Subject: Runner Specific Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blake Burkhead
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Or more accuratly runner subtype specific. I know their has been some speculation as to the purpose of types (natural, G-mod, Cyborg) on runners. Here's my two credits: Neutral cards with a subtype restriction. Flavor wise this makes perfect sense, each would have some unquie options (and disadvantages) due to their physical make-up. G-mods are probably easier to brain damage and cyborgs easier to trace. Not sure about balanced powers to give these cards, but cyborgs would obviously get hardware only they can use, (Console: My right Arm) and G-mods might get programs only their brains are capable of using, or controlling. (If you are not a G-mod take one unpreventable net damage everytime you use this program).

Corps could get Ice and operations that target spesific types of runners, or gain extra subroutine for them.

What do you think about some future cycle that would incorporate these ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I too, have put some thought into how cool it would be to see more things tied into the different types of runners, but frankly I've had to conclude that if there was a moment to make the subtypes highly relevant it has passed. We already have cards that ostensibly could have been "cyborg specific", like Spinal Modem, Feedback Filter and Cyberfeeder, but Kate has no problem splashing them. Anyone can benefit from the enhancements Joshua B ostensibly provides. While G-mod and Natural don't have cards that relate to them so clearly, there's certainly some that could have been made to fit. I'm not sure there's thematic room to add new runner cards that are specific to the types.

It would make more thematic sense on the corp side to have effects that specifically target certain runner subtypes, since this is territory that hasn't been explored, but then you butt up against the problem that there are very few decks that can afford to have a card that's dead or crippled from turn 1 based on something they have no control over.

That's not to say they won't ever get used, but I can't see them coming up except as a piece of ICE that has a minor variation based on the type of the runner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Burkhead
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
My thought was a basic to subpar piece of Ice that gets much better vs a type. There is a lot of room to play here. Str boost, added subroutines, stronger damage, damage type change, increased traces, NBN styled encounter effects that only trigger for the type, or cards that change their type based on the runners (Mythic: Gains Sentry if the runner is a Natural, Code Gate if G-mod, Barrier if Cyborg) to name a few. Also design space could alow for the counter side, overpowered Ice that crumbles to a type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the subtypes on the IDs are meant to be purely for flavour reasons, and I don't think much good would come from adding cards that specifically interact with them. You don't want to have too many cards associated with specific identities, otherwise you move more of the player base towards or away from identities just by printing a card that interacts with the subtype, which could be unhealthy for the game. It also means that they have to change the flavour for future cards to prevent unbalancing the game, which is a strange situation to be in as a designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls