29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: First Timer: This Weekend rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Weiss
msg tools
Tips and recommendations? My expectations are, regrettably, very high. And you know what they say--best expectations are none whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Expect a resource management game, not a traitor hunt.

Be non-chalant about your loyalty card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revealing as a Cylon is an action! Everyone forgets this. Also, expect the game to take a loooong time, if everyone is a newcomer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshian Grr
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just review what you need to know if you are a turn 1 Cylon. If you're not, then most of your questions can be answered during the game.

But if you're asking certain types of questions, or looking at your loyalty card, you could affect the game.

That being said, if you are a Cylon, take advantage of your newbieness. Experienced players are more likely to let your bad plays slide as "newbie mistakes". Make them count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Make sure everyone is familiar with their abilities and negatives on their character cards. For the first couple of turns its not a bad idea to repeat them.

For example Bill Adama all 1 point skill cards count positive on his turn (remind me if its skill checks or just crisis checks) reminding players of that can avoid screwed up soft-reveals.

Gaius gets a free card of his choice on his crisis check after the crisis has been tabled and so on.

Get someone to deal you a dummy hand of skill cards and show the main types of crisis card and how they are resolved.

Make sure you are playing with 5 players total, or use the non-symp variant if its 4 or 6.

Be prepared to say "I'm not sure if I can state that" to any question you get, to preserve the secrecy rules. Some questions you will be able to answer but seek clarification before you do.

Best example if you get to see someone else's loyalty card you can honestly state "Human" "Cylon", "Not telling", "Other team from me"
You can also lie as well. To the best of my knowledge you cant say "They have the 'brig player' power on their cylon card" however.

You can state the nature of your skill cards if its relevant at the time such as "Anyone have an investigative committee?" but you cant list off all your cards and say "Do any of those help?"

Remember its a long game, and can have some heated debates.

With the base game, occasionally it'll feel very easy due to the cylon attack cards not coming out, or feel very difficult because too many attack cards come out too soon.
(I saw a 3 player game that didn't have a cylon traitor end after turn 3.3 because the attack cards swarmed out and they didn't have a pilot)

And obligatory "Have fun!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roboman wrote:
Also, expect the game to take a loooong time, if everyone is a newcomer.

+1

Another thing: if everyone is new, there is a good chance that things will go very badly for the human players in the first game. Seems to be a common experience, though not universal (I think my group played 3 games before the humans even felt like they had a chance). It just takes a couple of plays to figure out what the humans need to do to be effective.

Of course, figuring that out is part of the fun so I'll decline to give any specific tips here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game gets bogged down in table talk or side gossip, then get people back on track. You shouldn't rush every turn... there are turns to decide what to do in the next few turns to make some long term plans, and discuss who the cylon may be, but not every turn should take that long. Once you get past the 3 hour mark, with the "wrong group", players start getting antsy.

Also, have each player read their loyalty card for minimum 10 to 15s, especially if players have a YANAC (You Are Not A Cylon) card, so that the cylon players can read their own YAAC card without being outed. If nothing else, just note if you are a cylon, and what your reveal power is (the one-line part in boldface). I then remind everyone that if you are a cylon, then the following clarifications apply:
-the Sickbay one can only target someone on Gally, then that person discards 5 skill cards. IIRC, you can't target someone in the Brig, as opposed to target him to discard 5 skill cards and stay in the Brig
-the Brig one can also only target someone on Gally (so no C1 nor in space)
-the damage one has you draw 5 Gally damage tokens, and choose 2 to resolve. Match the locations or symbols beneath the resource dials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farrell Seymore
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read on another thread that it is recommended for games with a lot of newbies to play one round without issuing the loyalty cards. This would allow the basic rules of the game to be learned (and pattern of play). At the beginning of the second round distribute the loyalty cards and proceed play from that point.

Thoughts about this? I haven't played the game either and thought it sounded reasonable to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few tips for newbies. However, experts may see straight through this.

If you are a hidden Cylon, one way not to help with a skill check is to run out of cards. If you can over play your cards in a subtle way, then when a critical crisis comes up, you can say, "Gee, I wish I could help but I'm all out of cards."

There will come a time when you may get to peak at another player's loyalty card(s). If you're a human, you simply tell the truth. "He's a Cylon." or "He's a human." But if you're a hidden Cylon, you should have it straight in your mind how you are going react when you see the other person's loyalty card. If he's human, you could tell the truth and make that person think you're human. If you lie and say "He's a Cylon", then that puts suspicion on him. But he knows you're a Cylon.

On the other hand, if his card is a "Cylon" and you're a Cylon, by announce to everyone that he's human, you've now signaled your fellow Cylon that you're one too.

At any rate, DO NOT HESITATE WITH YOUR ANSWER. Everyone will suspect you're a Cylon if you can't decide what the loyalty is after reading it.

Boomer is an interesting character to play, but she can be frustrating for a newbie. She automatically gets sent to the brig at the Sleeper Phase, and a lot of newbies just sit there and sulk.

Be sure to use the abilities listed on the skill cards. Don't forget to Launch Scout to see the next crisis or destination.

Be suspicious of an Admiral that chooses a destination with a distance of 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fbsfbs wrote:
I read on another thread that it is recommended for games with a lot of newbies to play one round without issuing the loyalty cards. This would allow the basic rules of the game to be learned (and pattern of play). At the beginning of the second round distribute the loyalty cards and proceed play from that point.

Thoughts about this? I haven't played the game either and thought it sounded reasonable to do.

Tradeoff is those that deem it better to reveal first turn won't have that option now. However, with newbies it's always a shot in the dark, so if this takes pressure off some folks who are not as comfy with this sort of secret sabotaging, then it may be a good idea. Plus, the game does favor cylons more, so this bit of handicap should work out anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
saxophone wrote:
There will come a time when you may get to peak at another player's loyalty card(s). If you're a human, you simply tell the truth. "He's a Cylon." or "He's a human." But if you're a hidden Cylon, you should have it straight in your mind how you are going react when you see the other person's loyalty card. If he's human, you could tell the truth and make that person think you're human. If you lie and say "He's a Cylon", then that puts suspicion on him. But he knows you're a Cylon.

On the other hand, if his card is a "Cylon" and you're a Cylon, by announce to everyone that he's human, you've now signaled your fellow Cylon that you're one too.

At any rate, DO NOT HESITATE WITH YOUR ANSWER. Everyone will suspect you're a Cylon if you can't decide what the loyalty is after reading it.

Other people recommend just not answering since it gives too many players too much information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
j_holmes wrote:
saxophone wrote:

Other people recommend just not answering since it gives too many players too much information.

Another trick you can do as a Cylon seeing a not-a-Cylon card is to take forever to read it and then announce that it was a not-a-Cylon card after giving it back. People who noticed how long you took reading it will be convinced you're lying, and when you reveal, they'll be sure they know who the other Cylon is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the reading of the loyalty cards we make everyone go to a different part of the room and look at their card for 30 seconds. We don't want people figuring out Cylons because of how long they take to read the card, especially newbies. To me this method of finding the Cylons out is not valid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
You will make rule mistakes. Don't worry too much about them. Read the rulebook again after your first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pilots can be boring as hell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
therealtheshader wrote:

Whenever I am teaching BSG to a group of new players, I voluntarily take the pilot role because of it being boring at times. I'd rather have the first-timers enjoying themselves instead of meandering around in space with nothing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roboman wrote:
therealtheshader wrote:

Whenever I am teaching BSG to a group of new players, I voluntarily take the pilot role because of it being boring at times. I'd rather have the first-timers enjoying themselves instead of meandering around in space with nothing to do.
I've seen newbie pilots, human or cylon both enjoy themselves. However, it may be the exception than the norm.

On a similar note, some newbies really want to try out titles, and are disappointed when they get one-upped in the selection process. Some just let it go, but others will go out of their way to acquire such titles, which has created some unique and memorable moments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always tell them NOT to pick Boomer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
I always tell them NOT to pick Boomer.

Ah, yes. My group always calls the crisis cards 'no boomer checks' every time we see a Leadership/Politics pop up...which happen quite often. :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the new player, but sometimes I advise steering clear of titles - depends whether they'll benefit more from additional influence, or from lesser responsibility...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
It depends on the new player, but sometimes I advise steering clear of titles - depends whether they'll benefit more from additional influence, or from lesser responsibility...
I'm in Phil's gaming group. To clarify, this will be a group of all new players. We can't just pass off the President title to the veterans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
rpickman wrote:
To clarify, this will be a group of all new players.
Just have fun, and be assured you will make both rules mistakes and strategy mistakes. Don't let it stop the game. If you can't find an answer quickly, just make rulings at the spot and check them after the game.

It is great that your group learns the game at the same pace. It allows you to evolve your own strategies and play styles, make the game your own.

Good luck!

(The Humans will probably lose the game. Don't let it discourage you, and cherish the most tragic/epic moments.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
rpickman wrote:
To clarify, this will be a group of all new players.
Just have fun, and be assured you will make both rules mistakes and strategy mistakes. Don't let it stop the game. If you can't find an answer quickly, just make rulings at the spot and check them after the game.

It is great that your group learns the game at the same pace. It allows you to evolve your own strategies and play styles, make the game your own.

Good luck!

(The Humans will probably lose the game. Don't let it discourage you, and cherish the most tragic/epic moments.)
It was a lot of fun! Although it took us... about five hours.

There were six characters. (There were seven players, and two of them shared Apollo.) As it turned out, both Dr. Baltar and Helo were Cylons. I was human, but became a sympathizer at sleeper phase.

The Cylons did win the game, but it was actually quite a close one! The humans had reached 6 distance before we managed to whittle them down to 0 food and 0 population.

Generally, I think people had a good time. There was some head-scratching and rule-searching, but all in all it was fun.

Oh, and another detail: I was Tigh. To stay in character, I took a shot of tequila at the start of each of my turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Weiss
msg tools
rpickman wrote:

Oh, and another detail: I was Tigh. To stay in character, I took a shot of tequila at the start of each of my turns.

Best way to get people completely clueless and yelling. (i.e., fun)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Weiss
msg tools
DJWeisCracka wrote:

Best way to get people completely clueless and yelling. (i.e., fun)

I.e., we all took shots when Tigh did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |