Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Clements
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
OK, after a first play I'm completely hooked on the theme & mechanics of this game, but I'm incredibly frustrated by the poorly written rules. (When the FAQ is longer than the rulebook itself, there's clearly a problem)

Specifically, the rules surrounding the drawing of Mystery cards are a train wreck, and from my reading even the FAQ appears to contradict itself.

For example [italics from the FAQ, emphasis mine]:

Q: Just to be sure, 'Remains of a Settlement' says: '... draw 3 mystery cards (only resolve 1 [trap] and 2 [treasure] ...' Do I understand this correctly that instead of drawing 3 cards (which is written on the card), I can draw as many cards until I have resolved 1 [trap] and 2 [treasures]?
A: Yes.

OK, so I pretend the card says "draw mystery cards" instead of "draw 3 mystery cards". Fine. I can keep drawing until I've resolved a total of 1 [trap] and 2 [treasures] regardless of how many cards it takes me to do so. Once I've resolved the numbers stated on the card I must stop. But when can I stop?

Q: When a card tells me to draw 3 mystery cards and resolve one monster and 2 treasures (example in the rulebook, p. 16) can I decide to draw no cards at all or do I have to resolve at least one card?
A: You have to resolve at least one card of each specified type.

OK, so in the example above (1 [trap] and 2 [treasure]), I have to keep drawing until I resolve at least 1 [trap] and at least 1 [treasure], because that's one of each specified type. Got it. Oh, wait...

Q: From the rules I understand that I start drawing until I find a [trap] or a [treasure]. After resolving that card I can decide to continue or not. Is this correct? And I can make this decision after every card I find that is a [trap] or a [treasure] (in this example)?
A: Yes, exactly.

Aaargh! This directly contradicts the previous rule of at least one card of each specified type and says that in the example above (1 [trap] and 2 [treasure]), I can stop after the first [trap] or [treasure] instead of resolving at least 1 [trap] and 1 [treasure].

What the hell do I do when even the FAQ contradicts itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StickmanInDC wrote:

Q: When a card tells me to draw 3 mystery cards and resolve one monster and 2 treasures (example in the rulebook, p. 16) can I decide to draw no cards at all or do I have to resolve at least one card?
A: You have to resolve at least one card of each specified type.

Fixed.

There is no need to draw cards of each specific type.

In this example if you have resolved a treasure, and only one treasure, you may stop drawing or push your luck.

If you have resolved two treasures, you should probably stop drawing cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
the FAQ has been amended since
the link to the latest FAQ is:
http://files.neuroshima.org/RC_FAQ_v1_ENG.pdf

your question is answered as it now says
"resolve at least one card of any specified type"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Clements
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Got it, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ROBINSON CRUSOE FAQ v1.01 wrote:
Shortcut – in the Production phase it provides you with 1 resource that is available on the tile with the Shortcut. Could you still harvest the same resource from the tile with the shortcut in the Action phase?

Yes, you can.
This conflicts with the German rules (page 32). The German rules furthermore state that +1 resource bonuses apply to the shortcut's gathering ability.

ROBINSON CRUSOE FAQ v1.01 wrote:
The Map item and the Shortcut item both have two images on their reverse. Does this mean that once built, they are ALWAYS available, so a SHORTCUT is always available once it has been built, and the extra explorer token is ALWAYS available once the map has been built.

Yes.
Again, the part covering the shortcut conflicts with the rules I have. Page 32 states that the shortcut (token) is lost and its card is turned over (setting it back to invention status) once the camp is relocated.

And while the map's extra explorer token is "always" available, it should still be mentioned in the same sentence that it can only be used once per turn.

(I did not read the entire FAQ.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
shortcut and gathering: You can not Gather resource you already acquired during production phase.

shortcut and map: these are NOT 'one use only' items, but you have them till the end of the game. HOWEVER, different circumstances can make you loose them. You loose shortcut when you move a camp or you loose a Map when you draw an Event that forces you to loose it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ignacy, much appreciated. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
shortcut and gathering: You can not Gather resource you already acquired during production phase.
I love official answers, thank you! However your answer contradicts the official FAQ: can the FAQ be updated by removing the incorrect Shortcut entry, and adding the fact that "you cannot gather resources acquired during the Production phase"? This specific point is a common source of confusion here on BGG among players (the ZMan rules state something different: that you cannot do the Gathering Action on the camp tile), so it would be great if it were settled once and for all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls