Breeze G

Renton
msg tools
designer
mb
Hey guys, we just had a pretty successful weekend marketing our game at Templecon in RI, and we've just put out the first version of our final packaged-in rulebook. Due to a rigorous schedule, it was kind of a rush job and we didn't have time to see how it reads to random strangers, so I was hoping for some feedback here.

Here's the game's premise for context: http://zephyrworkshop.net/aegis/
Here's das rules: http://zephyrworkshop.net/rules/

The pdf is big, but it's actually more like 5 pages of actual content since it's on quarter-sized copypaper. Most of it is getting started/premise stuff and ability glossaries for quick reference.

The game is teach-able within minutes, so I'd like to ultimately pair this thing down to a quick-start poster like Magic packages in with the starter decks they give out at conventions.

Any and all feedback is amazing and helpful!

Poll
How is it?
Just right at face value
Too long
Some things are awkwardly worded (please specify)
Found a typo! (please specify)
I got completely lost on something (tell us)
More diagrams needed
It's pretty!
      1 answer
Poll created by ZephyrW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breeze G

Renton
msg tools
designer
mb
Here's a tangentally related post on the dumbest things that didn't get included in the game

zephyrworkshop.net/blog/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breeze G

Renton
msg tools
designer
mb
Bueller?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breeze G

Renton
msg tools
designer
mb
Excellent! thank you!

Definitely addressing 1 and 2 for the next release. What's nonspecific about the Starting Zone section, though? I think it's pretty well defined on pages 7 and 8, the blurb on Advanced Rules' start zones is on page 7. Also yes, it's totally legit to combine your guys on turn 1, though whether it's a sound strategy depends heavily on the situation.

On 4, finding a good way to separate/mix standard and advanced rules has been a toughie. Originally we wer ejust going to have two rulebooks, but since 90% of it would be redundant we weren't sure if it was worth the time. Hm...

On 5, it's definitely hard to picture how some of the game works without seeing a bunch of robot cards for context (we have ~60 atm), but trust me, these work very well in practice. Once you get below 5 energy per turn it becomes pretty much impossible to do anything, and the game becomes something of a cat and mouse game. Same thing if all your guys die and all you have is a healer left. The energy depletion method also lends you to think more on the matter of taking low-producing, high-damage robots vs. high energy utility robots, and which will be better in the end, and gives your opponent a choice between what kind of robots they should be going after.

When we make robots we make sure not to lead to really silly situations like the ones you described; you can definitely run a low-maintenance team of all G's that produces like 8 energy total, but you'll have the trade off of all your robots being much harder to kill due to their high HP. We also try not to make too many robots that have no way of damaging, it'll be very very situational that you make a team that can't damage at all and lose due to Rout. We may change the wording a bit though to accommodate the inevitable "5 Debuffers.team" troll strat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breeze G

Renton
msg tools
designer
mb
We're slowly working on bettering our BGG database entry atm. And I got a fancy designer badge!
As always, looking for advice and feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breeze G

Renton
msg tools
designer
mb
Hm, maybe combining robots isn't appealing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Green
United States
Seattle
Seattle
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'd be interested in doing a play-test for you. Do you have a play-test package I can work with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls