Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Giant
United States
Douglas
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now a new "Kickstarter Edition" of the Kingdom Builder Big Box has launched.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1016374822/kingdom-buil...

This version crams in:

Kingdom Builder: Base Game
KB: Nomads
KB: Crossroads
Capitol Promos
Cave Promos
Island Expansion Tile
Unique Settlement Meeples
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Kingdom Builder Kickstarter Launched - sell me on it
zmapenguin wrote:
Right now a new "Kickstarter Edition" of the Kingdom Builder Big Box has launched.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1016374822/kingdom-buil...

This version crams in:

Kingdom Builder: Base Game
KB: Nomads
KB: Crossroads
Capitol Promos
Cave Promos
Island Expansion Tile
Unique Settlement Meeples

I haven't played Kingdom Builder before, but the concept looks familiar, enjoyable, and simple enough. Is this Kickstarter Edition a great pick-up for a new convert, or is it a big box of extra chip-board and wood better left to die-hard fans?

Not worth it. Have all of it and still only play the base game. The rest of it is totally unnecessary and just "meh".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Giant
United States
Douglas
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Not worth it. Have all of it and still only play the base game. The rest of it is totally unnecessary and just "meh".

Darn, I was really excited for the "unique" meeples. I have enough games taking up extra space already though. I think your Fantastiqa and Legendary variants are really excellent, so I'm pretty sure I should listen to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Brien
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
...but don't tell anyone!
badge
The Secret Bread Empire Über Alles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game, love the expansions, and think the new settlement pieces sound pretty cool (as well as the new Island expansion). Backing it at the early bird price of $70 seemed like an easy choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cyberkev63 wrote:
Backing it at the early bird price of $70 seemed like an easy choice.

If only it didnt cost almost that again ($60) to ship to Australia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Giant
United States
Douglas
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cyberkev63 wrote:
I love the game, love the expansions, and think the new settlement pieces sound pretty cool (as well as the new Island expansion). Backing it at the early bird price of $70 seemed like an easy choice.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for good looking components. I suppose it is only $25 more than the base set though.

Listen to Sky, knower of all good things, or do what I always do and buy the thing I don't really need?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Brien
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
...but don't tell anyone!
badge
The Secret Bread Empire Über Alles!
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
cyberkev63 wrote:
Backing it at the early bird price of $70 seemed like an easy choice.
Oh, yes, I totally agree with that - madness! And it would be a deal-killer for me; except, fortunately, I have an address in the USA that I can use...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just play your copy ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
Really happy they have an option for just the enhanced pieces (as I already have all of it (and it fits into the base box just fine so no need for a HUGE box)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
FWIW I have no idea if this Kickstarter edition is worth it or not, but we find the Nomads expansion and Capitol expansion to non-meh-ly add strategic interest and we always use them (i.e. randomly selecting from base + Nomads and applying Capitol when a board has 2 castles). I've still not tried Crossroads.

(Of course Capitol and Caves are trivially easy to home-brew.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Swinburne
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Seconded, I'd back it if the shipping was a lot lower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kunst
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
millercv wrote:
Really happy they have an option for just the enhanced pieces (as I already have all of it (and it fits into the base box just fine so no need for a HUGE box)
This.
And the Island expansion will be release in the future as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim W
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was waiting to pick it up till it came out in big box format. I often game with random "non-gamer" friends and having fun accessible games is pretty key for me.

I also sometimes think people who browse the geek get so snobbish about anything that is less that the penultimate example of strategy and depth. I for one like a mix of luck, randomness, and strategy in my games to even the field for those who are less experienced.

Also I prefer games to not take two hours. 45 minutes seems just about perfect to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
was hoping this KS would be 65 or 60, really dissappointing that queen basically charges MSRP on these, minus 10-20% for EB backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree it's MSRP. CSI is selling the preorder for $8.50 less than the kickstarter is going for, but will not include the island expansion. I believe MSRP is $90.

edit: I suppose EB is early bird backers, which is $85 and -- I agree -- not quite the deal. Then, assuming that the game is readily available at OLGS, it's as if you're paying $23.50 for the island expansion.

So the lesson is: pledge early. Easy to cancel later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Island expansion actually the next full expansion, or just a promo, or something in between (like a small expansion)?

I should just buy the new pieces (or nothing) being that I own the game and both expansions. But I'm tempted to pick up the big box. If nothing else, I'd finally get the correctly worded cards and rules for Crossroads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
LastFootnote wrote:
Is the Island expansion actually the next full expansion, or just a promo, or something in between (like a small expansion)?
It's not the next expansion. It's a promo or mini-expansion or something. It's one half-size two-sided board (not-full sized as depicted in the Not Final Artwork) and the stuff to go with it. It will be available some other way eventually.

The 3rd expansion will probably come out later this year although I won't know for sure for a while. It's a similar size to the previous two expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim W
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:

The 3rd expansion will probably come out later this year although I won't know for sure for a while. It's a similar size to the previous two expansions.

Do you happen to know if Queen is leaving enough room in the big box to fit the next expansion as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Regarding Kingdom Builder in general, I recently picked up Nomads and Crossroads (I have the base game of course). I wouldn't choose to play the base game without the expansions now. Although, if all four boards were from the base game occasionally that would be fine. So far, personally, I prefer Nomads slightly to Crossroads but that may change with more plays. Both expansions are great though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Winzzy wrote:
Do you happen to know if Queen is leaving enough room in the big box to fit the next expansion as well?
I have no idea how big the big box is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I reserved a $70 spot for myself. I may cancel later if I feel it's not worth it.

I only own the base game and trying to find the Nomads expansion is difficult. It's also very expensive when I do.

Does anyone know if this will coincide with a reprint of the individual expansions as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Grove City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Winzzy wrote:
donaldx wrote:

My choosing to back this will hinge on Nikki or Keith logging into BGG and their answer to this question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Giant
United States
Douglas
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some basic pics of the new tokens are up. Not exactly overwhelming. I'm sure they'll look better as actual wooden bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:
It's not the next expansion. It's a promo or mini-expansion or something. It's one half-size two-sided board (not-full sized as depicted in the Not Final Artwork) and the stuff to go with it. It will be available some other way eventually.

When you say its a half-size board, how does that work exactly? Will it be an add on to the already placed 4 boards making a 4.5 board layout? Or does the island expansion play separately from the rest of the board? Im interested in knowing how this works exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim W
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archive77 wrote:
Winzzy wrote:
donaldx wrote:

My choosing to back this will hinge on Nikki or Keith logging into BGG and their answer to this question.

Keith said he would check on it on the kickstarter messages. They have been surprisingly active there and I for one am pretty happy with the way they are handling the questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |