Subject: Actually not bad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Smith
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I have just played a few games of Superfight! using the core set and the orange expansion set. I have to admit I was a little uncertain about how fun the game would be but I've been pleasantly surprised.

Superfight! is essentially a card-based version of the classic "who would win in a fight between X and Y" argument. One player acting as the referee draws a character card (eg Wolverine or A Whale) along with two black cards which gives the character weapons or defining characteristics. This character becomes the opponent. The other players then have to chose a character from their hand, drawing two black cards of their own to form their fighter. The referee then declares which player's fighter they feel would defeat the opponent. The other player argues in an attempt to change the ref's mind.

The cards are sufficiently humorous to make the game fun as you will find yourself arguing the fighting abilities of an obese whale who thinks it is invisible against that of a pirate wearing a fancy hat.

The game plays very fast with a round lasting perhaps twenty minutes at most. The rules are incredibly easy to understand and include several variations of the game to try. Set up takes less than a minute and generally, Superfight! is a very good game for likeminded people to play after dinner or on a rainy afternoon. My only criticism of the game is that some of the characters and descriptions on the black cards can be very genre-specific and if you are unfamiliar with what is being described, that card's use in a competitive game is greatly reduced. However, this is an issue that only really appeared when using the cards from the Orange expansion.

Component-wise, the cards are of very high quality. The text is clear, easy to read and the cards themselves are glossy. The core game arrives in a sturdy box which is small enough for easy storage. The expansion pack is small in both the number of cards and the size of box.

In a nutshell, this is a clever little game which has used a simple concept to deliver an amusing way to spend an hour or so with those prepared to try new things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dire
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Thank you so so much for the review!

The good news is: the game has improved a great deal since the rules you were using. Attributes are no longer random. Players choose one from their hands, and their second attribute is given to them by someone else at the table! Effectively allowing you to trap that Stephen Hawking who shoots laughing gas inside a giant hamster ball (still one of my favorites).

And yeah, the Orange Deck is all geek references, which are so perfect for this game, but which have to be quarantined in their own deck and made bright orange so you can yank them out when non-geeks come over. Or whatever description you prefer. But as we all know, we geeks (or whatever) can be all kinds of fragmented. Not every geek loves Minecraft AND SciFi. So there is still some googling happening in that deck for even the most well-versed geeks. Which I love. Many use it to shame geek friends for not knowing why wearing a red shirt is horrible, or why IS A STARK is one of the worst cards that can be played on you in the game. But it's still my favorite deck, and the biggest seller.

Head to SuperfightGame.com and check out the new rules!

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls