John Hupp
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Allons-y!
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms has been out for a few months now (although sounds like it's still sold out most places, and that is a crime - I shall be contacting interpol!) and I was wondering what folks would like to see happen next with the game? Leave it as a stand alone product, expansions, reinvention into a different genre such as a tactics game ala Summoner Wars, etc.

One of the things I liked about Ascension expansions over other deckbuilders like Thunderstone was that each new expansion introduced new mechanics, such as Fates, Trophy monsters and Soul Gems. Rather than just more cards (which are always good, don't get me wrong) or more factions, I'd like to see new mechanics come into play that can alter how one builds their deck. The Gambit cards are an excellent example - drafting a few extra abilities at the beginning of the game that will either throw a well-timed wrench in your opponents cogs, or provide a persistent bonus that gives you just the edge you need to keep your opponent on the defensive.

Another example of a good expansion was Galactic Orders for Core Worlds. This completely reinvented the game for me, as it led to far more strategic decisions on which cards to choose so I could gain bonuses from that Order further down the line. While I don't think something like that would slide directly into Star Realms, having some abilities external to the constant deck turnover would be a nice variant.

What would folks like to see in the future development of Star Realms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see them develop a better production and distribution strategy. The fact that the game seems unavailable everywhere makes this conversation painfully ironic. I'd like to see "first" before worrying about "next". Sorry to threadcrap, but I've been watching daily for updates to this game and it feels like I'm waiting for Godot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rykaar wrote:
I'd like to see them develop a better production and distribution strategy. The fact that the game seems unavailable everywhere makes this conversation painfully ironic. I'd like to see "first" before worrying about "next". Sorry to threadcrap, but I've been watching daily for updates to this game and it feels like I'm waiting for Godot.

Exactly this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Koenig
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rykaar wrote:
At this time they are not yet officially released. The decks that went on sale so far were leftovers from the Kickstarter. Right now they are hoping for early March for sales to start:
http://starrealms.com/blog/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
having some abilities external to the constant deck turnover would be a nice variant.
As long as each new ability can work with each of the the existing factions I think that could work. Otherwise you could easily end up with a "deck screw" situation. For example, I have a starting ability that pairs well with Machine Cult and then don't see any MC cards till halfway through the game.

Some more ways to manipulate with the market and/or trade deck would be nice.

I think some "in between" factions might be good, factions that can ally with 2 or 3 of the existing factions. For example, a faction that allies with both Machine Cult and Blob but not Trade Fed nor Star Empire. You could have 6 such new factions.

Maybe some instants. I can think of three kinds. First, cards ONLY have a trash ability; you buy them and get a single use out of them. Second, cards you buy that have an instant effect and then trash; they don't ever go into your deck. Third, cards that when flipped up into the market have an instant affect on all players (or maybe the single player that meets a certain condition - highest authority, most bases, etc) and are then trashed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Green
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Paul Klee, "Tod und Feuer" (1940)
mbmbmbmbmb
Things I've thought would be neat in expansions:

- Cross-faction ally abilities

- Out of turn interactivity, ie. reaction cards

- More solo/co-op challenges, including one where the ability triggers off of the scrapped card rather than the revealed card (adding a slight amount of strategy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is awesome. And yeah, the potential space for expansion is huge. They can borrow or rework tons of Magic and other CCG concepts, plus from deckbuilding games.

Double-ally symbol: requires two, not one, previously played card to trigger ability.
Cards that cost Authority to buy.
Authority-powered abilities.
Cards that cost combat to buy. Could get silly?
Combat-powered abilities. Maybe silly.
Bad stuff / curse / black hole - you buy then put in your opponents' discard pile. Or hand.
Increase your hand size. Decrease your opponents.
Artifacts - can't be destroyed. Or very tough to.
Environments - was already mentioned kind of, there's several ways to have effects that get all players.
Chain reaction. Scrap a card to use another cards' scrap ability. Or two others.

Cards with scrap powers only. e.g. a base with cost 4?, defense 6?, and a single ability: scrap it to draw 3 cards.

If they add out-of-turn / reaction cards I hope they have a specific icon on the cards for that. As opposed to leaving it up to the wording on the card.

Rule changes / variants:

One or more new always-available buys. Explorer costs 2. Maybe a 3. Maybe another 2. Are they all available always, every game? Not necessarily. Whatever works.

More than 5 cards in trade row. Sometimes the "buy" is obvious. Try with 10 - fewer buy decisions are obvious. Mono-faction-building is a bit easier. Buy denial may be more important (buying something just so your opponent can't). Surely there's drawbacks, yes. Just an idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to be able to buy replacement/extra start deck cards without having to buy a whole set.

More gambits, co-op, and solo challenges.

I don't think I'd like the trade deck to get bigger, at least not by much. I'd rather just see an alternate stand alone at some point (perhaps with the option to mix in).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Deaver
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I'd wished I'd had today while getting my butt handed to me would be the ability to instant play a base for an extra cost. If I purchased a base for 6 and wanted to play it immediately (to survive one more round) I'd have to pay an extra 3 or something.

That and the ability to 'install' upgrades to a base, say to increase it's defense or attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Chiappa
United States
lincoln park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
... i would like to buy the game....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gee
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I too am really looking forward to the game. I'm really hoping that Madness Comics in Plano, Texas can hook me up with three copies asap!

The instant - like cards will add a world of strategy but will require a different card back so that there aren't any raised eyebrows when an opponent keeps two cards in hand away from reshuffling their hand, instant suspense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glaya B
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Add my vote to more solo/coop challenges. Those are what makes this game stand out for me. I can't play Dominion solo, and I can't play Eminent Domain solo, but I can pull out Star Realms and battle the Nemesis Beast. More challenges would add a lot of replayability.

Items that trigger when purchased and reaction-type instant cards both sound like good suggestions. I don't want the deck to get too large, though. Portability is another big advantage of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Qunell
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KlydeFrog wrote:
I'd like to be able to buy replacement/extra start deck cards without having to buy a whole set.

Ditto. I would like to play with four players which one can easily do with one deck, but you need more starter cards. Would be nice to just get a couple sets of starter cards without having to buy a whole new deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want the trade deck to get much bigger. It would become a complete chance fest and ruin strategic decision making. If anything's added, it should be in a different pile. Maybe events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see cards in the trade row that let you "buy" an immediate effect, rather than a card for your deck. Money isn't very useful in the late-game. It would be interesting to have a couple of immediate "mercenary" effects so that money isn't sitting in your hand doing nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They could make another base game with different factions and allow for mixing of the factions between the base games while having a rule of only using four. You could get a four player game with each set of two players using their own copy of the game so you end up with 8 different factions being used. This would allow players to customize their decks and players could even do a draft to see what four factions get picked. They could honestly follow a LCG, Mage Wars, Summoner Wars type format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harvey
United States
Sumner
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I would like to see absolutely nothing be done with the game itself.

It's quite easy nowadays to tack on more and more expansions to a game and you get even nastier power creep. I'd rather see this wonderful game through its paces and see how people come out in tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to have a new card type (such as Leaders or Tactics) that the Blob faction is bad at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a common enemy side deck or environment deck would be a great idea. It would force you to work together to fight the common enemy, yet, you still have to worry about your opponent(s) and whether to damage them or focus on the main enemy. In a sense, this keeps the tension high as you don't know whether everyone will co-operate or if you will get knocked out.

One thing I would add to this suggestion is that if you are indeed knocked out, you still play cards and add your attack strength and value to purchase cards for the common enemy as a way of saying "gotcha" to those that betrayed you. After that enemy is defeated though, it is free-for-all.

Edit: In addition, I would probably like to see a small set if cards or a small board of a system or galaxy that you can put your symbol on to signify you control that system. As more and more systems are gained you can do things like add special ships or bases to your base deck until you rule the galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls