8 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Skull card and siege engine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexey Miroshnikov
Russia
flag msg tools
If a defender winning a battle with a force of one footman, one siege engine, and one routed unit, but the attacker pulls a Skull card, may player choose siege engine or routed unit to sacrifice?

And if a defender's force contain only siege engine and routed unit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't choose SE or routed unit as casualty.

So in 1st example you have to choose a footman.

In 2nd you have only units that can't be voluntarily chosen, but you still have to kill one. We don't have official response with priority in this situation, so you can choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trásy Zsolt
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Than we played the game wrong for a half year now. :/
You can't remove routed units, thats fine, it is written in page 21 of the rulebook. But the order of the combat resolution is:
1. Determine victor
2. Casualties
3. Retreats and Routing
4. Combat cleanup

Since the retreat is after taking casualties, we thought, that we can take siege engines as casualty. Where does the rulebook says that we can't take them as so?
Please give me a page, our last game's ending depends on it. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/agot-bg-2nd-ed...
page 3, 1st question under Combat and Unit Movement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trásy Zsolt
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, than it makes sense. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fig
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hold on, I'm confused. The OP said the DEFENDING team won and that the attacker pulled a skull? Considering he won, shouldn't he be allowed then to take off the SE?

From the FAQ.....

Q: Can Siege Engines be chosen to satisfy the necessary number of casualties suffered as the loser in a combat?
A: No. Siege Engines are destroyed automatically as a result of losing combat in addition to all other casualties suffered.

There is nothing said about a winning SE being used on a skull. This isn't a normal siege engine situation. All the rules talking about a SE not being counted towards the casualties only come into play when a SE is LOSING and made to retreat. Unless I'm reading something wrong. I'm not sure why you'd choose to off the SE over the FM, but for the sake of argument I'd say you could choose the SE since you aren't being forced to retreat. You're simply being made to get rid of a winning unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right

Official Responses from FFG

Quote:
Siege Engines and the Tide of Battle Cards
What happens when an army containing a siege engine is victorious, but the opponent's Tide of Battle card shows a skull. When the victorious player is choosing which of his units to sacrifice, can he choose the siege engine at that point? Or is the siege engine still unable to be chosen as a casualty even though they won the combat?

"A Siege Engine is never allowed to be chosen as a casualty, no matter the source of the casualty."

If the attacking army contained only a siege engine and won the combat, but the opponent pulls the skull icon during the Tide of Battle draw, the skull would destroy the siege engine in that case since there are no other units to choose right? I'm assuming that the emphasis in your original response was on "chosen". If there is no other choice, then (and only then) can a siege engine be taken as a casualty from a Tide of Battle card with the skull icon. Otherwise, the siege engine would be immune to skulls as long as it wins the combat.

"You are correct. Siege Engines cannot be chosen as casualties, simply because they will always be destroyed before reaching that point. But in the event that there are no other units to destroy, you'd still have to destroy the Siege Engine because one of your units has to be destroyed."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fig
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
And I stand corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide