Jake Talley
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Setting the scene

Last night (February 10) was the top 8 tournament for the Season Three league at Game Empire in San Diego, where I was trying to defend my title from Season 2. We had 26 people registered, of which 7 ended up playing fewer than 5 matches, and another 4 fewer than 10, so really only 15 people were competing for the top 8. Top 8 was decided by total points (2 points per win) and then seeded by average points per match. The cutoff ended up being at 38 points after 5 weeks of league play. I had 40, and my 2.35 points per match average had me seeded 5th for the top 8. The tournament had the standard 65 minute rounds, with ties going to the higher seed except in the finals, though there ended up being no time issues or ties for anybody.

My decks for the tournament were Kate/Atman and Personal Evolution/Bleed. I played them in the last week of the league to get more familiar with them, and had played each of them another week as well. I've been playing Gabe and Building a Better World for a long time, but I was getting a little tired of those decks; plus it seems everybody's playing Criminal these days. I was almost going to play Weyland for the tournament as I wasn't (and still am not, tbh) sure of the Jinteki deck's consistency but in the end I decided to give it a go along with a slightly tweaked strategy of planning to leave fully (or almost fully) advanced agendas on the board when I didn't necessarily need them, mainly Clone Retirement and Gila Hands Arcology since Profiteering and False Lead are so powerful.

Kate (46 cards):

3 Atman
1 Femme Fatale (1)
2 Sharpshooter
3 Self-Modifying Code
1 Djinn (2)
3 Datasucker (3)
1 Parasite (2)

3 R&D Interface
2 Desperado (6)
3 Clone Chip
3 Plascrete Carapace

3 Sure Gamble
3 Professional Contacts
3 Kati Jones
3 Infiltration
3 Daily Casts
3 Modded
1 Stimhack (1)
1 Test Run
1 Scavenge

Personal Evolution (49 cards):

3 Fetal AI
1 Private Security Force
3 Gila Hands Arcology
3 False Lead
3 Profiteering
3 Clone Retirement

2 Tsurugi
3 Neural Katana
3 Pop-Up Window (3)
2 Fenris (4)
1 Janus 1.0 (2)

3 Ronin
1 Project Junebug
2 Cerebral Overwriter (4)
3 Snare!
3 Shock!
3 Neural EMP

3 Hedge Fund
2 Jackson Howard (2)
2 Hokusai Grid

Round 1: Brendan with Whizzard and Replicating Perfection/Sundew

He won the roll and elected to be Corp first. This game was quite short, as I only accessed 3 cards and got 8 agenda points out of them. He did manage to score 2 points and thus was not completely dead in the water, but being forced into an aggressive running stance against a deck that wants to flatline you is pretty rough. As Corp I actually didn't draw into any traps which was unfortunate since he was basically forced to run on everything I installed, but instead I drew all 3 Clone Retirement and scored them for match point. I was sitting on a hand of 4 1-point agendas at the end of the game.

Round 2: Kenny with Chaos Theory/SMC and The World Is Yours/Fast Advance

I won the roll and elected to be Corp first. He used SMC to drop a Net Shield on the second turn. Sad face I dropped a False Lead with 1 counter, which he scored, and then an Overwriter with 2 counters, which he did not run on. He ran my unprotected R&D for a while and got up to 5 points, while I didn't see any agendas at all. Then I dropped out a Project Junebug with 2 counters (on a Hokusai Grid) and a Ronin with 2 counters, and I had two Neural EMPs in hand as well. He chose to run on the Overwriter that I'd left sitting out all game and took the 2 brain damage, presumably thinking it was a Ronin (or possibly an agenda). I then iced the Junebug (with a Pop-Up Window), and advanced the Ronin and Junebug once each for 2 turns so they were both at 4. Since Ronin+2 EMPs would kill him and he correctly presumed that at least one of them was a Ronin, he needed to try and get rid of it. But ... he guessed wrong and Net Shield isn't so good against 9 net damage. Still, he had 5 points and was playing fast advance so I had my work cut out for me on the Runner side.

He scored an Astroscript pretty quickly, which worried me, but he didn't have another agenda in hand the next turn. He drew and installed a card behind the unrezzed ice that had protected the Astroscript. I used Infiltration to see that it was Project Beale, and I had a Datasucker with 2 counters and SMC out so I decided to chance it. It was a Chimera, so Atman took the 2 points. I put out an R&D interface and looked at R&D a couple times without success. He dropped and scored a Beale and was using Jackson Howard to dig a little bit, either for more ice for R&D or another agenda, but the next time I ran R&D I pulled a pair of 2-point agendas for match point.

Round 3: Jeff with Andromeda/Siphon and Building a Better World/Econ+Scorch (I think)

This was a rematch of the Season 2 league final ... not too bad for a couple of guys that had missed the first week of the new league.

I won the roll and elected to be Corp first. On the first turn I played Hedge Fund and dropped Profiteering with 1 Counter. He did some stuff including Account Siphoning me and not running on my Profiteering so I got a bunch of money. I scored a False Lead so he had to be careful about his runs. Then he hit a Snare on his third click with three cards in hand and used the fourth click to clear the tag. Sadly, I didn't have, nor could I draw, an EMP to kill him. A couple turns later he scored a Fetal AI on his third click with 3 cards in hand and drew with his fourth, but I had a fully-advanced Clone Retirement (woo for the new strategic tweak!) on the board and another in hand to kill him. The 2 from Fetal AI were the only points he scored so things were looking pretty decent for me. (He might have actually scored the Fetal previously and hit another Snare there ... I don't remember exactly but the result is the same.)

We both took a mulligan in the next game. He scored a Project Atlas pretty quickly, but with no extra counters to worry me. I dropped a Datasucker with Atman in hand and used Test Run to get a Femme Fatale to run on R&D twice, and pulled a Private Security Force to go with my two sucker counters. In the meantime he'd built up quite a bankroll and scored Geothermal Fracking behind a triple stack of ice (all unrezzed). I ran into a Wall of Thorns a couple turns later (which I knew was there thanks to Infiltration) due to miscounting my costs to install and use Atman on it, but then a turn or two after that I installed an R&D Interface and pulled another agenda for match point.

This was actually a pretty fast tournament, as all 3 rounds were complete well within 2 hours of starting. Thoughts on the decks, and changes I might make:

Kate:

The deck is at 46 cards because I decided just before the tournament to slot in an extra Sharpshooter, though I didn't end up seeing any Archers. I had dropped the third Desperado and a Stimhack to put in a Djinn and Parasite. I like the Djinn inclusion, but the Parasite hasn't been so great and Stimhack is just awesome in this deck. As a result, I will be dropping the Parasite and a Sharpshooter for 2 more Stimhacks. I would kind of like to try out 2 Replicators since they're cheap and I run so much hardware, so I'm going to try dropping the Test Run and Scavenge to see how they work. I'm mostly indifferent about being at 46 cards, but I might remove the 3rd Plascrete.

Personal Evolution:

This deck is really fun to play. I've only won one game by getting to seven points; I've won many games by flatlining people. With that said, I definitely don't think this is the best version of the deck that can be made right now, and there are even more great cards for it coming out later (hello Shinobi!). I feel poor too often, so I'm going to try out Celebrity Gift and/or Sweeps Week. Fenris seems like it should be really great, but I have yet to inflict a brain damage with it, so that influence might be better spent on other things. Janus is pretty expensive and lots of people run either Faerie or Deus X so it's not as exciting as I hoped. Hokusai Grid is also kind of underwhelming since it's the only upgrade I have, and really the only one people are likely to expect. Making the Runner pay 4 to trash it is nice, but its trap value is fairly low. I also don't particularly like having the non-Fetal 2-pointer in there, so that should probably be dropped for Veterans Programs and/or Unorthodox Predictions. So maybe something like this for the next iteration:

-2 Fenris
-1 Janus 1.0
-1 Private Security Force
-2 Hokusai Grid
-1 Ronin

+2 Veterans Program
+2 Sweeps Week
+1 Cerebral Overwriter
+1 Tsurugi

The Sweeps Weeks could be swapped out for Celebrity Gifts to free up some influence, but I think they're probably better as long as so many people are playing Andromeda.

Anyways, questions or comments are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
scud80 wrote:

3 Fetal AI
1 Private Security Force
3 Gila Hands Arcology
3 False Lead
3 Profiteering
3 Clone Retirement

2 Tsurugi
3 Neural Katana
3 Pop-Up Window (3)
2 Fenris (4)
1 Janus 1.0 (2)

3 Ronin
1 Project Junebug
3 Snare!
3 Shock!
3 Neural EMP

3 Hedge Fund
2 Jackson Howard (2)
2 Hokusai Grid

Your deck is illegal. Janus 1.0 is 3 influence and that put your deck at 16 influence. Title lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
scud80 wrote:

3 Fetal AI
1 Private Security Force
3 Gila Hands Arcology
3 False Lead
3 Profiteering
3 Clone Retirement

2 Tsurugi
3 Neural Katana
3 Pop-Up Window (3)
2 Fenris (4)
1 Janus 1.0 (2)

3 Ronin
1 Project Junebug
3 Snare!
3 Shock!
3 Neural EMP

3 Hedge Fund
2 Jackson Howard (2)
2 Hokusai Grid

Your deck is illegal. Janus 1.0 is 3 influence and that put your deck at 16 influence. Title lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donovan Glidden
United States
Euless
Texas
flag msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Man - i know Jake, he was a regular gaming partner of mine until he decided to move across the country. I feel bad for him because i'm sure he didn't do this intentionally. Hopefully it was an error with the decklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Cavalier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Talley
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was writing from memory; the deck actually had 2 pop-up window and 2 project junebug. Friendly bunch of forum posters around here, I wonder why I haven't participated before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Meledeo
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scud80 wrote:
I was writing from memory; the deck actually had 2 pop-up window and 2 project junebug. Friendly bunch of forum posters around here, I wonder why I haven't participated before?

Don't sweat it too hard. People are generally quick to analyze and overthink things, but not mean spirited. The deck lists are intriguing, I might try my own version of that Jinteki as it looks appealing, even though I almost never play with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gum
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The BGG Netrunner forums are a cesspool chock full of hive-mind mentality and more pedantry than an Ivy League campus library.

We're also the best Netrunner community on the internet, so take what you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
scud80 wrote:

I didn't think anything anyone posted here was that bad, was it? You have to admit that posting an illegal, tournament winning deck is a pretty odd (and, in my mind, hilarious) occurrence. Glad to hear that you won fair and square.

I think you beat me with this deck the last week of the league.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spags
United States
Ill Mil
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Need money? MMC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Talley
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spags wrote:
Need money? MMC?

i can't exactly protect assets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Cavalier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theodorelogan wrote:
scud80 wrote:

I didn't think anything anyone posted here was that bad, was it? You have to admit that posting an illegal, tournament winning deck is a pretty odd (and, in my mind, hilarious) occurrence. Glad to hear that you won fair and square.

I think you beat me with this deck the last week of the league.

Felt the same, I was sure you made a mistake in typing your decklist, but still pretty funny. Most of the time the BGG community is pretty easy going, and not terribly aggressive, but when you post an illegal-tourney-winning decklist ... you gotta admit, you're kinda asking for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls