RoboRally» Forums » Reviews

Subject: My review of Roborally rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
christian graciano
United States
California
flag msg tools
When I first looked at this game, Roborally, It looked pretty complicated. From the artwork displayed I believe this could be a move and attack game. When my group (that have never played this game) opened the box there were maps everywhere. At first I thought this was a build your own map type of game. The box said Roborally made by Richard Garfield and has a bunch of robots shooting lasers at each other. From first impressions I would have rated this game a 3.5 out of 5. But I rate too soon!

The rules on the other hand were very complicated. They weren’t straight forward, they were like riddles. My group and I had a tough time understanding the shooting, priority numbers, The moving systems of conveyer belts. It is not that the rules were not there, they took awhile to find because it seemed like the rules were disorganized. Anyway I would rate the rules a 1 out of 5.

Setting up the pieces was also very difficult. We had to learn the uses of some pieces through the rule book, which I already have mentioned, was difficult to navigate. These were the pieces we used and finally understood. The Movement cards, the flags, and life tokens. So coming to a conclusion, the pieces in Roborally were of solid quality, but there were a lot of them to try to figure out for a newbie of 12 and his friends to figure out.

The game aids actually helped us in the first playthroughs of the game. We made it through two games with my group and I making a lot of use of the game aids. On the third playthrough we did not use the game aids still I must say the game aids did help. I would rate the game aids 4 out of 5.

The game overall is good if you are playing with very good friends. Not to strangers or people you barely know in my opinion. But if you play with less than three people it gets boring. These are my opinions on the game and this was not the best game Richard Garfield has made. From a scale from 1 through 10, 10 would be that I will take this on a stranded island with me and 1 would be that i use it for firewood i would rate this a 3 out of 10. The organization of the rules just mess up the gameplay of the game and it made it not fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I respectfully disagree, I didn't have any probs with the rules
sure a couple things I would have changed, but not bad

I love the game, but it's better with the right crowd
I love the randomness and how your best laid plans can all go to crap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Christian I appreciate your point of view as a newbie to this particular game. I know that you and I disagree about this game, but I also know how your gaming group had a hard time navigating the rules even with my coaching/interventions and how much that obstacle spoiled it for you. soblue For that I applaud your candor, and the work that you did to put together a review.

I included this game in our class because Richard Garfield is a great designer for other games besides Magic...and this one is a gem in my experience. I do hope that you will give this game another try as we continue to explore other games in our gaming group elective. Maybe you will enjoy the chaos factor of making plans and having them messed up by other robot programs! shake

It is important in our hobby to hear out our newer members such as you, and for you to listen to the provided feedback of other gamers. As we say in Spanish...para Los gustos se hicieron los colores! Keep it up my awesome student and now fellow gamer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also am going to add a voice of disagreement. But chances are, most subscribed to this forum are RoboRally fans.

I do agree that the rules are spread out and a bit disorganized, tho I am guessing you are playing the 3rd edition, and I own the 2nd.

Having played this game for 15 years we still run across rule issues once in awhile.

RoboRally is my favorite game in the universe, but would never throw it to a whole group of newbies. One player should know the game, and hence your result.

There are 2 things you can do to make it more exciting. Play with less boards or the better option: make a line of 2-4 boards and go back and forth for more interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
I am the eye in the sky, looking at you. I can read you mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools. i can cheat you blind. And I don't need to see anymore to know that....
mbmbmbmbmb
It's OK not to like a game Christian. Trust me, I have been in the position myself where I seem to be the only one that doesn't like what is otherwise an extremely popular game. You did a very nice job on the review. Oh, and my wife read and understood those same rules, and still couldn't play it right, so don't worry. She has a hard time telling her left from her right. Check out this Session Report written by Mr Latoni. That's my wife he is talking about! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thank you Christian for your efforts in composing a review reflecting your opinion of RoboRally, a game I happen to love. My suggestion to you, since you and your friends are already somewhat familiar with an initial run of this game is to re-read the rule set again and make another attempt. This game is customizable, play with 1 or 2 board(s) and limit flags and lives to start.

I have always taken the time to read/study the rules of a new game 'before' attempting to play, thereby acquiring a better understanding in its overall mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scout13 wrote:
I respectfully disagree, I didn't have any probs with the rules
sure a couple things I would have changed, but not bad

I love the game, but it's better with the right crowd
I love the randomness and how your best laid plans can all go to crap

I agree completely. My wife and I have been playing it since 1995 and it is still our favorite!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls