Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: notes [+] [View All]
Will Thibault
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, I want to use Distant Suns, but I want the counters to be opt-in. I also feel the Cruiser needs a slight bump. Finally, I decided to cull the counters a bit, in the same way I've removed Action Cards and Political Cards.

• This completely replaces any existing Distant Suns rules.

• At the start of the game, put all Domain Counters in a cup. (Cup here means container; a cup would definitely work, but I intend to use a pouch I have.)

• When landing forces on a neutral planet, you may choose to draw a domain counter from the cup. If you do, resolve its effect then discard it.

• If you have a Cruiser in the same system a neutral planet, when landing on that planet you instead draw 3 counters and pick one to resolve. Return the others to the cup.

• Change the text of Native Intelligence as follows;

Put this counter face up on your Race Sheet. You may discard this counter to negate the effect of another domain counter.

Removed Counters;
Distant Suns
2 Biohazard
3 Radiation
3 Hostile Locals (1)
1 Hostile Locals (2)
2 Lazax Survivors
1 Fighter Ambush (2)
1 Automated Defense System
1 Alpha Wormhole Discovery
1 Beta Wormhole Discovery
1 Natural Wealth (2)
2 Natural Wealth (4)
2 Hidden Factory
2 Peaceful Annexation

Space Domain
1 Abandoned Transport
3 Empty Space
1 Gravity Rift
1 Supernova
1 Alpha Wormhole Discovery
1 Beta Wormhole Discovery

This nets a pool of 50 counters - 10 Peaceful Annexations, 20 Green effects, and 20 Red effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. What's the idea behind removing some of them? Is that just to even out the initial probabilities?

Personally I would leave the wormholes in, because more wormholes is always fun. And with the cruiser ability, I would think it makes sense to up the number of red effects anyway.

Also, is that a separate cup for space domain counters?

Oh, and: have you tried this in a game yet? How'd it go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Thibault
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's to even out the probabilities. I removed the wormholes because for some setups they'd be blank draws.

No, all of the counters go in one cup.

I have not had an opportunity to try this in play yet, but I'm going to suggest it before our next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Thibault
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this last night; before even starting, we switched the Cruisers to draw 2 pick one instead of draw 3.

It worked well, with one caveat; it may increase the value of races that start with Cruisers a bit much. The player that didn't start with one never got one and as a result never bothered to draw - the odds were too bad. It needs a bit more testing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls