Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Cobb
United States
Conway
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Confession: I'm not really into wargames. At least I wasn't before trading for Ambush!. Great game and now I have this growing hunger for more solitaire war gaming.

Is the solo play in the COIN games good or just kinda tacked on? Would it be worth purchasing if only for solo play? And if so, which one(s) are the best for solo play?

I don't want something super heavy with tons of rules. Is FitL or the other games friendly to new/non wargamers? In FitL can I solo play each of the 4 different factions in 4 different games or are you always locked in to 1 faction.

Thanks in advance for your input or suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
jacob4408 wrote:
Confession: I'm not really into wargames. At least I wasn't before trading for Ambush!. Great game and now I have this growing hunger for more solitaire war gaming.

Is the solo play in the COIN games good or just kinda tacked on? Would it be worth purchasing if only for solo play? And if so, which one(s) are the best for solo play?

I don't want something super heavy with tons of rules. Is FitL or the other games friendly to new/non wargamers? In FitL can I solo play each of the 4 different factions in 4 different games or are you always locked in to 1 faction.

The solo A.I. rules are most definitely not tacked on. I have been a playtester for A Distant Plain and now Fire in the Lake and lots and lots of work go into making the A.I. bots work. I think I see dozens of emails a day now for those who are heavily into playtesting the solo rules for FitL.

I have played all the COIN games so far solo and have found them very challenging, maybe winning 30% of my games. It's fun and it's one of the reasons I love the series. I like to play solo a lot.

If theme doesn't matter to you I'd suggest starting with Andean Abyss or Cuba Libre. A Distant Plain and Fire in the Lake are more meaty and gritty and more complex than the other two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jacob4408 wrote:

Hi John! To answer the questions that I am able:

FitL will allow play of any of the 4 factions solitaire, as well as 2 factions solitaire against 2 bots. ADP and CL are tested for play solitaire of either of 2 factions each game. In AA solitaire you play the Government.

Playing any of he series solitaire does require more rules than multiplayer, because the non-player algorithms (mostly on flowcharts) must be implemented.

I note that many players seem to enjoy solitaire just playing all 4 roles against each other.

Best regards, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always VASSAL. You could do a solo game with a mentor ("looking over your shoulder", as it were).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

I own Andean Abyss and A Distant Plain, and have only played them solitaire (1-player). The 1-player game is definitely not tacked on, and I've played dozens of 1-player games with both AA and ADP. In fact, the reason I've gotten into the COIN series is because you can do it 1-player. Nothing against multiplayer, just the reality of my current gaming situation.

I'm also a playtester for Fire in the Lake, and right now, doing a 1-player test. As Volko alludes to, and I can tell you also, solitaire players will LOVE FITL, especially if you want a solitaire game that is realistic, historical, tense, diverse, and replayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric G wrote:
I'm also a playtester for Fire in the Lake, and right now, doing a 1-player test. As Volko alludes to, and I can tell you also, solitaire players will LOVE FITL, especially if you want a solitaire game that is realistic, historical, tense, diverse, and replayable.

To echo what Eric is saying, I'm also involved with FitL and have playtested the game (face-to-face) with 4, 3, and 2 other players, in addition to several solitaire sessions. It's been a fantastic experience each and every time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cobb
United States
Conway
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. Once I finish my current Ambush campaign I will pick up one of these titles while waiting for FitL to release.

btw, if anyone is interested in Ambush session reports, the latest can be found here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Munro-Chitty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Cuba Libre, it's the shortest (meaning it only has 58 event cards as opposed to 100 or so, still weighs in at 3 or more hours though) and it has the most versatility for playing solitaire (able to play the government or the insurgents) and it is probably the easiest to learn of the three currently available. I've heard ADP is pretty complex and Andean Abyss only plays one faction solitaire. Cuba Libre would be my recommendation for a jumping off point into the COIN series, I have played over 10 games (only one with 4 players) and I've only owned it for like 3 weeks : ) Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MÃ¥rten Lind
Sweden
flag msg tools
jacob4408 wrote:

Solo gaming in COIN is highly rewarding and a great way to learn the rules well enough for multiplaying to run smoothly. Because, as great as the games are, I would call them fairly complex. Its not pick up and play. 3h game time is for experienced folk, count on 6h+ for a game with 3 newbies and one who only read the rules.

I would not recommend coin for everyone. But for people like me, its gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls