Subject: Yet Another Card Stock Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Grandy
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the newest edition of Haggis; love the linen finish.

However after only two plays (long game), the corners of my cards are starting to come apart. Anyone else have this problem?

Why can Bicycle make such solid cards that take abuse, but others have problems with making cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the answer - but Bicycle does sell cards in much higher volumes, and they can probably get quantity discounts that let them purchase sturdier cards for less money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadgr
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing with me. I was hoping the reprint would have better quality cards, like a decent set of playing cards. The new cards feel better than the earlier edition but are no more durable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Waller
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. I was going to start a thread of my own on this today until I saw yours Chris.

I'm really unhappy with the quality of the cards. I've seen lots of defense of the linen cards but I have two major problems with them:
1. They are peeling after just 3 hands of play!
2. The green color on the back of the cards is different (slight lighter/darker) on various cards

These are just bad and cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I break out my Haggis deck only for 3 players. With 2, which is my usual, I use professional grade plastic poker cards.

For what it's worth, as far as linen finish paper cards, Rio Grande/Abacusspiele seems to have made a decently durable card with their Tichu decks. Still not as good as Bicycle, but better than Haggis.

I guess the answer with Haggis is if you really want to play with the Haggis deck, just sleeve them. But, what I would like to see is for Haggis to become public domain. Then it would become more popular of a game and perhaps a company like Bicycle can produce the decks in larger volume.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jwallerrocks wrote:
2. The green color on the back of the cards is different (slight lighter/darker) on various cards

Which version has the darker backs? Over here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1093755/ks-card-missing I describe my predicament with a now 2 player version of Haggis due to mismatched backs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
...But, what I would like to see is for Haggis to become public domain. Then it would become more popular of a game and perhaps a company like Bicycle can produce the decks in larger volume.

Has this ever happened with another card game? Doesn't sound realistic, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Waller
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
jwallerrocks wrote:

Which version has the darker backs? Over here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1093755/ks-card-missing I describe my predicament with a now 2 player version of Haggis due to mismatched backs.

There is about 3 or 4 different shades and there is no rhyme or reason to which cards have particular shades. It is obvious enough that I noticed it but at the same time it is subtle enough that I'm not going to do anything about it. I won't play enough that it will affect gameplay for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spice
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
neoOberon wrote:
However after only two plays (long game), the corners of my cards are starting to come apart. Anyone else have this problem?

Hey there, yes I just received Haggis (2nd Ed) this week, I have not even played a game yet and the corners are already flaking away.... I didn't get a chance to sleeve them...

Is it worth getting replacements or is it common with this product?

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls