Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Dice Tower Video: Top 5 Party Games (from a wargamer perspective) - thoughts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Every 3rd video, we mix it up on a non-wargame topic from a wargamer's view.

This is the last of the original 3 that we shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kFD3NAbGnI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The list is immediately rendered invalid since no one mentioned Cards Against Humanity! Just kidding, i enjoyed the video because it was nice to get a new view of what primarily wargamers play on the side.

I enjoy a few of those games, but i don't think anything could make me enjoy Trivial Pursuit: Genus Edition anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HAMTAG ?

Well at least now I can search for your videos easily
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kreator82 wrote:
I enjoy a few of those games, but i don't think anything could make me enjoy Trivial Pursuit: Genus Edition anymore.

Who said anything about "enjoying?" whistle
(See my opening disclaimer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanghai Trader ure screw your neighbor in too many ways to count. Spend about 6 hours playing, and every dies at the end. No winner. What could be better as a multiplayer party wargame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of one a month later I should have had. I just don't think of it as a party game: Nuclear War. I actually took it a to a church party and about fell over laughing when a sweet old lady dropped a 100 Megaton warhead from a Saturn on me and when she spun and said, "Dirty Bomb! Double the Yield!" with great delight, as she nuked 50,000,000 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I'd be more interested to see your top five Euro or Ameritrash or whatever types of games, but this did make me interested in the Bang dice game. The card game just never really sits well with people, I've found, so I'll have to try it out!

Nice work guys, keep it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always describe Dixit as "It's like Apples to Apples, except it's good."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would like to see more list, maybe focused on specific wars/battles or mechanics (best hex and counter, etc). Not as interested in the non wargaming stuff, only because we are inundated with that and there is so little wargaming entertainment. really liked the first 2 vids.

Only other thing is finding the vids. Maybe someone should get a geek list going, or a thread we can subscribe to so we know when the new ones come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They missed one (and it had to be said sooner or later):

Case Blue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanking wrote:
Would like to see more list, maybe focused on specific wars/battles or mechanics (best hex and counter, etc). Not as interested in the non wargaming stuff, only because we are inundated with that and there is so little wargaming entertainment. really liked the first 2 vids.

Only other thing is finding the vids. Maybe someone should get a geek list going, or a thread we can subscribe to so we know when the new ones come out.

I disagree about not showing non-wargame stuff on these. Most of the time I'd prefer wargame stuff, sure, but one thing that I've found is that if I share several wargame preferences with a gamer, I'm more likely to enjoy their recommendations in other game types as well, certainly a lot more than Tom Vasel's personal preferences which I find impossible to maneuver for any clarity. (Not that I dislike his videos, I just can't compare and contrast his likes/dislikes to provide a satisfying aid to my game purchasing.)

It'd be nice to see the HAMTAG's perspectives on other types of games for those reasons, but as specials or something instead of all the time, since it is a Wargame video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I did enjoy the video after all, mostly because I really like these 3 guys! But as far as different perspective, their picks, besides Judd's, we're the basic Tom Vasel-fare (I mean that I a nice way!). I agree with jacovis, I would like to see their Ameritrash and euro picks. I just think most gamers pretty much all agree on most of these party games (times up, wits and wagers, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
At a recent con a man said "I'd rather play the worst wargame before I play a Euro"

- T shirt anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My top party game is Atlantic Storm/Pacific Typhoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so glad these videos are continuing. And while I do not dislike euro games per se, I cannot argue with the logic that "dinosaurs make everything better."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coil23 wrote:
I am so glad these videos are continuing. And while I do not dislike euro games per se, I cannot argue with the logic that "dinosaurs make everything better."

There is one game that a dinosaur cannot improve -- maybe two (I'm torn on one). But you'll have to see my ratings to see which, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls