Star Wars: The Card Game – Balance of the Force» Forums » General

Subject: So...How good is the new MP formats? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, have not brought this expansion yet. How has it been received? Is the cost worth the cards or can I just used my existing collection to try the new MP rules out first? The 2v2 really interests me a lot, but I can either buy this or the 'Edge of Darkness' box and am really torn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badmike01 wrote:
Hi guys, have not brought this expansion yet. How has it been received? Is the cost worth the cards or can I just used my existing collection to try the new MP rules out first? The 2v2 really interests me a lot, but I can either buy this or the 'Edge of Darkness' box and am really torn!

You can definitely just use your existing cards to try out the 2v2 format. Hell, that's we were forced to do at FFG's World Championship 2v2 event since Balance hadn't arrived yet lol.

I do really like the cards in it though. I think it's been received very well. I'd probably say you should get Edge first though if you don't have it, as Edge will help give you much more use of Smuggler and Scum factions first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is what I was thinking about 'EoD' and seeing what the new MP rules are like from the FFG website. It seems pretty easy to substitute the dial for a 20 sided die etc. And after a game or 2 I'm sure the rules will make more sense. TBH if I do grab EoD the price point on this game is sooo good I may grab both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badmike01 wrote:
this is what I was thinking about 'EoD' and seeing what the new MP rules are like from the FFG website. It seems pretty easy to substitute the dial for a 20 sided die etc. And after a game or 2 I'm sure the rules will make more sense. TBH if I do grab EoD the price point on this game is sooo good I may grab both?

Most players at Worlds or around here just used 2 of the normal Death Star dials to compensate. Since you'll have 4 players it shouldn't be hard to borrow a second one from someone.

I agree on the price. This game is a great deal, especially compared to other normal card games like Magic. I'd definitely grab both if you can. You'll want them eventually anyway. ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tbh its great games like this that have really changed the way I feel about MTG which is the premiere game amongst 99% of people I know and my city in general!

Say for instance I now buy MTG small sets complete (ie, stand alone/ 1-off special sets) over booster packs now, and only go after specific cards I need for decks from other sources. I just walk away now feeling extremely in control of my money rather then feeling like I HAVE-TO spend out another X amount hoping to get that 1 card I need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you can play 2 v 2 using the rules set forth in Balance of the Force (BotF), without having to own that expansion. And it looks like you've already found a solution to the "multiplayer Death Star", so you are set.

BotF gives you 6 new objective sets, one for each of the factions. These objectives are nice, but for me they see much less action per set than the ones that came in Edge of Darkness (EoD). The artwork and card quality is on par with the other sets. You get Dash Rendar, some B-wings, a new (but not necessarily improved) Obi-Wan, and Mara Jade. Each are pretty and nice and offer some new tactics.

BotF also gives you the challenge decks, for 1 v 2 or 1 v 3 players, though we've also played these as 1 v 1---in which one player takes control of three decks as the 'offensive' side. The challenge decks are a whole new way to play---and they are challenging for the 'offensive' player. While I think they are fun, I still much prefer the mano e mano style introduced in the core game.

So, while I've had fun with Balance, EoD is an excellent expansion and a MUST---buy it first and use the 2 v 2 rules. But if you are a fan, you'll end up with both eventually anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Don't forget you need 2 copies of EoD :))

Edit : I only own 1 of everything lol what a shame since it is a game I play a lot :(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hot Rod
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingAnus3 wrote:
Don't forget you need 2 copies of EoD )

Edit : I only own 1 of everything lol what a shame since it is a game I play a lot

Why exactly, would you need two copies of EoD?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls