Subject: Mostly Cheap and Lazy LotR Storage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Light User
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
It's not pretty but keeps a small footprint, is effective, and relatively inexpensive. No gluing or printing required but you will need some scissors and a couple hours. Instructions follow below.

This setup is for NON-sleeved cards only.

This method keeps:
A: Encounter Cards in the box. One Core
B: All Hero cards, including allies, attatchments, events, etc in a binder.

The box stores all your encounter card sets and will fit all printed encounter sets in current release. As of 2/12/14

Note that I do NOT have any P.o.D.s and am missing Hobbit: OtD but you can see there's a lot of room left. The deckboxes, tokens, and threat trackers are only in there because they happen to fit for the time being.

What you need:

1. FFG LCG Organizer for Unsleeved Cards. $20 free ship on ebay.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Okay, $20 does sound a bit steep but I found it was worth it to get all of this shit put away. It's good quality and assembles in 5 minutes. Note that it's a bottomless, skeletal framework. Comes with 9 dividers.

UPGRADE: Extra dividers (9) for $8. Kinda high but free ship.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

2. Cheap ass binder. If you don't already have one they are available everywhere and you can score one at WalMart for $4.

UPGRADE: Enclosed binders with a zipper seal are great if you want to splurge. You won't have to worry about cards slipping out, dust, weather. The drawback is the bulk and larger footprint.

3. Binder pages of your choice. WalMart sells cheapo UltraPro packs of 35 for like $6. Target had packs of 30 for the same price but better quality. Two packs oughtta do it for a one core set + expansions.

UPGRADE: Premiums, side loaders, etc. You get what you pay for but this is supposed to be on the cheap 'n easy.

Deckboxes Optional but recommended. Every game store sells these and there is a wide selection to match your tastes. Mine is the "Balrog" see? I don't rock nyan cat, that is the girlfriend's . Prices avg. $2-$4.

Making Expansion Dividers
Just take your expansion pack and cut it apart to make a template. What you're going to have left is the front cover art and one box side where the title text is. You'll end up with an L-shape. Just look at the picture homeboy.

Everything is going to get cropped but you'll still have the picture and the satisfaction that you "didn't really throw away the 18 boxes". For anal reasons.

For the mid sized expansion boxes like Black Riders etc, I cut just the side title. I also cut out parts of the covers and pictures from the original insert to use for sub-dividers. Just because.

Notes
There's definitely enough room left for the remaining Saga expansions and the upcoming Ring-maker cycle. Probably enough for a few print on demand packs as well. It might be possible to squeeze the compartments and get a little extra space. After that it's 2nd Core time.

I DO use sleeves on our play decks but sleeving the entire collection doesn't suit me. It costs a lot of money and takes up way more space. I really don't see any benefit of it. Sleeving a deck takes a few minutes and when they get fugly they go in the trash.

I'm old school and don't like deckbuilding apps so a binder has a lot going for it. It's WAY easier to browse cards and sort than a filing card type system. Once you go binder you never go back.

You can also keep the rulebook, faq's, and the pages from all the expansion packs in them.

We use 4 binders, one for each sphere. I don't suggest this unless you are a couple like us who share a collection and deckbuild simultaneously. It takes up a lot of room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question:

LOTR is my first and only deckbuilder so I have no experience with the various storage solutions available. Does putting the cards in a binder tend to warp some of the cards? It seems like cards at the front and back of the binder might get warped, depending on how many are in it. Can't stand warped cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How thick of a spine are you using for the binders? 1"? 2"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Dudek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, love the box divider idea to show you what is what. I will definitely be picking up that organizer and then copying your idea Thanks a ton!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bruns
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the look of the dividers. I need to do that with mine. I still have all the boxes for the expansion packs.

Also, You've been on BGG for awhile. Have an avatar on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex Sinister wrote:
It's not pretty but keeps a small footprint, is effective, and relatively inexpensive. No gluing or printing required but you will need some scissors and a couple hours.

I actually think it's rather elegant in that it uses what is on-hand (insert withstanding), and it looks plenty tidy. Not as fancy as GeckoTH's but if it works for you and your happy with it, who cares?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Light User
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Gamien wrote:
Question:
LOTR is my first and only deckbuilder so I have no experience with the various storage solutions available. Does putting the cards in a binder tend to warp some of the cards? It seems like cards at the front and back of the binder might get warped, depending on how many are in it.

Nah, not in my experience. Maybe someone else will chime in on this. If you're worried about it I'd encourage spending the extra dollars for more premium pages as they are stiffer.

Blank pages tend to go in the back and you could always buff the front end if you want. Punch holes in the rulebook and keep that up top maybe.

Keep in mind that (most of the time) you are putting in 3 cards per "pocket" and that makes them less prone to bend. So, all 3 Zigil Miners for example. Some people put six cards/pocket but I don't like that. It's a matter of personal preference. Overstuffing could potentially bow cards but just avoid that.

I went and checked my old Middle Earth cards which have been in a zipped binder for like 15 years and they're all perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Light User
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
mlcarter815 wrote:
How thick of a spine are you using for the binders? 1"? 2"?

Because I'm using 4 different binders (One per sphere) I just used 1". And there is a lot of space left.

For a single binder I'm guessing 1 1/2"- 2" is plenty. If you get one too small or big you could always exchange it. Sorry I can't be more precise here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Light User
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
kingofthegrill wrote:
I really like the look of the dividers. I need to do that with mine. I still have all the boxes for the expansion packs.

Also, You've been on BGG for awhile. Have an avatar on me.
Thanks a bunch!

Hunt for Gollum was the first pack I bought and I threw it away before realizing I could use it. Ooops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that idea for the dividers, nice job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, I am doing the same as you......what did you use for the dividers for the saga expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Light User
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I just cut the saga boxes so the title would show on the top. Kind of like a cassette tape. Is that what you mean?

I didn't bother to divide by each encounter icon or anything like that.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls