The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: next purchase after the core set? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
What do you recommend as my next purchase after the core set? Rather one of the deluxe boxes or a 6 pack of an AP? Thanks for your tipps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe M
msg tools
mbmbmb
A deluxe expansion is basically 2 AP's with an extra scenario, but they allow you to play with the associated AP's.

The Saga expansions are the best bang for your buck, and only require the base set to play.

So your options are to progress next to the Mirkwood AP's that only require the core, get a deluxe that interests you, or a saga that interests you. Depends on your preference.

I used this: http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/new-player-guides/

The buying guide includes a helpful breakdown of the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to beat buying in order of release, but others have recommended the two Hobbit Saga boxes.

See also the (very detailed) Buyer's guide (spoilers of course) at Tales from the Cards (an excellent blog on the game) here:

http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Marquez
United States
Port Angeles
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a really good list, Patrick. Thanks for sharing. I currently I have Khazad-Dum expansion with The Watcher in the Water and The Long Dark (both APs I bought with very minimal research). While I lucked out by picking Watcher in the Water I wanted to do some research before buying another pack and after reading the buying guide I'll most likely be getting Foundations of Stone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to share it, I wish it were my site, but I don't have that much skill (or time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks alot. So I will buy the Saga box next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.