4 Games on cardboard, 10+ on the ipad

Bias based on winning:
Don't win with real people...beat the AI regularly

Bias based on owning:
None

Brief back story
Build rail lines in the age of steam.

1000 meter view:
Known as a classic gateway game, Ticket to Ride has you making routes between cities on a geographical map (in the base game North America). At the start of the game get a few tickets (cities that you hook up for additional points) and a few colored rail cards. On your turn you can get three more tickets (can discard up to 2 of these), take two cards (or one wild) from a face up display of five rail cards (or draw 2 blind from the deck), or claim a route by trading in matching rail cards (greys can be claimed with any set, colored routes need corresponding colored rail cards). If you claim a route you get some points depending on the length of the route. Continue until one player has only two train cars (markers for claiming routes), and each player gets one more turn. Collect points for successfully connected tickets and lose points for unsuccessful ones. Longest contiguous route gets 10 points. Most points wins.

Liked:
- Great intro game for non-gamers.
- Looks pretty.
- Easy to play.
- Ipad achievements are the best thing about the game. Still trying to get all the orange routes.

Didn't Like:
- It's not Thurn and Taxis. Not really a fair dislike!

What did I learn about playing well:
There's a few strategies that seem to win on the base map.

Rating:
On BGG I gave it 7/10.

Real Verdict:
I argue with my wife that a ten rating scale is irrelevant for restaurants. I either won't go back, will go back, or want to go back.
Will go back if someone else really wants to play.

Peter out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drpaj wrote:
Rating:
On BGG I gave it 7/10.

Real Verdict:
I argue with my wife that a ten rating scale is irrelevant for restaurants. I either won't go back, will go back, or want to go back.
Will go back if someone else really wants to play.

Peter out
Pretty big of you to give such a high rating to a game you won't be playing again, but I can see that. I ended up getting all of the Ticket To Rides from US, 1910, Alvin & Dexter was a gift, up to including India. Nevermind they take up too much space when going to game nights (I consolidate 2 to 2.5 games into a single box, but it sure would've been nice to have double sided boards, which at one point I was tempted to do on my own), but I just lost interest for the most part. I may play again, but it's gotta be a non-US, non-Europe game (which I've played to death), but also something I won't put on the table myself. I've also played the IpT version... first day purchase for that, TtR Europe Pocket, and their IAP. Played several games, but haven't touched it since then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
If your only negative is "not Thurn and Taxis", does that mean there is no other game except Thurn and Taxis that you rate higher than '7'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy play... and boring to death plus driven by luck.
Like if you take dominion and remove all the good stuff about it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls