Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Duke
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very new to the hobby and could use some insight. For whatever reason, I seem to be drawn to several of the Queen Games titles. I backed the Fresco Big Box kickstarter but have worries about it. It seems like several of their KS projects come back with review mentioning missing pieces, poorly printed items, poor communication, etc. It could be that only the few that have problems are posting comments, but it seems to happen across the board. I'm wondering if seasoned veterans scoff at Queen Games? Or, are the problems inevitable and seem bigger than they appear.

The reason I ask is that I'm interested in the new Kingdom Builder KS project and I'm considering buying the Alhambra Big Box. Both would be large purchases for me and I need to get them out of my head if Queen is poor to deal with.

Again, I'd appreciate any insight. So many of you have already been so helpful...I really appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friends and myself have bought a number of Queen's games through the years and have never had a problem.

I've always considered their production values to be some of the highest.

Games of theirs that I own that have what I would consider to be good production values include Thebes, Wallenstein (first edition), Samarkand: Routes to Riches, Kingdom Builder, Dark Darker Darkest, Chicago Express + expansion, Shogun, and Rat Hot.

I think Thebes is one of the all time great games. We've had a lot of fun digging in the sand for the great treasures of antiquity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They sell zillions of games for a reason. Don't worry about it. You're fine.

That being said, I don't recommend the Alhambra Big Box, as I don't think the expansions do much. Whereas Kingdom builder almost begs for expansions.

And the best Queens games are Lancaster and Wallenstein. Wallenstein is a (very) big box game, but that doesn't seem to bother you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Passick
United States
Charlotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Drew: Hadn't heard about the Kingdom Builder kickstarter until this post. Now I'll be debating that potential purchase all month.

@Curt: Are the expansions for Alhambra really that unimportant? I keep looking into getting the game but the thought of spending $70 for the big box kinda turns me off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosmicsparky wrote:
@Curt: Are the expansions for Alhambra really that unimportant? I keep looking into getting the game but the thought of spending $70 for the big box kinda turns me off.
The expansions have their own BGG entry. You can look them up and read people's ratings. Just don't look at only the top ratings comments. You know they're all micro-expansions, right? Meaning each Alhambra expansion is actually 4 little expansions, and you pick and choose which you use. They feel like tack-ons to me, but ymmv.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased one of the original Fresco games (not Big Box, obviously), and it had a missing piece. Queen replaced it at their cost, and I think I got the piece in a week or so, and it came from Germany to California. So I've had a great experience with Queen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Alhambra Big Box. I really like it, I still haven't played all the expansions. I think it's worth it, but then again, I don't love the base game, so the expansion makes it better to me since I feel the base game isn't complicated enough (some would say, defeating the purpose of playing an entry level game).

certain expansions I will always play with: change and/or diamonds. The rest are good, but I definitely think you shouldn't use more than one or two. Think of it as a fun randomizer for your game. None of the expansions feel inherent to the design, they definitely feel like add ons, but they feel like solid add ons (most of the time) to me. I got mine as a gift, but I think it cost 60. I wouldn't pay much more for it.

If you do get it, I saw a great suggestion in the forum that you should roll a dice to determine which expansions you use. I need to get a dice to try it. (surprisingly, I have no spare d20)

Update: The Alhambra Big Box BOX is pretty annoying. It really doesn't hold things in place well, but if you keep your games facing upright all the time and never have a reason to tilt it, it usually isn't too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't comment about 'communication' on kickstarter because I don't use that.

But, I can comment on their product.

I own quite a few Queen games. I've only had one problem. I had gotten an old out of print game of theirs that was still sealed. There were problems in the game and on an off chance I e-mailed them.

They sent me all the needed parts even thought it was a game that was no longer in their catalog. It was quick and smooth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've got the same question really wanting lancaster at some point, and kingdom builder and escape. 3 big boxes i'd like to get. Kingdom builder price point for the big box seems pricey to me at 70$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own many Queen games and my only complaint is that the box is always five times larger than it needs to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're a bit of a gumball machine company in that you don't know exactly what to expect when giving them money.

I backed their Speculation KS campaign and there was a major issue with shipping slips being misprinted, causing US backers at the Alhambra Big Box level to receive the Family version instead. Queen was very quick to help with the issue, despite the bad timing with Essen 2013 and sent the backers affected by the issue the Big Box and not asking for the Family Box back.

Essentially, they took the loss for the sake of making the backers satisfied. I find this very noble and was pleased with their actions taken for this problem.

A year or two ago, I had bought the base Alhambra game from a local game store and it came with poorly printed token sheets. I mean, really poor. I contacted Queen directly and received two responses from a couple representatives saying that I would be getting new sheets right away. I never did. Ended up having to Sharpie the walls on many of the tiles just so the game was playable. (I eventually sold the copy to someone for $20. Yeah, they knew about the issues. hehe)

So, in my experience, it's a bit hit or miss with them, but really, I don't have any major gripes with them. I'm happy with my Queen games (three total, I think) and have always been impressed with one of their more social reps, Nikki. She's up front and quick to reply to questions and I think that's cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosmicsparky wrote:
@Drew: Hadn't heard about the Kingdom Builder kickstarter until this post. Now I'll be debating that potential purchase all month.

I think the Big Box is the way to go with this game. Not all of the expansions are necessities, but because of how easy it is to mix 'n' match and play the game to whatever mood you happen to be in at the time, I think it's worth the price paid. Certain games just deserve that sort of expansive treatment and Alhambra is one of 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil ...but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Queen Games is one of the big boys you simply don't need to be worried about them. ANY manufacturer can have an occasional issue even though I've never had any issues myself. I backed their Amerigo campaign and had no problems what so ever.

If you are feeling inclined to back Kingdom Builder go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
To be honest with you my experience with Queen games isn't very pleasant at all. I had a missing piece from a game I purchased from an online retailer called "Paris Connection" which I have notified them about via e-mail (I got their e-mail information through their website http://www.queen-games.de and didn't get a single reply. That was back in December.

So I notified them on Kickstarter since they seem to be really active on that. I've backed Fresco Big Box and I sent them a message on that account. I sent the message on January 30th, 2014 and got a reply back on February 1st, 2014 asking me where I had sent a message about the missing piece whether it was through their website or not. So I replied back on the same day and gave them a list of the e-mail accounts I sent the message to.

It's been 11 days since... and I have yet to get a reply about anything... and they have been updating their Kickstarter campaigns multiple times since then which means they have had plenty of time to check my message. Honestly it's pretty annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Kickstarted Amerigo and had a couple of issues. Number 1 was that they neglected to send me the game when the KSs were shipped. That took some time to figure out.

Number 2 was a part of the stretch goals didn't arrive. They apparently didn't print enough of that part (how is this possible with a known order?). I'm still waiting for that.

Having said that, Queen games are great games to play. But communication is a bit iffy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have nothing but good to say about them.
I had a problem with my copy of Alhambra and Escape: The Curse of the Temple(MEGA FUN game) and they fixed it, no questions asked.
10 stars service

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okduke wrote:
I'm very new to the hobby and could use some insight. For whatever reason, I seem to be drawn to several of the Queen Games titles. I backed the Fresco Big Box kickstarter but have worries about it. It seems like several of their KS projects come back with review mentioning missing pieces, poorly printed items, poor communication, etc. It could be that only the few that have problems are posting comments, but it seems to happen across the board. I'm wondering if seasoned veterans scoff at Queen Games? Or, are the problems inevitable and seem bigger than they appear.

The reason I ask is that I'm interested in the new Kingdom Builder KS project and I'm considering buying the Alhambra Big Box. Both would be large purchases for me and I need to get them out of my head if Queen is poor to deal with.

Again, I'd appreciate any insight. So many of you have already been so helpful...I really appreciate it.

Head over to Dark Darker Darkest KS and read the comments
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
WHERE IS JA?!
badge
Help me Ja Rule
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no complaints about Queen. If anything they have gone above and beyond for any issues I have had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls