Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Preface: This is NOT a review of game play. There are already a plethora of reviews of Hive. If you're not already a Hive fan and you stumbled across THIS page, my apologies. Go read a review of Hive, or even better, just play a game

So what is this, then? This is a review of the COMPONENTS of Hive Pocket, and how it differs from its predecessors, the original Hive, and Hive Carbon.

Like most Hive fans, I already own Hive, its Mosquito and Ladybug expansions, AND Hive Carbon.

So I pondered, do I really REALLY need ANOTHER Hive set? Is it REALLY more portable?

After all, Hive itself almost always appears on GeekLists and in forum questions that have game portability in any way related to the topic at hand.

My other concern was the size. I really LIKE the "hefty" feel of Hive Pocket's siblings. Makes me feel like I'm moving something of substance. Is it possible that Hive Pocket would be TOO small?

Then there are the colors. Oh the colors. When Hive Carbon first came out, I thought "Yuck, black and white???". But then it grew on me, to the point where I prefer the Carbon set. Somehow it seems more elegant, a little less child-like. Being monochromatic sort of puts it in the same realm as "serious" abstracts, like those in the GIPF series (my favorite is ZÈRTZ).

So, did I really want to go back to a set of multi-color bugs? Was it worth it, just for the sake of portability, when the original was already so portable?

Well...

As a backpacker and bicyclist and rollerblader, let me tell you, the original Hive is NOT all that portable. Sure, it's more convenient to lug around than, say, that monster box Axis & Allies, but LIGHT it is NOT.

This is coming from a guy who does a lot of bicycle camping and has his two wheels loaded up with everything but the kitchen sink. Ever heard of the straw that broke the camel's back? Well in my case it might very well have been the bugs that broke my spokes, just that LITTLE bit of extra weight that was just TOO much.

So, I took the dive, the leap of faith, and now I'm the proud owner of Hive Pocket, and I'm a happy camper, for the most part.

My concern that the bugs would be too small to be enjoyable? Gone. Still hefty enough to be FUN, but definitely LIGHTER. And, the whole set really IS small enough to fit into your pocket. Well, in my cargo pants anyway.

But here's the real surprise. You can read "statistics" and measure the difference in size of the pieces and how much they weigh online, but it really won't give you a feel for the impressive portability of this set, on an EMOTIONAL level.

Well, let's get back to rollerblading for a moment. When you skate, you don't want anything on your person that's OUT OF BALANCE. That's why they make those hip packs with water bottles that fit right in the small of your back. Having it at your SIDE is AWKWARD. Too much weight in a place that makes you feel LOPSIDED.

What in the world does this have to do with Hive? I'm here to tell you that I put this game in my pants pocket, went rollerblading, and FORGOT IT WAS THERE. It somehow has pieces that still feel hefty enough when you play, but is light enough to be TRULY portable. Design brilliance!

Heck, I'm considering buying ANOTHER set, just so that when I'm out playing in public and someone wanders by and asks "What's that?" I can draw them into the hobby. I don't have that Game Evangelist microbadge for nothing.

But, there's a caveat. Why-oh-why the velour drawstring bag?

I can appreciate the ORANGE color. Easy to spot when your stuff is strewn about a campsite, for example. It won't get lost in some bush. BUT, for a game this portable, it really should come in a pouch that is easy to clean. If you get mud or dirt on this bag, it may or may not survive a trip into the washing machine. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Instead, I dug around for something I wasn't using and found this zippered vinyl bag from a pair of mini-binoculars that I wasn't using anymore...

Now one thing that IS nice about that orange bag is that it's a lot easier to just dump all of the pieces out in a hurry and get playing, instead of having to dig for them inside a ZIPPERED pouch. Problem solved...

Update: Typos corrected.
Update: Switched to BGG-hosted images instead of Flickr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of my favourite games, and I'm happy and I have Hive Pocket as well as the full-sized version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christi K
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions won't work with this pocket size set, correct? I wish the had the options for the expansion insects too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponsonby Britt, OBE
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Everything is compatible. The pocket version comes with mosquito and ladybug. And you may purchase a pocket pillbug separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Melnarik
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know the weight specs in grams, by any chance? Fellow backpacker and UL fanatic.

EDIT: Just saw the specs on the main page whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls