Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
113 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Wargames you own and intend keeping, and you know you will never play again? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any in this category and I'm wondering how many grognards do own wargames that they know they will never play again, yet keep them in their collection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Hundreds of them. Many old titles that I know I will never get back too but are to hard to part with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I have several I've never played and likely never will, never mind those I won't likely play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably 70% of my collection, if not not more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep what I have mostly because I have no way of knowing what I will be into in the future. If I can travel to the day I die and know for sure then I will throw away or give away the games in question but then that future insight might trigger something in me to take up those games and mess up the time continuum or something then well never mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Not here. Even games I don't like will get played again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
I keep what I have mostly because I have no way of knowing what I will be into in the future. If I can travel to the day I die and know for sure then I will throw away or give away the games in question but then that future insight might trigger something in me to take up those games and mess up the time continuum or something then well never mind.

Yeah that's kind of where I'm at though i have lots of games up for trade in case I can get something I want more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Squad Leader for purely sentimental reasons. I've had plenty of other clear outs but it has sat there untouched by the purges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a select very-few terrible games (some of these are euros) that I won't play again, but for the most part I intend to play the rest when I have time. Especially after retirement (still 20 years away). I will probably end up giving the bad games away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
SPQR (Deluxe Edition). It's really too big with too many counters (and big stacks of markers) for me to actually enjoy playing it (I'm much happier with Men of Iron Series). But I love Roman history and just can't bear to part with it. I really want to like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
alexgrant wrote:
SPQR (Deluxe Edition). It's really too big with too many counters (and big stacks of markers) for me to actually enjoy playing it (I'm much happier with Men of Iron Series). But I love Roman history and just can't bear to part with it. I really want to like it.

If you haven't tried simple GBoH, you probably should. Berg also has
a prototype kicking around which looks even more like MOI's system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost every S&T magazine game from 30 years of subscriptions. Ditto for my collection of World at War magazine games. Ditto for my Against the Odds magazine games (only a hand full of those). In total, nearly 200 magazine games that I will likely never get back to.

Oh, I take them out of the closet from time to time and marvel at the maps, the counters, read an article or two. And occasionally, I pull one out and actually play the game. Once. Never a 2nd time. Recently I pulled out and played Conquistador and Fighting Sail: Sea Combat in the Age of Canvas and Shot 1775-1815. A friend and I recently tackled October War, but most of the magazine collection will still be in the closet, unplayed, when I leave this earth to meet my maker.

I have a feeling my 1977 SPI version of War between the States (first edition) will never see its multi map campaign ever get played by me. Though I have always fancied the idea I would do it, I can see it will be highly unlikely.

Ditto for Avalon Hill's Empires in Arms.

So many. Too numerous to list all. But these stood out in my mind when I saw the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
alexgrant wrote:

If you haven't tried simple GBoH, you probably should. Berg also has
a prototype kicking around which looks even more like MOI's system.

Thanks; I have. Still too many cohesion hit markers floating around for my liking. If he did produce a MoI version of SPQR I'd buy it in a flash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barr
United Kingdom
Ballyclare N.Ireland
Co Antrim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beware for they are Legion................

I have more games than life span to play ! and that's not counting Miniatures rulesets (and unpainted lead/plastic) or indeed PC wargames.

But parting t'would be such bitter sorrow..............
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruinrefugee
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
What does this "again" word mean? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm with Enrico here. Everything will be played and played again. The variable is merely my time to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
I'm with Enrico here. Everything will be played and played again. The variable is merely my time to do so.

There is another variable, although variable only in when it occurs, but its occurrence is a certainty.

Realistically speaking, I know that with every year that goes by, there are X games that I will likely not get back to. This is further compounded by the fact that wargaming is far from being the only way I use my spare time. There are other things that interest me (including a year-long model-building project I started about a month ago). That I have other interests also reduces my tolerance for overly involved game systems and poorly-written rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowman wrote:
I don't have any in this category and I'm wondering how many grognards do own wargames that they know they will never play again, yet keep them in their collection?

There is a LOT of games I will not play again, probably over 70% of my collection. No time. Especially since I started designing some. But I am still in denial about most of them so will not give them all away.

Mind you, I did give away for free 400+ games in the last few years, so it's not like I'm not trying to have others enjoy some of my overstocked collection!!!

I see it the same as my House's Library: I have lots and lots of books, will not read most back-to-back again, but I keep them for "reference" purposes. Same with games?

Hey, here's a secret: Now and then, I will sit on the floor in my main game room and ogle at the games on the shelves. Then open a few boxes, and eventually I'll perhaps play one. It's like being a kid in a huge game store, except that I already own all the games!!! Did it last night in fact. Then I had a sudden urge to check out a specific oldie following an interview of Jack Greene I read in the last Paper Wars.

Norway 1940

Well, lo and behold, it was somehoow NOT stacked with the other Quarterdeck games... It took me over on hour to find it (Hey, I stumbled on other games on the way). Yep, still have too many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Cafagna
Italy
Trieste
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highway to the Reich (first and second editions)
First monster game to hit the table in the 80's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sgt Steiner wrote:
Beware for they are Legion................

I have more games than life span to play ! and that's not counting Miniatures rulesets (and unpainted lead/plastic) or indeed PC wargames.

But parting t'would be such bitter sorrow..............

Same here. Games, PC wargames, and LOTS of miniatures. At least I have painted most of the minis. The last painted/played in 1998 (ouch!). Should get the brushes out one day to finish my 15mm 1815 Napoleonic Prussian Corps... meeple

Then Again: I am SURE that parting with some games will allow you to focus more on what you keep. And no good deeds go unpunished! In my case I am very happy to have given, besides others, the whole Advanced Squad Leader collection (I kept only the basic SL box), and after a few years the recurring nightmares of having given it all went away. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to be better about trading or selling off games to help offset the cost of new acquisitions. Still, I have a fair number of games that are not in good enough shape to fetch a reasonable price, and I doubt I'll simply chuck them. Most of my 80's era stuff, from ASL to Gulf Strike to Assault, are never going to get played.

Oh, and anything without a Vassal module that isn't in my personal top 10 isn't likely to get played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do lots of trading and selling and have had few regrets. A game I tried and didn't like, or a game that I feel has been superseded by a better game on the same subject, will go on the trade pile. But there are exceptions, games on interesting topics that I probably won't ever play, but might find some yet-to-be discovered future opponent who really wants to play a game on galley warfare, or the pre-WW1 Balkans conflict, or tactical WW1 battles, etc. And there are games that I keep for sentimental reasons (such as keeping a full set of magazine games intact). But overall about 70-80% of my collection are games that I do want to play (or play again).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Fleet Battles because I cant just throw away 20 years of counters, ssds, modules and magazines, and no one will give me anything for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowman wrote:

I suspect I have games I will never play again. But I don't know which ones they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
Star Fleet Battles because I cant just throw away 20 years of counters, ssds, modules and magazines, and no one will give me anything for them.

That's true. I bought a massive box of SFB stuff for $50 last year and it was worth probably $300+ at retail throughout the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.