5 Posts

Coup» Forums » Variants

Subject: Scoring Rules for Tournaments / Gaming Sessions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anh Khoa Nguyen
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Erh... so since almost all guys in my group are addicted to LoL (League of Legends) I have to make a LoL Rethemed of Coup for them to play. They loved it, but only one problem remained - sure you win this game but what about the whole night ? Because with this game playing one game is never enough. Who is the one that win most ? Who is the one that most deserve to be called the victor of the night ?

And so with that and based a little on LoL killing system I have tried this scoring rules and surprisingly they worked, if not too well. That's why I want to share it here for people that may want to use it ^^

First, you need some additional pieces - 5 crystals (or whatever tokens you see fit). We used red crystals because its looks fit the theme.

In every game, whenever a player eliminate another player (by killing the last card with Assassin/Coup or by winning a challenge and make them lose the last influence) that player take a red crystal as proof of the kill. When each game end, the winner score a number of points based on how many crystals he had :

1 - Ace. You have bid your time, have the last strike and eliminate the last remaining player to take the win. You receive 2 points.

2 - Double Kill.
You are on a rampage. You receive 3 points.

3 - Triple Kill. You are unstoppable. You receive 4 points.

4 - Quadra Kill. You are GODLIKE. You receive 5 points.

5 - Penta Kill
. You are LEGENDARY. You have accomplished a feat that few have achieved before and receive a whopping 10 points for this heroic feat.

You can all agreed on the number of games you will play (with tournaments) and then tally up the points. Or you can just play until you have enough, then tally up the points. Anyway, the player with the most points is the true Winner. If there are two, or three or more player with the same number of points ? Congratulation, you guys are equally witty/wicked and can shake hands as comrades. Or you guys can play one last Deathmatch game, whoever win this game is the true WINNER. That would make for a blazin' last event of the night, for sure.

The pros of this scoring system :

+ A clear winner for the tournaments or for groups that care about that.

+ Rewards aggressive players that enjoy challenging and exposing opponents. Sure there are a lots of playing styles, however it should be fair that the riskier you play, the better the rewards, right ?

+ The atmosphere is really great. Nothing can beat a heroic pentakill, and shouting out loud "PENTAKILL" after having done that is a moment you will remember for a long, long time.

+ Totally unrelated to the game, but it gives my LoL-oriented group even more of a blast playing this game than ever ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rana Puer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is cool, but I do see a potential side effect.

So this format rewards getting kills, right? That changes the incentives in this game a lot

Let's say you have players A, B, and C. A gets off to a great start and coups B early on. Then C gets up to 7 coins and has a decision of who to coup; meanwhile, player A has gotten back up to 4 coins. In a normal game, it's probably a good idea for player C to coup player A, because couping player B out of the game would leave player C in position to be couped by A soon and unlikely to win the money race. This would soon be followed by A couping C, giving player B a chance to recover from an unfortunate start.

However, under the new scoring, it might be good for C to just coup B and secure a kill. C is probably still unlikely to win, but the extra points from getting the kill might be enough to push the decision in the other direction.

The basic idea is that in normal coup, players tend to target the leaders in order to avoid falling far behind the dominant player. But in this one, players who are in a bad position are more likely to get targeted.

Another scenario: 5-player game, players A, B, C, D, and E each get to 7 coins. A is thinking about couping C, but knows that if she does, B will just coup C right after and get the kill. So A does something to waste time, like taking income or foreign aid that will be blocked. B is thinking about couping E, but knows that C or D will killsteal. So B finds an excuse not to coup either. Long story short, nobody else wants to be the first to kill, so nobody kills, and the game bogs way down.

Overall, I think that the changes might change the game so that the early game goes way slower, and then in the midgame it's impossible to come back from a poor early start. It also rewards killstealing more than aggressive play. Did someone with only one influence left just took an action? Why not challenge it, you might get a kill. People will dogpile on those with one influence while ignoring those with two.

I say this not to poke holes in your idea, which is good, but to analyze how the game will be changed by this new incentive.

Interestingly, I have a solution to make the game look more like 'normal' cup, and it is inspired by League of Legends!

If you give partial points to those who get the first influence hit on an opponent, everything goes back to normal for the most part, as it gives people an incentive to be more aggressive at the beginning of the game and then possibly come back to win later on.

Remember, it's not K/D, it's K/D/A!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dye
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As ranapuer says, this is a neat idea, but would change the point of the game entirely.

Shuichi Niwa wrote:
Because with this game playing one game is never enough. Who is the one that win most ? Who is the one that most deserve to be called the victor of the night ?

Easy. Keep up with wins…the one with the most over the course of the night (whether by kills or not). That person wins. The game is about politics, not just kills. And what is cool about the game is really NOT about single plays of the game, it is about how the gameplay morphs over multiple plays…focusing on only kills would be forcing everyone down one path, instead of the balanced paths that make the game popular.

Edits: due to bad autocorrects

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anh Khoa Nguyen
Vietnam
flag msg tools
Thank you for the advices ^^

I have also thought about that and in reality it is not much a problem. Because only THE WINNER get to score off the kills (no matter how many people you kill if you don't win then you don't have even a single point). And agressive players that try to kill too much is usually killed off by the patient one. You can still play the game the way you want, just know that if you take more risk and still win, then you will be rewarded more. You can still take the safe options and win 1 point.

The thing is this system help players being less passive - i.e someone know a person is lying but don't want to challenge because it doesn't directly involving him and don't want to take the risk himself. And that's true because even if you know the truth and challenge and win you still take a huge risk without any gains. Playing passive as a strategy or depend on the situation is fine, but too much of that (everyone just keep to himself and never challenge unless he is the target) and the game becomes boring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikki Tahta
United States
new york
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I like this idea of rewarding the kills. It might have an effect of reducing bluffing though - as the risk of bluffing will increase in line with the incentive to challenge.

One idea I tried a while back was rewarding the final cards
The winner reveals their final cards and takes
1 point for each Duke, Captain or Assasin
2 points for each Contessa or Ambassador
I'm not particularly recommending it. It was "OK" but frankly solved a problem that wasn't really there (underpowered defence cards) and slightly changed the dynamics.

When we ran the Coupe-de-coup at Essen last year - we had about 60 players in a 2-3 hour session and the top 2 of every table went on to the play-offs. That also distorted the play as people played for second place.

Point being is whenever you change the incentives you change the whole dynamics of the game with unexpected consequences. That's not bad - its just a slightly different thing at that point and you need a fair amount of testing to see if its really better, or just different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls