Subject: Sleeving cards in different colours! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys.

I'm thinking about sleeving the different sets in different sleeves soon. I'm a massive MTG player so I know about all the pitfalls and 'card-counting' stunts etc.. But as this is a highly casual game I play amongst close friends I cant see the hurt, has any body tried this yet?

I did this with the Resident evil DBG sets before the game died and it was very easy to break it all down afterwards and deciding on what sets to use before game etc. I also had different colours for mansion/characters etc. This also worked in part because there aren't many ways to cheat that game too (without other people seeing it)

The way we play at moment is blind drawing from face down piles and there you have it. The only way I can see this being effected is you might say I really want X and Y from the 9000k set and chose only from those coloured sleeves...IF no body else has taken any by time your second pick comes round? In fact having 2 factions from the same coloured sleeves gives you no real advantage tbh, as is vice versa? You may just have picked red sleeved Dinos, and blue sleeved Elder things, but while playing you will only know what faction your next card comes from, I cant think of many ways that will effect your chances really? It never did in Resi DBG, you just knew that the green card 3 cards down might be that sweet new shot gun you bought a couple turns ago (and that's only at the start before your deck has been fine tuned.

As a side note- I've not really played with the Cthulhu set yet mixed in with the others, the madness I would sleeve same colour as the factions at the mo, but do 2 Cthulhu factions totally over power 2 base set factions? so insight there might help.

Thoughts, fun poking, and insults below please people

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Uthus
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the spies will introduce a card that let you destroy the minions on the top of the other players decks (if there are any). You would probably be more likely to play it on the player if you can see which faction is on the top?

But I don't think it's going to matter that much, other than you know which of the 20 cards it may be if they are of different color. And off course it's giving you even more info about the next possible card at the end of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
badmike01 wrote:
I'm thinking about sleeving the different sets in different sleeves soon. I'm a massive MTG player so I know about all the pitfalls and 'card-counting' stunts etc.. But as this is a highly casual game I play amongst close friends I cant see the hurt, has any body tried this yet?

Thoughts, fun poking, and insults below please people :p

I guess my response would be why bother? The cards from different factions are all very clearly marked with their symbols and colors on the front and if you had 2 factions from the same set it wouldn't help with sorting anyway. I mean it is just as easy to sleeve all the cards the same color so I fail to see the point of sleeveing them different colors other than introducing card counting elements/being able to tell what might be coming up. Personally i don't like it cause if you are looking for a specific card the color of the top card of your deck can tell you if the card you are looking for is not the top card of the deck and your opponents can tell how many cards from a specific faction you have (ie a hand full of Robots is a lot scarier than say a hand full of Bears).

badmike01 wrote:

As a side note- I've not really played with the Cthulhu set yet mixed in with the others, the madness I would sleeve same colour as the factions at the mo, but do 2 Cthulhu factions totally over power 2 base set factions? so insight there might help.

Why does everyone think this? Please read this thread where we talk about it more and if you have any specific concerns related to factions you can feel free to ask them. One thing worth noting is that all 4 Cthullu factions are very unique so even if 1 of them was stronger than average this has no bearing on all the other factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it may seem strange at first why I want to do this, but its for various if silly/niggly reasons. Mainly this is our totally-casual/non-gamer game, we don't really play this super tactically, that's what we have MTG for. We usually break this out when say we have a couple of mates over and they bring their non-gaming partners so no one feels left out etc.

Other reasons are that I actually store these in MTG 400 count deck boxes and can only see the cards from above when lids open. And lastly the sleeves I did use are getting harder to find now the brand has changed its line and I don't intend on buying anymore of the old style, when I have over 1500+ MTG cards sleeved in the new type at moment, and my Resi evil DBG gets played like once a year now so I'm de-sleeving it (which is where the sleeves will be coming from) and are of same brand although different colours. Basically from this expansion I no longer have same sleeves unless I pay out for more or use different colours and then change 9000 and Cthulhu too etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah buy so proper bright neon colours and do each faction different bet the table would look awesome half way through a game lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Mulders
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Zangief, child slammer!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't do it, it kind of messes up the game. It gets more tactical the more often you play it. I just recently got the cuthulu expand. (not my favorite) but i just mix em in, no biggie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a bit of a break through with my sleeves last night. During a massive sleeve migration between games I managed to resleeve my Star Wars LCG set in Ultra pro blacks which just freed up 240 of the Ultra pro blues my smash up uses! Ive basicall got enough free now for the next couple expansions if needed! Wooo!

Its been a pain with the Ultra pro 'tsunami' blue sleeves, it turns out they made a matte backed version and a gloss backed version, and from inside the new packs they all look the same its only after you sleeve and start playing you realise some shine more and are slippery when side by side! Ive sent them back to stores, they've sent new ones back...and there the same gloss ones! so in the end Ive got x amount of gloss x amount of matte and just have to make sure I don't mix them on same game! Now I just got £100+ free store credit for some super old mtg cards and basically brought 2000 RED sleeves, problem solved! lmao.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls