Slaughterball» Forums » General

Subject: 3 things I really like about Slaughterball rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JD Holl

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was fortunate to playtest Slaughterball over the many months it was being developed. I wanted to share a few thoughts. (These thoughts are completely unsolicited and un-vetted by Erik, the developer.)

Three things I really liked:

Like #1. Many paths to victory: I was the guy that almost always focused on scoring goals. I chose the fastest, most accurate teams and then ran around staying away from the others who were busy beating each other up. I just shot for the goals. I won plenty of times. But then at the other end of the spectrum was Dave who I don't think even knew where the goals were. He chose the biggest, strongest teams and went around scoring points by pummeling the other players out of the game. He won plenty of games too. Others tried a mix of goals and beat-downs with equal success. Which brings me to Like #2:

Like #2. Really tight games. We played mostly four player games and I think every game was decided by a single point between first and second. The last place player was rarely more than four or five points behind. Which brings me to...

Like #3. Simple but very effective catch-up mechanism. The last-place player gets to influence where the ball goes after a goal is scored (or missed). As simple as it sounds, this is huge. Being able to send the ball your way can get you right back in the game no matter how far you've fallen behind. And of course once you've caught up and passed someone, then they get to do the same thing. It works very well.

There are lots and lots of things to like about this game, but these are the three that really stood out to me each time we played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on all points. Its best to stay away from Dave, in this game and all others
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for confirming my hopes. I am really excited about this game.

I hope it funds soon so they can unlock some great stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Swan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really looks like an interesting take on games like BloodBowl etc.
But the shipping cost ... and then the VAT ...
Really way out of my league as a potential EU backer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
jholliday wrote:
Like #3. Simple but very effective catch-up mechanism. The last-place player gets to influence where the ball goes after a goal is scored (or missed). As simple as it sounds, this is huge. Being able to send the ball your way can get you right back in the game no matter how far you've fallen behind. And of course once you've caught up and passed someone, then they get to do the same thing. It works very well.
See, this is one part that sounds iffy to me, just because it seems very game-y and artificial. In terms of actual gameplay, it requires suspension of disbelief that the ball magically gravitates towards whichever player is in last place every time (as if the ball knows or cares what the score is.) I don't doubt it serves a purpose, and it might work wonderfully well mechanically, but flavor-wise it seems like an artificially tacked-on rubber-band that exists purely as a way to keep games close. Kinda busts the theme a little for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
jholliday wrote:
See, this is one part that sounds iffy to me, just because it seems very game-y and artificial. In terms of actual gameplay, it requires suspension of disbelief that the ball magically gravitates towards whichever player is in last place every time (as if the ball knows or cares what the score is.) I don't doubt it serves a purpose, and it might work wonderfully well mechanically, but flavor-wise it seems like an artificially tacked-on rubber-band that exists purely as a way to keep games close. Kinda busts the theme a little for me.

What about seeing it this way? The ball is ejected manually. There is a person controlling the scoreboard and ball ejector and they purposely are aiming towards the lowest scoring team. So the ball doesn't magically gravitate to them, it is controlled. So when playing you cam position your players near the lowest scoring team on the opposite side of the board.

I realize that only explains scoring though. I think after seeing a game play video it may ease some concerns a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

While I do agree on your point, other fantasy football games have similar problems. In Dreadball the ball scatters up to six spaces even when a player just failed to pick it up. In Kaosball scoring is just plain ridiculous and game-y to the extreme. In Blood Bowl you have to check if an interception is successful before the thrower has made his Pass roll.

Stating that other games break the theme as well might not the best point to make But I consider Slaughterball's scattering a minor offense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
What about seeing it this way? The ball is ejected manually. There is a person controlling the scoreboard and ball ejector and they purposely are aiming towards the lowest scoring team. So the ball doesn't magically gravitate to them, it is controlled. So when playing you cam position your players near the lowest scoring team on the opposite side of the board.

I realize that only explains scoring though. I think after seeing a game play video it may ease some concerns a bit.

I like this concept, Mike.

Regarding seeing it in a game play video, it's already being shown in the rules overview on how that works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troels Rohde Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ball doesn't scatter towards the loosing player.

The ball enters the field at random, and at a random length.

Instead of also having a random roll for direction, the player who is behind get to decide what that direction is.

So it is not nesecarily "in the narrative" that the ball travels towards that player, in the narrative it is just random. And yes, if something is truly random, it can happen 8 times in a row
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls