21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Light to medium space game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh King
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
looking for something not too complex that has fleets and maybe attacking planets with troops. i have Fleet Captains and love it. something in that vien that may be more accessable to the general population. core worlds? does it have a sense of exploration or is it just another deck builder. I'm open for anything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You asked for it.

Core Worlds: 2-5 players (~90min with 3).

Core Worlds is more than a deckbuilder. It combines the theme with the game mechanisms perfectly. You draft cards into your deck from a common pool, but you also have to use your limited amount of actions and growing amounts of energy (generated by your starting world and the worlds you conquer or using cards in the energy phase) to deploy troops into your warzone before they can attack and conquer the worlds that you come across. So, there is planning and preparation involved, which to me feels very thematic. But you also don't know which worlds and units come up each round (except in the last round), so you have to be flexible.

You have 5 separate decks for the 10 rounds of the game, so there is a sense of progression, and generally you can afford the cards that become available unlike in some other deckbuilder games. The cards are mainly unique. If you play with 3 players, it takes a few games to see all cards.

You never have quite enough resources to do everything that you'd like, so you have hard choices to make for the whole game. The last worlds you reach are the Core Worlds that give the most bonus points.

You always have a different game, and minor mistakes do not immediately spiral you into defeat. There is no direct conflict between players, but due to the common pool you have to keep an eye on what the other players are likely to do, and be faster than them.

The expansion Galactic Orders adds more units, worlds, and tactic cards and hard decisions in the form of events, but also ways to work around your energy and action limitations and also helps you cycle through the cards in your deck faster. It makes a great game even better.

You can start playing the game without emphasizing the deckbuilding aspect, and start to search for synergies and trim your deck more when you learn the game.

A second expansion is in the works, it will be interesting to see what it brings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you want the economic engine to go with it? Or just space battles?

Not too complex leaves Galactic Starfire out of it. You can do just the battles/scenarios, but even those usually take a few hours and can get pretty hairy keeping track of everything.

Which aspects do you want of the following to narrow down your choices (there are a LOT of space games out there):

- Economics
- Battles
- Ship customizing
- Politics/Negotiating
- Empire building

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Europe 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Empires: 4X
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be worth looking at Battle Beyond Space

If you're after something more 4x but still fairly simple (and fun) see if you can find Ascending Empires
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it is too complex but Cosmic Encounter?

Exodus: Proxima Centauri?

Galaxy Trucker: Anniversary Edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh King
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
space empires looks good, but is it complex? i don't mind complexity, it's just hard to get to the table. ideally would have the game 2 hrs or under. x-wing mini's fell flat for me. i dig the idea of empire building and fleet battles. ascending empires looks promising as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Commerce
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:

This.

It looks complex, but the rule book is remarkably short and easy to understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
You asked for it.

Core Worlds: 2-5 players (~90min with 3).

Core Worlds is more than a deckbuilder. It combines the theme with the game mechanisms perfectly. You draft cards into your deck from a common pool, but you also have to use your limited amount of actions and growing amounts of energy (generated by your starting world and the worlds you conquer or using cards in the energy phase) to deploy troops into your warzone before they can attack and conquer the worlds that you come across. So, there is planning and preparation involved, which to me feels very thematic. But you also don't know which worlds and units come up each round (except in the last round), so you have to be flexible.

You have 5 separate decks for the 10 rounds of the game, so there is a sense of progression, and generally you can afford the cards that become available unlike in some other deckbuilder games. The cards are mainly unique. If you play with 3 players, it takes a few games to see all cards.

You never have quite enough resources to do everything that you'd like, so you have hard choices to make for the whole game. The last worlds you reach are the Core Worlds that give the most bonus points.

You always have a different game, and minor mistakes do not immediately spiral you into defeat. There is no direct conflict between players, but due to the common pool you have to keep an eye on what the other players are likely to do, and be faster than them.

The expansion Galactic Orders adds more units, worlds, and tactic cards and hard decisions in the form of events, but also ways to work around your energy and action limitations and also helps you cycle through the cards in your deck faster. It makes a great game even better.

You can start playing the game without emphasizing the deckbuilding aspect, and start to search for synergies and trim your deck more when you learn the game.

A second expansion is in the works, it will be interesting to see what it brings.

Exactly what you asked for. I also gotta mention Eclipse, which only looks complex, but really isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperium

A classic game of space empires combat. A campaign is fought over the period or several wars (each of which is about 2 hours to play) separated by a variable period of peace during which time the empires rebuild and regroup.

Battles go through several phases:

1) Space battles
2) Planetary bombardment and planetary defense fire
3) Troop landings and planetary defense
4) Ground combat

All phases are fairly simple, lining up units and firing against one another over multiple rounds. In order to be able to land ships on a planet, you have to win the space combat, and survive any remaining planetary defense fire.

There's no exploration as such. The sister game Dark Nebula has one unexplored sector which both players can explore in hopes of finding new technologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Johnson
United States
North Judson
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshk1977 wrote:
looking for something not too complex that has fleets and maybe attacking planets with troops. i have Fleet Captains and love it. something in that vein that may be more accessible to the general population. core worlds? does it have a sense of exploration or is it just another deck builder. I'm open for anything

I do not agree with the Space Empires 4X recommendations. It does not qualify as more "accessible to the general population" than Fleet Captains.

I do recommend Empires of the Void. This is a lighter 4X game that plays in 90-120 minutes. It is to hard to get into, has some fun elements like a tech tree, and is step up from Risk while still being accessible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want Galactic Emperor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who also owns Star Trek: Fleet Captains, I hear ya on not getting it to the table often. Cosmic Encounter is much easier to understand and teach and has great involvement turn to turn, but not really 'space battle'. You do send ships, but it's more of a poker game of "what card will you play, is he going to use his alien power, are the allies going to help" kind of game.

Conquest of Planet Earth is 50s cheesy sci-fi and light, but probably not what you are looking for.

I haven't played Space Cadets: Dice Duel, but it's a team vs team game with 1 ship each, Star Trek style.

I'm probably not much of a help, I came to this forum to see some answers myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh King
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conquest of planet earth does look pretty cool. I like the theme. Empires of the void also peaks my interest. Space empires seems like it would take too long to play. than you guys for providing me some stuff to think on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing all these replies, I want to try several of these I hadn't heard of. The only game I currently have in my collection that is an Epic Space Game (TM), is Twilight Imperium (1st edition, I don't like TI3).

Well, I've got Starfire as well, but that's a game that plays over years if you want to play campaign mode. (but it is fun!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:

Have to also agree with SE 4x, nice thing is all the rules are modular. Don't like having to take ships back to bases to upgrade? Then don't... Everything is so smooth and well balanced with the game. It also has co-operative scenarios so you can work your way up to the competitive side.

And Eclipse is not an epic space battle game, it's a euro economy simulator with a space setting skin put on top of it. If you want to go a little more "flashy" and ameritrash without going the whole hog into TI-3 check out:

Exodus: Proxima Centauri

Does an awesome job replicating most of TI-3 with politics and all but in a 3 hour time frame rather than a 7-12 hour one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joshk1977 wrote:
space empires looks good, but is it complex? i don't mind complexity, it's just hard to get to the table. ideally would have the game 2 hrs or under. x-wing mini's fell flat for me. i dig the idea of empire building and fleet battles. ascending empires looks promising as well
SE:4X is fun, but I don't like the fact that the only way to win is by eliminating the other players. Not that one couldn't houserule something, but Eclipse and some of the others mentioned have a point system where you aren't forced into a particular path to win.

But what it does, it does well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone recommended Star Borders: Humanity to me in another thread and it seems like it would fit the bill for you too.

Cheers and good luck,
Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Light Speed!

Probably too light for what you're looking for, but I had to throw it out there. It's a darned fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I was actually quite surprised how fun this is. I like Star Wars, but I'm not a die-hard fan, so when I saw the game in the nearby shopping market, I passed by it multiple times before taking advantage of a sale and buying the core set before Christmas. The first game was so fun that I had to go back on Christmas Eve morning and buy myself another core set (best value for money), the last one they had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls