José Antonio Rivero
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria- Canary Islands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you who are already experts in playing Blue vs Gray, is there a strategy line to follow when facing two commands in combat,for example in which circunstances is it a good idea to withdraw cards from your command and when the opposite, adding new cards from reserve?

Also I read in the rules 7.6 that a player may in his turn dismiss a leader and: replace him from hand, or from another leader from same theather or just do not replace him. What can be a good reason to choose the last one, not replacing at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the important thresholds are have 5 and 10 strength differences, and units are only 1-3 strength each, often you'll be able to withdraw units (and lower the casualties you'll suffer) without affecting your chances of victory. That said, if you lower your strength, that may allow your opponent to reduce their casualties without changing the outcome. It really depends on the circumstances.

For example, if I have extra supply and not much cavalry to prevent raiding, I may bring a lot of units to a battle to push my opponent to do the same, forcing him to spend supply replenishing them.

Adding reserves to a battle can be a nasty surprise. For example, we might both reduce our commands to 4 units plus leaders, then I spring a reserve that allows me to win Soldier's Battles. If he adds a reserve to counter, I can withdraw my reserve to reduce casualties.

I don't have the rulebook in front of me, so I can't answer the 7.6 question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Antonio Rivero
Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria- Canary Islands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you James for your wise tips!
As far as I see it in the combat phase there is a game within a game.
You have to try and fool your enemy, outmanouvering and bluffing with the cards. Sort of "pulling the rope" and put it to the limit , with the risk of tearing the rope if you pull too much!
As you wrote while doing this you have to keep an eye to the magic margin of 5-10 which can balance the luck towards your side. Seems to be fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Jones
msg tools
Well, let's say you have Halleck in command of Thomas and Meade (you are after numbers). Then you realize you need two high-initiative commands. So you just dump Halleck and ride with Meade and Thomas.

Usually, you'd want to replace him rather than simply dismiss him, but you can play it either way you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Linneberg
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for dropping by and commenting on all these threads, Evan. I'm in my third game PBEM on VASSAL and we're loving your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls