Popular Tags: conspiracy_theory [+] [View All]
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else noticed that in the past 5 years sinkholes have been reported in greater and greater frequency in the news?

Calling all conspiracy theorists - what's going on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:

Internet reporting has become more efficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Anyone else noticed that in the past 5 years sinkholes have been reported in a greater frequency in the news?

24 hour news running out of things to talk about. +more water/liquids being piped through more areas. Erosion happens over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A shortage of sinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
It was inevitable that the expansion of the mole people's empire would start to affect the expansion of human habitation. War is near.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how much truth there is to it, but the common urban myth that I keep hearing is that they are due to the increased use of fracking to extract natural gas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Anyone else noticed that in the past 5 years sinkholes have been reported in greater and greater frequency in the news?

No doubt it's due to the combination of Global Warming, Global Cooling (which is technically Global Warming), Polar Vortexes, frack-fucking sacred Native American Burial Grounds, hidden reserves of heat deep in the Pacific which will soon... somewhere between next week and 150 years... surface and verify that we have really been getting warmer. Top all that off with too many people in Florida, which clearly adds weight to the ground causing some areas to sink because of houses and other heavy stuff sitting on the ground, and then add in not enough Prius and Leaf drivers and you pretty much get the Perfect Storm of Sinkhole Events.

Toss in some sharks and beavers and holy shit... you've got a movie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:

No doubt it's due to the combination of Global Warming, Global Cooling (which is technically Global Warming), Polar Vortexes, frack-fucking sacred Native American Burial Grounds, hidden reserves of heat deep in the Pacific which will soon... somewhere between next week and 150 years... surface and verify that we have really been getting warmer. Top all that off with too many people in Florida, which clearly adds weight to the ground causing some areas to sink because of houses and other heavy stuff sitting on the ground, and then add in not enough Prius and Leaf drivers and you pretty much get the Perfect Storm of Sinkhole Events.

You left out Obbbammmaaaaarrrrrr! and that fact that if Americans has more guns they could fill the pot holes with bullets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:

You left out Obbbammmaaaaarrrrrr! and that fact that if Americans has more guns they could fill the pot holes with bullets.

Or, we could just fill them with Corvettes like they do In Kentucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
monkeyhandz wrote:

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/2001415

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:

Or, we could just fill them with Corvettes like they do In Kentucky.
It's nowhere near the sea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
If a sinkhole opens in a field it gets little or no interest. If it opens up in a town and swallows someones car or house it gets a news report.

So the more land there is built on the more reports there will be with the same number of sinkholes.

You can then add in building on marginal land that people have avoided previously due to old mine workings or whatever. Once records are lost the land gets built on.

A bit like building on flood plains, all the old houses and churches don't get flooded as they built them on the slightly higher pieces of ground that didn't flood. Now they build them anywhere then blame the government for their house flooding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
If a sinkhole opens in a field it gets little or no interest. If it opens up in a town and swallows someones car or house it gets a news report.

So the more land there is built on the more reports there will be with the same number of sinkholes.

You can then add in building on marginal land that people have avoided previously due to old mine workings or whatever. Once records are lost the land gets built on.

A bit like building on flood plains, all the old houses and churches don't get flooded as they built them on the slightly higher pieces of ground that didn't flood. Now they build them anywhere then blame the government for their house flooding.
Bloody facts spoiling everyone's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Udvari
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:

The world is about to be transformed into a giant bathtub. Creating one huge sinkhole seemed impractical, thus the workaround.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:
Anyone else noticed that in the past 5 years sinkholes have been reported in a greater frequency in the news?

24 hour news running out of things to talk about. +more water/liquids being piped through more areas. Erosion happens over time.

