it a look over because I'm running late for something. This took longer then I thought haha. So If I made lots of spelling errors I'll fix those later. Let me know what you think of Mr. Carius. Is he too weak? too strong?

Edit: I added more wording to the UA to specify when the opponent chooses direction (thanks to feed back). I also added the part that if an opponent is Knock Downed this beat he can't be Knock Downed next beat. I also changed strong block style to only deal the 3 damage if within 2 spaces of the opponent. The damage is supposed to represent I block your attack and while you're recovering I poke you. So it only makes sense for the damage to happen within this characters range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You should probably specify WHEN the opponent must choose the direction of their attack. Probably during the ante phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
This should probably be in Variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
digi holic
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think you should favor generality over specialty in a few of those cases. Particularly, you should never mention a base by name (what if the opponent is using Betas? or what if he's in a dungeon?)

My suggestion? Change some of the text from "If the opponent played grasp" to "If you were moved by an opponent's effect"

Another thing to be wary of is the range conditions on his UA. It's tricky to dabble in the core mechanic of the game so deeply for one character, and combined with the fact that he only has two advance moves means that against a mobile ranger like Rukyuk he can't hit 2/3 of the time (assuming Rukyuk is dashing regularly) I would suggest getting rid of the range limitations and just let him shoot once in a while.

Strong block is a bit too powerful, I think, and taking the base back at reveal and having N/A priority means it's incompatible with certain characters like Lymn. I would suggest changing the base return to an end of beat effect if you did not take damage this beat, which would solve both problems. Also, having the damage be life loss would make it less of an instant-win card against characters like Marmelee or Clive who care about being stunned after attacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
digiholic wrote:
I think you should favor generality over specialty in a few of those cases. Particularly, you should never mention a base by name (what if the opponent is using Betas? or what if he's in a dungeon?)

My suggestion? Change some of the text from "If the opponent played grasp" to "If you were moved by an opponent's effect"

Another thing to be wary of is the range conditions on his UA. It's tricky to dabble in the core mechanic of the game so deeply for one character, and combined with the fact that he only has two advance moves means that against a mobile ranger like Rukyuk he can't hit 2/3 of the time (assuming Rukyuk is dashing regularly) I would suggest getting rid of the range limitations and just let him shoot once in a while.

Strong block is a bit too powerful, I think, and taking the base back at reveal and having N/A priority means it's incompatible with certain characters like Lymn. I would suggest changing the base return to an end of beat effect if you did not take damage this beat, which would solve both problems. Also, having the damage be life loss would make it less of an instant-win card against characters like Marmelee or Clive who care about being stunned after attacking.

Thanks to this help I changed any reference to grasp to green base. That way it covers cases where the opponent has beta, EX, and Almighty bases. Also Changed Strong block to life loss and made it so the base returns at end of turn if you weren't stunned. This seems kind of strong to me because I could play strong block drive and be able to advance and have the soak but if you say he needs more ways to advance then this works out. I also gave the aggressive style more ways to move because of your comment that he doesn't have enough movement.

And regarding the other comment about this should be in variants. You're right I should have put it there. Unfortunately I don't know how to change it. Clicking on edit the original post doesn't give me access to changing the type of thread it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.