11 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Incorporating Fog of War rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Tan
msg tools
Hi fellow Descent adventurers,

This idea just popped in my head and I wanted to check with you folks.

Has anyone tried incorporating Fog Of War for Descent quests? Should OL only reveal map tiles when the player heroes are inside or adjacent to a map tile?

Example, tiles that are beyond closed doors should not be revealed, neither are the monsters beyond. This applies to search tokens as well.

I'm just trying to incorporate as much realism into the game as possible. E.g in "A Fat Goblin" encounter II, the heroes technically wouldn't be able to see what is happening in the "interrogation room", when they are only near the entrances... More enthusiastic OLs can describe sounds beyond (if any)

Upon OL's discretion, adjustments can be made for "open area" or wilderness quests, as heroes can see further. This Fog of War is more applicable for dungeon crawling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did experiment (very successfully) with that in descent 1st ed. However, especially with 2nd ed. descent is not an RPG and is intended as a tactical boardgame where nearly all elements of the gameplay are revealed to all players, that is to say - there is very little hidden information regarding the scenario (one exception being the search tokens and perhaps a few others I can't think of just now).

That said, there's nothing stopping you developing house rules to make the game work however you like. I would say though that the heroes will be disadvantaged in having to work out what they have to do and where they have to go, while the overlord gets busy about completing her/his objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aesop_Fables wrote:
Has anyone tried incorporating Fog Of War for Descent quests?

Yes, about a dozen times. The consensus amongst experienced players seems to be that there is no way to do that with most if not all existing quests without completely breaking them.

Also see this thread that started just today.

Edit: My apologies if this came across as snarky, but this has been brought up many, many times before as a simple forum search would have showed you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n3rd wrote:
Aesop_Fables wrote:
Has anyone tried incorporating Fog Of War for Descent quests?

Yes, about a dozen times. The consensus amongst experienced players seems to be that there is no way to do that with most if not all existing quests without completely breaking them.

Also see this thread that started just today.

Edit: My apologies if this came across as snarky, but this has been brought up many, many times before as a simple forum search would have showed you.

I especially liked how your edit apology came across as snarky!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trouvere wrote:
I especially liked how your edit apology came across as snarky!!:p

Apologies for my apology then :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Flumontanus
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just came up witb an Idea that just might work:
So you got a "fog of war" or however you wanna call it: Rest, stand up and help someone stand up takes 2 Actions each. Also a standup Action just givesyou 1 red die. At the begin of the overlords turn, he can reveal a adjecred maptile if there are no monster on the board.

What you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flow25 wrote:
Rest, stand up and help someone stand up takes 2 Actions each. Also a standup Action just givesyou 1 red die. At the begin of the overlords turn, he can reveal a adjecred maptile if there are no monster on the board.

Honestly, I don't think any of this could possibly work unless some major changes were made to the game itself.

For instance, if I was the Overlord in a game using your suggested modifications, why would I ever reveal a new map tile? I'd much rather just let the heroes chill and draw cards instead.
So you'd have to change your rules so that the OL has has to reveal a new map tile when there are no more monsters on the board. In which case the heroes would try to permanently immobilize or stun a weak monster (e.g., a Zombie, Kobold or Harpy) and buy as much time as needed to regain full HP and fatigue and collect search tokens.

And how on earth is a not fully revealed map going to work with quests like The Masquarade Ball? The OL would have no chance in hell.

In my opinion, the only way to have a gradually revealed dungeon work is if either the Overlord player is removed and replaced by some AI (see the upcoming official coop mode) or if the quests are designed specifically for this variant (like in HeroQuest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Flumontanus
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good point...unfortunatly :-P yes i got to admit that heroquest was actually my rolemodal yeah so i guess somebody needs to convert the heroequest quests to descent 2. Edition !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Tan
msg tools
My apologies all. I'm very new to BGG, hence did not do an extensive search on the matter. My bad...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Flow25 wrote:
Good point...unfortunatly :-P yes i got to admit that heroquest was actually my rolemodal yeah so i guess somebody needs to convert the heroequest quests to descent 2. Edition !

That would probably be easy enough to do. Just swap out the heroes/gear from HQ for Descent heroes and map all the HQ monsters to Descent equivalents.

The only thing you'd need to actually invent are stats for named villains, and you may be able to crib some of those from existing LTs, too.

Heroes can't stand up (optionally can't be revived either) to make sure the OL still has a chance of winning by defeating all the heroes. But HQ was slanted in the heroes' favour anyway, so saying the OL will probably lose isn't the worst thing for such a conversion idea anyhow.

Re OP:
I can understand why you'd want to implement fog of war in D2E, but I just don't see how it would be possible without writing custom quests to suit the task. How is the OL supposed to complete his objectives if the map isn't fully built/fully revealed? Honor system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the game currently is, I don't think there is any way to easily implement this. Major changes would have to be made.

The distantly upcoming co-op add-on seems to feature exploration/"fog of war" (i.e. flipping over new tiles) though. We'll see how that goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.