A lot of this effect is caused by independent journalists. Someone writes a story about sinkholes that gets national coverage. All the journalists see it and realize that if they find another sinkhole and write an article about it they are pretty much guaranteed national coverage. So now you have all these extra journalists out looking for sinkholes and of course they find them because sinkholes have always been there, just waiting for our fantastic journalists to discover them. Prior to the highly publicized story that triggered the entire chain of events, the journalists just didn't realize that anyone gave a shit about sinkholes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:

Aging water and wastewater infrastructure, cash-strapped local gubmints reducing maintenance budgets, making the pipes more prone to catastrophic rupture. More development in areas (like Florida) with karst formations. As well as the reporting incentives others note.

I remember once a sinkhole opening literally around the corner from where I'd parked my car. I was really frustrated, because my car was on its last legs and I'd have been happy to get a write-off. Although that would have been an interesting call to the insurance company:

"Hi, my car's been damaged in an...accident"

"Could you describe the nature of the accident"

"Ummm....a hole opened up in the ground and swallowed it"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hearing a lot of logical and rational thought here, the door is still very much open to conspiracy theorists...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
I'm hearing a lot of logical and rational thought here, the door is still very much open to conspiracy theorists...

At the risk of having to hide out with Snowden I will tell you the truth. The artificially life supported brain of Qaddafi sent a top secret communique ordering Obama to send stealth drones out armed with burrowing soil destroying warheads. Enemies of the secret muslim brotherhood (not that other one, this is the secret one that controls the U.N.) are targeted by the missiles so that their demise looks like a natural calamity. Like so many of our drone strikes, they don't always hit their target.

(Here's hoping they sink hole my house when we're not home, cuz I'd like to move, but wouldn't be able to sell)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:

At the risk of having to hide out with Snowden I will tell you the truth. The artificially life supported brain of Qaddafi sent a top secret communique ordering Obama to send stealth drones out armed with burrowing soil destroying warheads. Enemies of the secret muslim brotherhood (not that other one, this is the secret one that controls the U.N.) are targeted by the missiles so that their demise looks like a natural calamity. Like so many of our drone strikes, they don't always hit their target.

(Here's hoping they sink hole my house when we're not home, cuz I'd like to move, but wouldn't be able to sell)
So not the PRC then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
So not the PRC then?
Close, it is closely entwined with the now shadow PMRC organization, which Tipper Gore took underground in the face of public backlash. Their underground lair was deduced to exist by the exorbitant amount of energy being used at Al Gore's mansion. There had to be more than met the eye, and there was. Most of the world doesn't realize that many of the carbon credits purchased for that location were for the energy to develop the soil destroying warhead now in use by the Obama administration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doe Gibson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:

Aging water and wastewater infrastructure, cash-strapped local gubmints reducing maintenance budgets, making the pipes more prone to catastrophic rupture. More development in areas (like Florida) with karst formations. As well as the reporting incentives others note.

I remember once a sinkhole opening literally around the corner from where I'd parked my car. I was really frustrated, because my car was on its last legs and I'd have been happy to get a write-off. Although that would have been an interesting call to the insurance company:

"Hi, my car's been damaged in an...accident"

"Could you describe the nature of the accident"

"Ummm....a hole opened up in the ground and swallowed it"

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20140212/NEWS01/30212...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Bears?
It's your own fault, if you will arm them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sexually voracious moles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinkholes were getting talked about here. But now we have the weather. OK, this is England, we always have the weather to talk about. But right now it's raining. No, it's not always raining, just quite often. But not like this. OK, we had a few floods last year. But this is a lot more. Maybe not as bad as I think it was the Phillipines last year. Or Bangladesh much of the time. But still quite wet. Anyway, so sinkholes are off, floods are on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Sinkholes were getting talked about here. But now we have the weather. OK, this is England, we always have the weather to talk about. But right now it's raining. No, it's not always raining, just quite often. But not like this. OK, we had a few floods last year. But this is a lot more. Maybe not as bad as I think it was the Phillipines last year. Or Bangladesh much of the time. But still quite wet. Anyway, so sinkholes are off, floods are on.

Irony - there's a paper in England called The Sun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |