Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian K
England
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the Iwo Jima map with the radar station at the top of the hill. And what I eventually worked out was the end of the runway at the bottom of the hill.

The Americans set up in 3 groups. Two larger ones left and right of centre and a smaller one on the runway providing artillery support and blocking the exit of any bypassed Japanese.

The Japanese then set up fairly well forward in the gaps between the US groups. Wire was placed directly in front of the Japanese to keep the Americans honest and encourage them to move up the fire lanes provided. A cave was placed on the crest of the hill should relocation be necessary.

Initial luck favoured Japan. When I say favoured I mean 2 fire orders in their first turn eliminated 2 units and the pack howitzer. The US forces took a whole string of casualties just getting themselves forward and only their leftmost group was still in good shape. This did however manage to run the gauntlet and flank the Japanese. A couple of units were lost but the rest made their way onto the hilltop. Where the Japanese had relocated via the tunnels.

A random event now placed a blaze between the two and allowed the Allies to capture objective 5 unopposed. This gave a 28 point VP swing, but still wasn't enough with all of the eliminated marines. They had to hold the building now against the Japanese counter attack- simply exiting wouldn't be enough. But they did have a flame thrower and a MMG. The other remaining marines on the right were still firing and slowly moving up in support.

The Japanese advanced into the building. On the US turn everything was thrown into a fire order at range one. Rolls of 2 and 3 resulted which the Japanese simply shrugged off before advancing again into melee and completing the job. The remaining US units pushed forward but ran out of time before they could be eliminated by other means.

In this reality at least, Hill 382 remains part of the Japanese Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want you to know how much self-control it just took for me *not* to post a link to the Kate Bush video of that song .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
madDdog67 wrote:
I want you to know how much self-control it just took for me *not* to post a link to the Kate Bush video of that song .

Oh great, now I have that stuck in my head...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls