Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

I'm looking to play one of the adventure modules with my gaming group, but I'm a bit worried about the play time. I've read somewhere that modules should take about 2.5 hours, which sounds good because that is the exact amount of time we have to play.

What I'm worried about is the popular convention publishers have of "shaving" the estimated play time, sometimes quite liberally, to make the game more attractive to the mass market.

So, what I'm asking is this: Is the game time really 2.5 hours? I'd hate to start the adventure, then not finish it and have the storyline spoiled. We frequently have different people show up from week to week, so it's not like we can just "finish it next time."

What things can I do to reduce playtime?

A1 vs. A2 - does one tend to run shorter?

I assume number of players will affect playtime. How about use of the events/relics? (I have not looked at the adventures, so I don't know if they are part of the experience or not.)

Any other ideas for making sure we finish in under 2.5 hours?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Wesley

Yeah, we pesky publishers and our time shaving. (hmmm. guilty?)

The big question is... do you have a table of experienced players?
Teaching the rules will add time. For an experienced group, who is not prone to analysis paralysis or drawn out rules lawyering, 2.5 hours should be ample time. Any of those three time eaters will cut into it.

My best suggestion for minimizing these factors is to:
1. Have everyone know the rules before you begin. We have recently worked with "Watch It Played" for a very clear and complete, 24 minute, instructional video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCSUR485V64
2. Let players know about the constraint and agree beforehand to settle any in-game questions quickly for the sake of time (and verify the rulings after the fact) and to make their individual decisions quickly during the game.

All of the adventures run around the same amount of time... 60 pages of content and you do not do every single page as choices determine your path through the book.

My personal favorite remains Mad God's Maze. But they are all fun.

Please post a session report, letting us know how it goes, when you have a chance to play it.

Best
Curt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls