Hide
4 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: A Game of Thrones - Cardgame - 5 Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rebel Angel
msg tools
Hello, I've read some threads saying, that it actually works with five players...it's just a little hard for me to imagine. I mean lets say Lannister *waves* starts and attacks Stark. Lannister and probably Stark will bend some cards. Stark is pissed and attacks back. Bend some more cards. Three houses left have 2 weak opponents to crush now...right?! Actually it seems to me that it gets far too passive if you're just being ready for getting attacked all the time and dont attack so you dont bend any of your cards...or am I doing something wrong?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I'm hoping you just kneel the cards and don't bend them. Lifetime of your cards shortens drastically if you do that

4 player games are already kinda like that. 5 player games exponentially cause that, and make the game really long. You do have the titles, and lots of people supporting each other. There's a big benefit to going last or near last in 5 players. Also, not kneeling to attack/defend becomes a greater ability.

In short, I would advise against playing 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebel Angel
msg tools
sorry for my wrong picked word there...I'M playing the German addition and made a 1:1 translation there ;-).

Ok, so in principle my worries are kinda justified, that it rather gets very...passive, defensive with more players as attacking is being penalised by the "later" players that have free choice of weakened opponents. On the other hand...it might also lead to attack/defend with fewer charakters instead of half of your army like in a 3 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is all about mindset. Some people are terrible at melee or think it is inherently flawed because everyone makes the same mistake. Knowing when and who to attack, when and who to defend against is one of the very first major strategic decisions that people need to understand, in joust as well, but far more importantly in melee.

The second is choosing titles that prevent certain players from being able to attack you.

Third is knowing when to make, and keep, and then break alliances and pacts of non-aggression.

These three skills are so hard for players to wrap their minds around and then use effectively because they have nothing to do with the cards or decks themselves, and instead are dependent on ones ability to recognize the benefits of long term planning than short term goal of power farming in hopes of out racing the other players to victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls