Subject: Meaningful icons for card types rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cedric Bertolini
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ANR doesn't use icons to represent the card types, only text. When building an interface for deckbuilder or database or whatever, it's often interesting to use icons to convey meaning, because icons are much shorter than text. But icons have to be meaningful, otherwise their use will just confuse people.

When building netrunnerdb I picked a set of icons to represent the card types, but those are probably not the best possible icons. Since then some people (notably, FoolsRun) tried to create better type icons, to be used in netrunnerdb or any other application (a mobile app, for example).

I'd like to have an open discussion about which icons are best. I'm sure some of you are more than able to draw or pick an icon. We could gather a set of potential icons, then select the ones that fit best for their roles.

You can see the icons I have for now on imgur : http://imgur.com/a/oVZpf#0 . I'll add every proposition to the album.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

For hardware?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mentioned this before, the only one I really had an issue with was asset, which I think would work best as:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
The drive is the best hardware image, imo. It gets to the point for the tech illiterate. Even better might be something that resembles a computer/rig or motherboard.

The chip makes some sense since programs tend to take up MU, something the chip could plug into would probably best represent hardware; but I'm not an artist.

Assets are going to be hard to win on because it means so many thing. The box might be best; but if you could conceptualize assets into 3 things {sword, money, ???} where you could show those things being held by a single hand, in the palm, or in a box or something. Probably too busy though... Here's my crappy attempt, but I think it gets the meaning across for asset, but probably too detailed:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That felt like a David Thorne moment XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gumOnShoe wrote:
The drive is the best hardware image, imo. It gets to the point for the tech illiterate. Even better might be something that resembles a computer/rig or motherboard.

The chip makes some sense since programs tend to take up MU, something the chip could plug into would probably best represent hardware; but I'm not an artist.

Assets are going to be hard to win on because it means so many thing. The box might be best; but if you could conceptualize assets into 3 things {sword, money, ???} where you could show those things being held by a single hand, in the palm, or in a box or something.

I get what you're going for I think, but I think that's certainly too busy. The 'box' Tuism suggested works for me, but if you really felt it needed something more I'd just add a few symbols on the visible faces of the box - a credit symbol, a pie chart; simple graphics that still read at small sizes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
I agree; an artist used to making icons might be able to do a clean fairly simplistic variant on the theme, but I am not that man.

Although, I'm still pretty proud of my paint.exe-foo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. A.N.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
That felt like a David Thorne moment XD

Rumor has it that "Missing Missy" is going to be a card in H&P...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wheels
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:

For hardware?

I'm not really a fan of using real world symbols (in this case, the USB logo) to represent Netrunner cards.

I know it's for a deckbuilder and not the game itself, but I still would like to see unique logos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls