Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if this has been asked a billion times already. I did a couple of google searches but have not turned up anything.

What kind of ROI (return on investment) do the Deluxe expansions offer if you are not planning to get any of the APs from their cycle? I know the Saga expansions are probably the best ROI in terms of cards versus money, but can the non-Saga Deluxe expansions be played and enjoyed on their own, or do they really require you continue their AP cycle to be worth the purchase? While I would love to throw $90 at the entire Shadows of Mirkwood cycle to expand my game, since I've heard it's a great place to start, I'm trying to consider the most economical long-term plan.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Deluxe expansions are mostly monsters and "bad guy" cards, and the smaller expansions are mostly player cards for deck-building.

So the question, I guess, is how much do you want new scenarios? Are you content to just play the scenarios you have? Or do you want new challenges for your existing decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
The Deluxe expansions are mostly monsters and "bad guy" cards, and the smaller expansions are mostly player cards for deck-building.

So the question, I guess, is how much do you want new scenarios? Are you content to just play the scenarios you have? Or do you want new challenges for your existing decks?

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind as I play the game. I am not ready for an expansion yet, but I like to plan ahead. If I were going to go for this strategy, I would start with the Saga expansions, so probably get a lot of player and encounter cards out of those, and at that point I will have a better idea what I want to do next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
In Deluxe Expansions (MSRP $30) you get 165 cards--about 30-45 are player cards and 2 are heros, the rest are quest and encounter cards--three quests and Encounter Cards for those quests (most of those encounter cards will be used again in quests in the following cycle, and some encounter cards are included that will only be used in the following cycle, which is to say they won't be used in any of the Deluxe Expansion quests).

In APs (MSRP $15) you get 60 cards: one hero, about 30 player cards, the rest are the quest and encounter cards.

So if you're looking for deck-building power, you'll get about the same from one-two APs as you will from one Deluxe Expansion, but where 2 APs for $30 gets you 2 quests, Deluxe Expansions get you 3 quests.

The Deluxe Expansions are certainly enjoyable on their own, but you'll get more out of them with the accompanying cycle

Shadows of Mirkwood contains a lot of great player cards, but you could come straight to Khazad-Dum and Dwarrowdelf and be comfortable too (Don't go to Heirs of Numenor first though, you'll be frustrated by the quests, we'll have to wait and see if Voice of Isengard is accessible to new players with only the Core set or not).

EDIT: Many have said that the Hobbit Saga Expansions are a great place to start expanding too. The designers set it up that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Completely agree with Patrick. If you are looking to stretch your budget though, consult a buying guide and skip AP's that don't interest you. Some of the scenarios seem to be a little less thrilling than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thesir wrote:
Completely agree with Patrick. If you are looking to stretch your budget though, consult a buying guide and skip AP's that don't interest you. Some of the scenarios seem to be a little less thrilling than others.

Would you lose a lot of the story that way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
If you cherry pick from the newer cycles (Against the Shadow and Ring-Maker) then probably, yes. The older cycles (Shadows of Mirkwood and Dwarrowdelf), while they tell an overarching narrative, are less cohesive and have diversions, so the story aspect is a little less there. This is particularly true for Shadows of Mirkwood where 2 of the quests are more or less entirely unrelated to the main story (Dwarrowdelf tells of a single journey from Rivendell to and through Moria, but the story aspect has become more pronounced in Against the Shadow, and presumably the same tack will be taken with the Ring-Maker).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both KD and HoN are very cool expansions all by themselves, whether or not you buy into their cycles. You get a pretty nice selection of player cards and three scenarios of varying difficulty. They won't revolutionize your deckbuilding all by themselves, but there are certainly a decent amount of useful cards in each. If you just don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on the game, I think just buying big boxes is worth it.

Of the two, I think HoN is better. Its heroes are more effective, the player cards are great, and all three scenarios are fun, challenging, and very different from most LOTR scenarios. KD's scenarios are fun enough, but they didn't keep me engaged for nearly as long. The catch is that HoN is very difficult for a limited card pool. You really want to have a decent pool before you go there.

I would still buy at least a couple of the APs, though. There are some great cards in them. I've never bought an AP and thought it was a waste of money. Even when the scenario isnt the best, the player cards always seem to be mostly useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I looked through cardgamedb and picked out the expansions that seemed the most appealing in terms of theme. Are there any significant problems with the following buying order? Specifically, would Black Riders be playable at the point I have placed it?

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Khazad-dûm
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Watcher in the Water
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Long Dark
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Black Riders
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Hobbit: On the Doorstep
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Stone of Erech
Further installments of the Lotr saga...

I know The Hobbit is supposed to have a lot of good cards, but since it takes place in an earlier time period, thematically it feels like something I want to wait for and play as an interlude. I am drawn to the Saga expansions in terms of bang for buck, but thematically am more interested in the side stories of the other expansions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Riders should be eminently playable at that point! I would recommend adding Shadow and Flame to the list, too. It has some of the best cards anywhere and a quest that will continue to challenge you for a long time. It's a frustrating, murderous scenario, but it is fantastically epic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been doing this specifically.

I only try to get the deluxe expansions and just pick off packs that seem interesting.

I currently have and recommend you get in order:
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Black Riders
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Hobbit: On the Doorstep

Stuff I have but you don't necessarily need:
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Khazad-dûm
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Foundations of Stone

Want I want to get in the future, in order again:
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Road Darkens
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Voice of Isengard
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Heirs of Númenor
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Shadow and Flame
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Watcher in the Water

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I've got a more long-term buying order worked out now! Includes explanations for why I've put them where I have.

Khazad-Dum: Want to start with a Deluxe expansion to get the most bang for my buck, but I don't want to start the Saga expansions right away--I'd rather explore the side-story aspect and original content first.
Foundations of Stone: I've read this is one of the best packs from the Darrowdelf cycle, and I like ancient nameless things!
The Watcher in the Water: Has a Strider hero, which is awesome, and seems like an interesting quest.
The Black Riders: This has intrigued me since before I played the game. I've heard great things about the quests and player cards, and I like the look of campaign mode, but I don't want to get it first for the reasons above.
The Stone of Erech: The quest seems right up my alley, but I don't want to get it first because it has no player cards.
The Road Darkens: Continuing the previous saga expansion.
A Journey to Rhosgobel: Basically just because I want to put eagles into my decks. I've heard the quest is poor, but I love the theme.
The Hills of Emyn Muil: Support for eagle deck.
Return to Mirkwood: Support for eagle deck, and the ultimate card for the final battle in the Hobbit saga.
Over Hill and Under Hill: More saga!
On the Doorstep: More saga!
...eventually...
The Hunt for Gollum: seems to have a lot of good player cards, including some nifty eagles
Shadow and Flame: heard that the quest is epic
The Voice of Isengard: (and others from that cycle) the theme sounds nifty, but I am guessing it will be difficult with just core set

Heirs of Numenor doesn't interest me much thematically, but I may change my mind as time passes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.