The Real Giant Kumquat
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladies And Gentlemen
I've been craving for more board gaming since I relocated to Seattle. I went to a few meetups from the Alternative Boargamers group, I had good time and met great people, but I still prefer smaller groups, regular gaming partners and flexible scheduling.

I'm looking for some people in need of more board games, ideally in the Capitol Hill/Central District/First Hill area and with some spare time in the evening (or on weekends).
Let me know, thanks for reading!
S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, there is a Seattle Guild forum on BGG, which might get better response: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/42

Second, depending on what type of games you play, you might be interested in Metro Seattle Gamers. They're located in Interbay (near Magnolia), so it's not very near the area you're describing. However, they have a core group of gamers that attend regularly, so that matches one of your criteria. I'd suggest checking them out if you're into wargames. They do have people that meet there to play other types of games, but I think their core group, and main appeal, is to people that like wargaming. http://metroseattlegamers.com/

Third, if you haven't already been, you should visit Café Mox, in Ballard. It is in the same space as Card Kingdom, which IMHO is the most appealing game store in Seattle. Café Mox serves alcoholic beverages and bar food, and all the tables are devoted to games. You can check out games from a pretty extensive library, which usually includes the popular new releases. If you're an outgoing person, it's pretty easy to meet new people there, and if you already have a person to play with, it's a great place to meet up. http://www.cafemox.com/

Finally, a good place to meet local gamers is at Dragonflight, the local game convention that is held in August. It's not going to replace Gencon or Origins or PAX, but for a smallish local convention, it's well run, and features a pretty wide variety of games, so it's not hard to meet locals who like the same sorts of games that you do. http://www.dragonflight.org/

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in trying to get a regular game thing going at Chuck's Hop Shop in the Central District (it's on Union and 20th).

I agree that the meetups are a mixed bag, I prefer to play with my friends, focus on certain games, etc.

So, do you like to drink beer? What kinds of games are you looking to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real Giant Kumquat
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
crunk_posby wrote:
I am interested in trying to get a regular game thing going at Chuck's Hop Shop in the Central District (it's on Union and 20th).

I agree that the meetups are a mixed bag, I prefer to play with my friends, focus on certain games, etc.

So, do you like to drink beer? What kinds of games are you looking to play?

Hi Christopher
Chuck's Hop Shop is a few blocks away from my place and I've been looking for an excuse for a visit lately, so it all sounds excellent.
As for games, I'm fine with nearly anything fun that can be played in one evening, this being brain-burning euros, smart americans, silly dexterity games or party games (longer games are all right too, but I'd keep them for special sessions).

@Andrew
Thanks for your suggestions. I was aware of the metro games group and I've been at cafe' mox, but I'm looking for something more around me. I didn't know about the Seattle guild, I might post something there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mind fire
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
any interest in wargames? CNC Ancients, twilight struggle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real Giant Kumquat
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
mindfire wrote:
any interest in wargames? CNC Ancients, twilight struggle
Big, long wargames with emphasis on simulation are not my cup of tea, but I'm interested in trying some more light ones.
I played twilight struggle a few times and I loved it, from the CNC system I tried memoir'44 (and I liked a lot too) and I've being eyeing combat commander and 1812: the invasion of canada for a while.
How about some head-to-head sessions on the top of the possible Chuck's Hop Shop sessions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm out of town next week, but maybe we can plan for Feb 24th or March 3rd at Chuck's?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Honorable Salmon P. Chase
mbmbmbmb
Hi Giant_K!

I'm slowly building up more an more game opportunities and groups. Like you, I've had inconsistent luck with the Alt gamers group that meets at Raygun. The couple of times I've been through, most people were just playing MTG.

The gaming night over at Card Kingdom is great, but it's pretty hard for me to get over there on time.

I live in Capitol Hill as well (very near Raygun Lounge). I'm more inclined to play games at a private residence instead of always meeting at a store/coffee/bar. That said, I don't have issues with gaming at bars....I just tend to spend too much money that way.

Are there any specific games you've been wanting to try out? I'm generally willing to try any game, but I typically don't like deck building games (A Few Acres of Snow looks to be an exception to the rule). Ameritrash and light/medium Euro's are fine by me!

I'd love to find more 2-player gaming partners. I am a war game fan, and have many CDG's I've been wanting to experiment with. I'd be especially interested in a war game partner who doesn't mind a few drinks or a joint during a game session.

Check out my games and tell me if there's something you'd like to try. And let me know if you and Chris end up getting together sometime in the next few weeks. Hopefully I can join!

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real Giant Kumquat
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got mail, Peter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Pearson
msg tools
mb
Hey Giant_Kumquat,

I live a few blocks down from Raygun Lounge also and would be interested in meeting for some games.

There is a pretty regular meetup at Elysian on Mondays.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/comments/1xga6q/monday_capit...

The one at Cafe Mox is good too, although it's in Ballard which is not the most convenient.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/comments/1xjhs3/beer_board_g...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jaredpearson wrote:
Hey Giant_Kumquat,

I live a few blocks down from Raygun Lounge also and would be interested in meeting for some games.

There is a pretty regular meetup at Elysian on Mondays.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/comments/1xga6q/monday_capit...

The one at Cafe Mox is good too, although it's in Ballard which is not the most convenient.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/comments/1xjhs3/beer_board_g...

Hey Jared,

Giant_Kumquat and I are planning on meeting Sunday 23 Feb, 2pm at Raygun Lounge. If you're free, I'm sure our 2p session can become a 3p.

Gamers meeting gamers.

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real Giant Kumquat
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
majicbaby wrote:
jaredpearson wrote:
Hey Giant_Kumquat,

Hey Jared,

Giant_Kumquat and I are planning on meeting Sunday 23 Feb, 2pm at Raygun Lounge. If you're free, I'm sure our 2p session can become a 3p.

Gamers meeting gamers.

Peter
Hi Jared
thanks for digging out the meetup at Elysian, but at the moment I'd be more interested in having a smaller group of regulars to play with. Also, Mondays are not particularly good for me.
As Peter says, we're playing this Sunday, if you want to join us just let us know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy

I live on Cap Hill and have just started gaming again. I may be interested in meeting at Raygun or somewhere with beer and a large table. Driving isn't my thing so normally I stick to Cap hill.

I may show up at the Elysian thing but generally prefer smaller groups, more seasoned and less serious players. It would be nice to get back in with some regular folks who are laid back but into heavier games. It tends to be a struggle finding people who enjoy yelling obscenities at each other while playing BSG as well as sitting through a 4 hour game of Indonesia. Not that I'm picky, but part of the reason I've avoided playing socially is that I don't much feel like weeding through masses of people for good gamers. I may be evil but I'm not a wanker, I swear.

Gm me if interested. This weekend is no bueno, but the future is certain.

joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Come to Raygun Lounge this Sunday at 2pm.

So far it's just Giant_K and I, but give us a heads up if you'd like to play so we can grab an appropriate game. This is a good opportunity to just meet some fellow geeks. If you don't have the time to play a game Sunday, still feel free to swing by for a beer and to introduce yourself.

This isn't going to be a regular mass-gaming meetup, just a way to meet people on the Hill who may have an interest in finding people for gaming groups.

I'm going to wear a blue KC Royals hat because a pink carnation is too cliche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real Giant Kumquat
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
majicbaby wrote:
Come to Raygun Lounge this Sunday at 2pm.

I'm going to wear a blue KC Royals hat because a pink carnation is too cliche.

Joe, If the guy with a blue KC Royals hat and no pink carnations is playing with a short guy with a white bike helmet and a bizarre accent, that's us, likely.

More in your GeekMail inbox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real Giant Kumquat
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, Chris and I have fixed a session at Chuck's Hop Shop on March 5th at 7PM. Let us know if you want to join us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant_Kumquat wrote:
All right, Chris and I have fixed a session at Chuck's Hop Shop on March 5th at 7PM. Let us know if you want to join us.

I'd be down for Chuck's. PM sent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Pearson
msg tools
mb
I'm not able to make it to Chuck's tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hello Cap Hill Gamers!

Three of us met for a few games this past Wednesday at Chuck's Hop Shop in the CD. We're going to meet again next Wednesday (12 March) at 7pm for a few more games. Let me or Giant_Kumquat know if you're able to make it!

We're hoping to meet some people who are interested in starting a weekly game group (hopefully one that doesn't always meet at a bar).

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
This group sounded like a lot of fun -- I may have to try it out some time. I'm also a fringe member of Seattle Cosmic, a long-standing group that plays every Saturday night with locations currently rotating between Capitol Hill, Shoreline, Lynnwood, and Mill Creek homes. And, despite the name, they rarely ever play Cosmic Encounter any more. Look for them on Yahoo Groups for more info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Newland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm a Seattle gamer that loves all types of games as well. My gaming group has largely disbanded and I'm looking to meet new people to play some games with as well. I'm on Capitol Hill, but the northern part, but would be willing to travel to RayGun Lounge or somewheres else. I've also got a nice apartment with a large dining room table for games, if I ever need to host. Let me know what's up.

Cheers,
--Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Brian - I've heard about the Columbia Tower Nerd Night. I'm definitely going to make it up there one night (hopefully when the sun is out), but I'm hoping to start a weekly gaming group of my own. If you're interested in joining a regular game group on Capitol Hill, swing by on Wednesday!

Matt - PM sent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Pearson
msg tools
mb
Is anyone going to be at Chuck's Hop Shop tonight (3/19)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey Jared,

Yup we met tonight too. Check out this thread for future updates. We'll be meeting again next week, but may change up the location. I'll send you a message if you're interested.

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Kaiser
msg tools
Anybody want to help me learn Twilight Struggle? I have played at work a few times with people who didn't know what they're doing. I feel like I have a good grasp of the basic rules but would like to make sure that's the case and learn some strategy.

Would love to hear from peeps. Capitol Hill works great for me if I could get in on a meetup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |