United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
as the title suggest, I had a game of x wing with my wife last night. she was pretty terrible, kept forgetting the rules, and I learned near the end that she was using any dial for any ship blush

of course she isn't a massive gamer like I am, but she plays other games that in my opinion have a much higher level of complexity, for example game of thrones lcg.

is there some thing in x wing that us gamer types take for granted but those casual gamers would find completely abstract and struggle with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried getting my girlfriend into this system and after a few matches, she decided it wasn't her thing. Plus, she wasn't into gaming in a big way to begin with.

There are just some things that gamers are used to and expect when we approach games that those outside the hobby aren't prepared for.

You'll have to be patient. If she ends up not liking the game don't push. X-Wing isn't for everyone and some might not want to exercise the spatial reasoning needed to really excel at this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing specifically female, I guess, as my wife tends to fly circles around me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stockdale
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
I sporadically review games...
badge
... It's a running kidney... Kidneys are kind of my profession...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some people are really not into the spacial reasoning you have to do to be good at this game. You have to be able to visualize things that are not there. It isn't like a board game where you can look down and see what it would mean witout trying to visualize it. In my experience that is why some people don't seem to take to the game. Or some people can't or don't want to spend the effort to come up with a squad, which is a big part of the game. Sure I can have one ready for them but a lot of the fun comes with coming up with new possibilities to try out.

My wife doesn't like it for entirely different reasons: she isn't really into games with lots of confrontation so... X-Wing gets played with other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisoc13 wrote:
I think some people are really not into the spacial reasoning you have to do to be good at this game.
Another part is that some people are not good at 'getting into the head' of the other players. You have to emulate the other players' strategy to be able to counter them. And in a specific situation (tactics) you have to decide if the opponent would consider this or that to be the best solution, so you can select your movement/action depending on that. This of course sometimes becomes: but (s)he knows that I think that, so let's do this instead..

In hidden team games you would have to guess what the other team member would do, for you to help instead of hinder. Logical thinking does help, but the psychology is important too. And this is where some people are worse than poor in setting themselves into the shoes of the other players.

In the OP's case with using the wrong dials, there seems to be a slight issue in recognizing the connections between theme (different ships) and mechanics (each ship type has unique maneuvers), which probably was just because of an oversight in the rules overview when starting the game. When you know that there are thematic reasons for things in the game, you start to expect them and ask what they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the quick responses. I will say that the spatial reasoning thing may be the answer. everyone else who has played x wing with me has got it and enjoyed it, although most don't want to build up their own squadrons I have to do both sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't a "pull up a chair and relax" kind of game. You're constantly standing, walking around, leaning over a table and fiddling with bits; not for everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mouser
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My fiancee just doesn't want to attack me, so she makes her ships try to run away rather than fight.....she lacks that killer instinct. So it just becomes a shooting gallery. I'd rather she went for the jugular in games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
piemaster713 wrote:
My fiancee just doesn't want to attack me, so she makes her ships try to run away rather than fight.....she lacks that killer instinct. So it just becomes a shooting gallery. I'd rather she went for the jugular in games.

see, my wife said the ships weren't dying quick enough. the squads were pretty basic, considering she has played before.

she had

luke skywalker with r2d2 and proton torps
arvnd crynld (ps6 a wing) with some missiles
ps2 y wing with ion cannon

I had

marek steele with expose
ps4 tie advanced
2 x ps1 academy ties

the idea was the turn order was a bit mixed up, and her ships were different enough that she would remember they were all different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegarend wrote:
Nothing specifically female, I guess, as my wife tends to fly circles around me.

I'm just imagining a game where you are for some reason terrible at choosing your maneuvres and your wife is literally flying her ships in circles while you gradually get infuriated with not being able to go anywhere and crashing into things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J War
United States
Aston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
My wife has no problems with the game, although she will sit there and say things like "sorry I suck at this game", "you are probably going to win anyways", "I don't even know why I try", and "I have no clue what I am doing", constantly... even while she is winning, cause she always thinks I have something up my sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Quote:
kept forgetting the rules
Quote:
I learned near the end that she was using any dial for any ship
Quote:
said the ships weren't dying quick enough

That describes someone who would rather be doing something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't the wife your looking for!......move along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironman99 wrote:

see, my wife said the ships weren't dying quick enough. the squads were pretty basic, considering she has played before.

Try using Wedge and a bunch of torpedoes on regular Xwings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Ames
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this article:

"HOW TO TEACH YOUR WIFE (OR OTHER RANDOM FAMILY MEMBERS) TO PLAY X-WING WITHOUT TURNING THEM OFF BY DELIVERING A SHOCK-AND-AWE BEAT-DOWN"

From "The Metal Bikini": http://www.themetalbikini.com/2013/08/seans-lengthily-titled...

I'm actually going to try this soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I got X-wing last year and asked my wife to try a game. She rolled her eyes, she is not a Star Wars fan. I introduced it as a stategy game and told her not to think of it as Star Wars. I started her out with basic ships, no upgrades or asteroids. She picked it up very quick. Now, its one of her favorite games. She can run 200 pts easy, with upgrades n asteroids. The key is tell them that they don't have to know anything about Star Wars. Worked for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe she just didn't want to play X-Wing?

My wife has tried it a few times. She's a massive Star Wars fan. Let me name the dogs Wedge and Mara (really). Just is not really into X-Wing. She loves other games, even super complex ones. Kicks my butt at a lot of them. Accept that she's not going to like everything you like and move on. It's ok to have some unique interests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Shurts
United States
Rockford
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic rules of the game are relatively simple, much of the complexity comes with using different ships and all the add-ons to the ship. From the list you posted, each fighter needs to be approached differently and each fighter has special abilities that need to be remembered.

So, simplify! Try playing a 55 point game and giving her only one type of ship and one special pilot.

This means she can get a feel for how the rules work without worrying about a bunch of exceptions. She can also get a feel for how a specific ship moves so the when new ships are introduced, she can tell there is a big difference. Make sure she puts the dial next to the ship she wants to move, this helps reinforce the idea that this dial is for this ship. Also, make sure you have ship maneuver reference cards available. These are immensely helpful when learning to play.

Try this:

Luke + Wingman (55)
-------------------
Luke + R2-D2 (32)
Red Squadron Pilot (23)

Help her remember that Luke gets a shield back when performing a green move thanks to R2 and he get to turn an eye into an evade when defending. Luke should be pretty hardy and keep her in the fight even when dice turn bad. With only two ships to plot, there is less for her to keep in her head. With the higher skill of the Red Sq. she should have a slight advantage in taking out a TIE before they really converge on her.

Maarek + Wingmen (55)
---------------------
Maarek + Expose (31)
Academy pilot (12)
Academy pilot (12)

The two TIE's can fly together and Maarek can act as a flanker. Try to spread damage around on her X-Wings. Hit Luke early so she can see how R2 works.

Finally, have a Star Wars movie night and see if that sparks some interest in playing again. Your wife is being trying to participate in something you enjoy, so make sure you also do something nice for her especially before asking her to play again. Clean the house, buy her some flowers, or something a couple days in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls