Subject: Bang! or Bang The Dice Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Moffett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'll be playing this game with 4 adults and at least one child (8) and maybe another child (6) at some point.

The question is which to buy, BANG! The Card Game or BANG! The Dice Game

I've downloaded Bang and it's pretty good fun. I'm worried the original game may take too long to play and therefore the kids will lose interest.

What do you reckon I should go for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remmick Remmick
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Bang the Dice Game is one gazillion times better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roddy
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for the Dice Game.

The original has lots of textless, symbol-laden cards that require frequent rules checks or a reference sheet. (It's not so bad once you crest the learning curve, but for new players it definitely can impede enjoyment). The Dice Game distills the engine down to the essential core actions, while keeping the unique character roles to keep games from getting too stale.

In the Dice Game, bullets start flying right away, as you have to resolve your dice. In Bang!, since you can choose not to play all of your cards, players tend to be more cautious, collecting the power cards and combos before they unleash, or tentatively wounding a random player.

The Dice Game also has a neat mechanism of arrows: the building threat of Native American attack. When nine arrows have been allocated, everyone takes a wound for every arrow they have, and the arrow pool resets. To get rid of your arrows, you need to roll three Gatling Guns, which also wounds every other player. It's great opportunity for "sorry everyone, I have to hurt you all to get rid of these arrows," while masking your Desperado intentions.

Finally, the Dice Game is a lot quicker, which is great for player elimination games. The three times I've taught it, the group has asked for another game, twice with observers joining in. It's the rare (or perhaps becoming less rare) instance of SOMETHING: THE DICE GAME surpassing the original SOMETHING.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itchywookie wrote:
The original has lots of textless, symbol-laden cards that require frequent rules checks or a reference sheet. (It's not so bad once you crest the learning curve, but for new players it definitely can impede enjoyment). The Dice Game distills the engine down to the essential core actions, while keeping the unique character roles to keep games from getting too stale.
Well said itchywookie. I have both and really enjoy both. I'd also go for the dice version.
I also have it on my phone and it plays way faster than the real card game. If you're afraid that it could be to long based on playing it electronically it probably will play to long.
Perhaps if everybody loves the dice game you could get the card game later. I still enjoy both versions quite a bit, though several others have completely ditched the cards and will only play dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls