Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Carlbom
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Game over man, game over!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is something I've been thinking about lately... Eldritch Horror would make a great HBO mini-series. So I guess I'm just wondering who you'd pick to play the various characters. I'll start out with an easy one: Harrison Ford as Leo Anderson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkSasquatch2 wrote:
Harrison Ford as Leo Anderson

Maybe 20 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Carlbom
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think the old, crabby Harrison would fit better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think arkham horror is more production compatible for a mini series for low location stage needed and atmosphere for horror theme.

I don't think the theme won't offer a lasting appeal to the common viewers (not a hp. Lovecraft fan). Because if you strip all of the "human mind cannot understand everything" fluff, all you have is a mini series about people going insane after experiencing an encounter with aliens from another dimension.

Ain't gonna roll.

Did you know: Guillermo del toro cancelled the production of mountain of madness because of the many similarities with movie Prometheus.

See? Alien embryo bursting from people's chests are more scary than unknown aliens that made people goes crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anthony Hopkins at Norman Withers. I can see him describing how six stars disappeared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
John Carpenter's The Thing is the closest I can think to a 'classic' H P Lovecraft style story ever hitting the mainstream.

Reanimator rocks. Its one of my fave films, but it isn't representetive of HP's work. Even the original short stories are outliers. Mad, crazy, and some of the most fun HP stories, but still outside his wheelhouse.

Gordon & Yuzna's followup, From Beyond, hedges closer to HP's core themes. But then people go and have sex. So it veers wildly off the path of Lovecraft's experience of the world.

There have two adaptions of The Colour Out of Space, "Die, Monster, Die" and "The Curse". Neither was particularly faithful in plot nor theme. "The Lonely Death of Jordie Verille" from George Romero and Stephen King's Creepshow was closer.

There have been two adaptions of The Dunwich Horror. Again, it is an outlier in HP's work, even though it serves as a one of the the foundations of the Mythos. Neither film hits the mark.

I've seen several adaptions of what are surely HP's most adaptable short stories, "Cool Air" and "Pickman's Model". In fact, you can find a few of either on Youtube without much searching. Along with it, you will find numerous low budget animated adaptions of many of his works, including the 'core' Mythos stories like "The Call of Cthulhu", "The Shadow Out of Time", and "At The Mountains of Madness".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob--Have you seen the two movies that the HPL Historical Society put out? "Whisperer in Darkness" and "Call of Cthulu"? I love both of those. The Cthulu one is a silent film, and the other is a talkie, but they are both shot in black and white. Very thematic and, I think, well acted.

If any of you are big fans of Lovecraft stuff and haven't gotten these movies, you will enjoy! I just watched "Whisperer in Darkness" again the other night, and it was pretty scary. Here's the link:

http://www.cthulhulives.org/whisperer/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Watson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of other relatively low budget films out there that are based more directly on his work. "The Curse" (starring fellow game aficionado Wil Wheaton) is directly based on the "Colour Out of Space". I also remember seeing a movie based directly on "The Lurking Fear" (I believe it's called "The Lurking Fear"), but it is pretty low rent (the special effects were very Roger Corman-esque). I did, however, enjoy In the Mouth of Madness (John Carpenter, 1995), which is very Lovecraftian.

The more recent short films have been pretty decent. I recently watched "Dreams in the Witch House" (in the Masters of Horror series) and "Call of Cthulhu" (the aforementioned silent film). Apparently, I need to watch more of them.

In the new HBO miniseries, True Detective, that just had its fourth of eight episodes this previous Sunday, there has been reference to Carcosa and The King in Yellow (not Lovecraft, per se, but Ambrose Bierce and Robert W. Chambers both influenced Lovecraft, and these constructs of their writing are considered part of the "Cthulhu Mythos"). I don't know exactly what they're building toward, but the mere mention of these things is pretty cool (and I certainly hope they do more with it).

Total bummer about Del Toro canning Mountains of Madness. I was very much looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Carlbom
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about this. Cthulhu is EVERYWHERE here in the states. So I'm actually very surprised there hasn't been some sort of "mainstream" production yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Carlbom
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robwrigley wrote:
John Carpenter's The Thing is the closest I can think to a 'classic' H P Lovecraft style story ever hitting the mainstream.

I need to watch The Thing again. Its been almost two years since I saw it last, which is far too long if you ask me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Im watching in The Mouth of Madness right now. I fergot about this film.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle D.
Norway
Asker
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In many recent interviews with Del Toro, he states he is still working on and wants to get Mountains of Madness made eventually. So its not lost forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478126/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 did a great job of bringing The Shadow over Innsmouth to a modern setting. It seems that a lot of folks could not see past the central characters sexuality and wrote this off as a 'gay film'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarik Zeraoui
Mexico
Mexico City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Stuart Gordon's "Dagon", it's an adaption of The Shadow over Innsmouth but set in modern Spain (don't get me wrong, it really works).
You should check it out guys, it's pretty good!!
And you also have the Whisperer in Darkness, made by the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society, the same guys that directed Call of Cthulhu. Even do the film differs from the original story in some aspects, I think it was also a good adaptation, but with a more "pulpish" style, since it was supposed to be made in the 30's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls