Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the repeated use of the phrase "on the other side" in 3.3.1 superfluous? In particular, can we say that an Active Controlled Minor Nation is "an unconquered Minor Nation at war with at least one Major Power that is not aligned with another Active Major Power" and and Active Minor Nation Ally is "an unconquered Minor Nation at war with at least one Major Power and aligned with an Active Major Power"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your phrasing leaves it open to crazy rule lawyering, e.g.:

and Active Minor Nation Ally is "an unconquered Minor Nation at war with at least one Major Power and aligned with an Active Major Power"?

So as the allies I can claim Rumania as an active minor ally because, per above, it is
A. Unconquered
B. at war with one major power (me uk)
C. Aligned with an active major (ge)

So in the end you still need to add , on the other side to this

A nit yes, people have argued / question less obvious, and folks always want things as tight as possible (even when the word count climbs a bit)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
I drink and I know things
badge
Night gathers and now my watch begins
mbmbmbmbmb
cfinchjr2 wrote:

and Active Minor Nation Ally is "an unconquered Minor Nation at war with at least one Major Power and aligned with an Active Major Power"?

So as the allies I can claim Rumania as an active minor ally because, per above, it is
A. Unconquered

A nit yes, people have argued / question less obvious, and folks always want things as tight as possible (even when the word count climbs a bit)

I think you missed the obvious. B at war with you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cfinchjr2 wrote:

A. Unconquered

I can see the rule lawyering potential in what you say, but I'm just confused by the following (here's part of 3.3.1):
Quote:
Active Minor Nation Ally: An unconquered Minor Nation
at war with at least one Major Power on the other side and
aligned with an Active Major Power on the other side
How can a nation be at war with a power on the other side and aligned with a power on the other side? Is that second "on the other side" correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The second "on the other side" is referencing the Major Power that the Minor Nation is at war with.

I.e. the UK is "on the other side" of Germany. So Poland would be at war with a Major Power "on the other side" (i.e. Germany) and aligned with a Major Power "on the other side (of Germany)" (i.e. UK).

Yeah, not the best wording there :-).

Easier to just have it say:

" Active Minor Nation Ally: An unconquered Minor Nation at war with at least one Major Power and aligned with an Active Major Power (having its Diplomacy Marker in their Force Pool): if Germany uses its free DoW on Poland, Poland becomes an Active Minor Nation ally of the UK per 17.11;"

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls