Popular Tags: [View All]
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been running Romulans since day one and have played all the Dominion Wars OPs with pure or semi-pure Romulan builds.

I'm loving that there is an uptick in Romulan builds and strategies lately! For convenience, here's a collected list of threads that might be helpful to aspiring members of the Empire's military might.

OP6

OP 6 - Romulan - Two verse Three ship - Opinions needed
Romulan Fleet or Op 6

OP5
OP5 Romulan United Force build
Romulan Strategy for OP 5
Romulan OP 5 Pure faction build (somewhat controversial)

OP4

Romulan Valdore Spam for OP4
Romulan pure triple valdore or flagship vo w 2 valdore for OP5.
3 hitter Romulan pure fleet for OP4.
Need advice on 2 Romulan Fleets for OP4

OP3
Romulans for OP3
OP 3 build help (romulan pure)

SF/UF
Romulan Strike Force

General
TOS Romulan Fleet for fun
Romulans: Tactial Officer VS Torpedoes?
Valdore Swarm - can it work?
Romulan pure pair Valdore build

I'll go back and fill in some of the older threads later... Also, if you find a thread with a good Romulan strategy and at least a few posts hashing it out, add it below. Thx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm a Romulan player. I have been since the start too and I love this idea. I tend to place consistently 1st or 2nd. (one blip with a 7th place when I swapped up my strategy to try something different).

I think this is a great idea for people looking to get into Romulans. Just don't be dirty and put Picard on a Valdore. It's gross.

I'm looking forward to the GGT - can't wait to use some of it's stuff. It could really shake up the way in which I play Romulans at the minute,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheyenne Cummings

Manhattan Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aaron2310 wrote:
I'm a Romulan player. I have been since the start too and I love this idea. I tend to place consistently 1st or 2nd. (one blip with a 7th place when I swapped up my strategy to try something different).

I think this is a great idea for people looking to get into Romulans. Just don't be dirty and put Picard on a Valdore. It's gross.

I'm looking forward to the GGT - can't wait to use some of it's stuff. It could really shake up the way in which I play Romulans at the minute,

I have noticed a large number of people playing Romulan using the tactical officer. I want to hear people's feelings. I find I often have to use or want to use my action on something other the target like like cloak. Also as many people play Klingon in my group it's often hard to get a target lock when needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
More often than not, the Klingons will open fire first, letting you get that lock. You just have to be patient, keep the cloak up and get the lock next turn. It's really the only way of maximizing your attacks as Romulans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swingk2121 wrote:
I have noticed a large number of people playing Romulan using the tactical officer. I want to hear people's feelings. I find I often have to use or want to use my action on something other the target like like cloak. Also as many people play Klingon in my group it's often hard to get a target lock when needed.

Tactical officer falls into the same category as Counter Attack for me... with the limited action economy of Romulans, I just don't get to use it often enough and reliably enough to make it worth my while. Especially lately with the Romulan Flagship and Aj'rmr, there are other better ways to get re-rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I absolutely love Tactical Officer. The double rolls really maximize your damage and it's not terribly hard to get that target-lock. I normally end up with all hits from that bad-boy. And it's not like Romulans really have much in the way to do with actions anyway. I think our pool is somewhat limited.

I am falling in love with the Toreth, Joachim combo though. I flew a Valdore Flagship beast in first (and only until tomorrow OP4) that was just devastating - until I took one crit, WCB and blew up the next turn. Independent flagship (that gave scan and tech slot), bumped my Valdore up by 1 attack, 1 agg, 1 hull. Toreth captaining, Massacre as talent, Joachim and Tactical Officer. Also had IG on there. Unfortunately my venue tomorrow doesn't allow us to take that month's resource.

I'm curious as to your standard builds, conklin, as I normally field Tactical Officers as standard and he's never done me wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kelmelis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactical Officers are one of the few ways Romulans have to improve the quality of their dice (in faction). I fly one on every main attacking ship I can, and like Aaron, I tend to get all hits or all minus one hit. They're invaluable.

Against Klingons, I expect that I'm going to get shot at first, so I do my best to minimize that. I Sensor Echo my ships out of the way so only one or two Klingons can shoot at me, and then fly past them without shooting, dropping my Target Locks on them while maintaining my Cloaks. (I try to get my first target for the Klingons to be a captain with lower skill than both of mine so that when I destroy him, he doesn't get a shot back.) Coming around, I can destroy them without worrying about the reprisal. Rinse/Repeat. It's been quite effective for me.

My current list is a two-ship Romulan build.

IRW Valdore
- Flagship (Independent, Free Evade variety)
- Captain Toreth
- Massacre
- Tactical Officer
- Romulan Pilot
- Varyl (paid for with United Force, slot from Flagship)
- Interphase Generator (slot from Flagship)
IRW Khazara
- Captain Donatra
- Tactical Officer
- Romulan Pilot
- Romulan Pilot
- Interphase Generator
United Force

Generally I'll move up and Cloak on the first turn, and then every turn after that, both of my ships are Evading and Sensor Echoing (the Flagship gives me another action) until they can drop Target Locks, and then they line up the shot and take it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaron2310 wrote:
I'm curious as to your standard builds, conklin, as I normally field Tactical Officers as standard and he's never done me wrong.

Below is the current build (OP5). AO's were not allowed.

Strategy is to cloak and leave the OWP's alone using the Flagship free Sensor Echo to always make sure the Aj'Rmr is closer to OWPs...actually ok with taking a couple hits in order to use its special later.

"Fly casually" on the edge of the OWPs and let the enemy come to you through the field...then catch 'em off guard with a coordinated hard 3 turn, Sensor Echoing out of their arc if possible and using Romulan Pilot to get the Khazara up close. Perfect line up is Khazara within range one of enemy (Selok) and Aj'Rmr one range back from that (Invasion Plans).

All about waiting for the right moment and focus firing on best target. Khazara rolls 6 and re-rolls any number with Massacre potentially adding a hit thanks to Toreth. Aj'Rmr rolls 4 and re-rolls thanks to those earlier OWP hits, with opponent at -2 from Invasion Plan. Hardly ever have the Action to take a target lock and already have re-rolls so no Tactical Officer needed.

D'ds are not too bad to steer...stinks not having a come about but a strategic use of reverse 2 always helps. Natural solidness and Cloak with Interphase Gens make theses guys last a long time.

Resource: Flagship Romulan (10)
I.R.W. Khazara (30)
Toreth (4)
Massacre (3)
Selok (5)
Romulan Pilot (2)
Interphase Generator (3)
Ship SP: 47

P.W.B. Aj'Rmr (30)
Donatra (4)
Flagship (0)
Invasion Plans (5)
Interphase Generator (3)
Ship SP: 42

Total Build SP: 99

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheyenne Cummings

Manhattan Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I completely agree with everyone's comments. Tactical officers are extremely important and when able to use are extremely beneficial at making all hits problem is most ships roll 4-5 attack dice and other ships defend (usually cloaked) at 5-6 if not cloaked they are most likely running tetyron emissions making defense 4-5. If we get a full 5 defense will probably only get 1-2 plus more then likely have an evade. Now we have done 2-3 damage.

You most likely going to have to repeat the strategy 3 time to take out a ship and that means your going to be target locking instead of cloaking and taking attacks yourself. If you do fly like some have suggested then your probably out of arc and opponent won't fire either, meaning they will remain cloaked.

So options, you can take the Romulan flagship card and get 1 free re-roll on ships in range. This would replace 1-2 tactical officers and almost pay for itself. Or second option take the independent flagship card that gives a second action as well as strike force. Now both ships get multiple actions.

My preference is the second because first turn both ships take evades. Now you can attack instead of avoiding and possibly get a couple damage in. The second turn you target lock and cloak.

But these are just my thoughts take them or leave them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added a link to an OP6 thread in the original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like Tac Officer is very good, but maybe that's because I'm mostly playing Dominion and have only run a cloaking Keldon once. I always groan when I see it on the board.

dc0nklin wrote:
swingk2121 wrote:

Tactical officer falls into the same category as Counter Attack for me... with the limited action economy of Romulans, I just don't get to use it often enough and reliably enough to make it worth my while. Especially lately with the Romulan Flagship and Aj'rmr, there are other better ways to get re-rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
Especially lately with the Romulan Flagship and Aj'rmr, there are other better ways to get re-rolls.

Romulan Flagship is a no-brainer to take - the free sensor echo (one of the MOST useful abilities of the cloak) is incredibly powerful, and as you note - the free rerolls for the nearby ship are quite nice.

I've...not had as much luck with the Aj'Rmr. Even in OP5, with all those weapon platforms, where I could choose my approach carefully and try to get a few easy hits in for some rerolls...

Just didn't work so well. Seemed almost every time I might take a hit, my evades would be able to cancel everything except a CRIT, and...well, I obviously don't want to take THAT, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added another OP6 thread....