Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How replayable is this game compared to 1812? I get the sense it may have even more strategies you can explore due to the extra fronts you are fighting on.

Don't get me wrong, I love 1812 and will happily keep it for the topic and 5 players (along with being a great game) I am just considering buying this as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very high. I would say even higher than 1812.

Where 1812 has distinct "fronts" -- your land/my land-- 1775 is like a layer cake, with the factions scattered all over the US. Canada tends to stay British, but that can change too.

Very wide open where you choose to make your efforts, and when you want to play the event cards that can suddenly turn things around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduced the game to five new players this past weekend. A few of them mentioned after playing that they wondered how replayable it would be when they're only 12 cards in a hand. I wonder if there could be some expanded event cards perhaps up to 20 available and then a subset of those selected for play. I think that might add some variety and interest to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that is kind of my fear with 1812 as well which is why I posted this. With so few cards and a fairly static set-up, I wonder how often I will play it even though I love the system and game. If they ever sold card expansions I would buy them in a heartbeat.

Anyway I will wait to hear more opinions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it a game I enjoy teaching to new people but I don't find a strong desire to play it myself outside of that. I've played maybe 10 times now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
How replayable is this game compared to 1812? I get the sense it may have even more strategies you can explore due to the extra fronts you are fighting on.

Don't get me wrong, I love 1812 and will happily keep it for the topic and 5 players (along with being a great game) I am just considering buying this as well.

Fairly high, I'd say. You get two major scenarios and you can use the variable opening setup to try different things. I like to start in New Hampshire if I'm going second and my opponent goes elsewhere, but I've seen other openings focused on Maryland, New Jersey, or the South.

The timing of the events gives each game its own flavor. There will be similar ideas, but things can play out in quite a few ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:

Do you always play with the same people?

Playing with same group may lead to group think and players using similar strategy every time. I think there is much to explore in this game.

I have only played three times but for example if the British Army and the Loyalists death-stack near Massachusets and Rhode Island in the setup then the American Continental Army and Patriots really need to protect their two reinforcements places.

In any case I think there are several strategies how you can respond in the setup. I have to explore the game further but I'd say you have to play the game several times before you can see all the different possibilities and evaluating their effectiveness and long term consequences.Radically different opening hand may change your style, especially having some nice events in your hand.

Massachusets, Rhode Island and Connecticut are three valuable colonies in a central location. The rebellion side can't afford to lose all three of them, even worse if the British control them. I think that is one important thing to remember in every game.

Anyway, the game is very open to different possibilities due to events and wilds swing in the battles. I think the replay value is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls