Rune Age: Oath and Anvil» Forums » General

Subject: Cataclysm Solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald Speeg
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I have been trying to play through solo games to get a handle on different race's strategies. Now I do cheat a little since I swap out Pillage for Sorcerer, but I do this consistently for all the races.

I blasted through with the Demon Worshipers taking 8 damage, and half of that being from not bothering with a late Inferno(?) (does one damage at end of each player's turn, to all players, new card for expansion). My ending deck comprised of 4- Flesh Rippers, 4- Warlock Chieftains, 2- 3g Gold, I got rid of my sorcerer through an attrition mid way through the game.

The Dwarves were similarly powerful, I took 12 damage, and 5 of it was to an early event; Instant attack for 6+ number of players. Turn 1 buying a Mining Machine is kinda ridiculous, and I rode that machine to victory. My ending deck was something close to 3- Mining Machines, 3- Guardians, 1-Sorcerer, 2- 2g Gold, 3- 3g Gold. I didn't write this one down, but basically just relied on Mining Machines to do the killing and Guardians to help with attrition die.

Elves were much more difficult that the other two races I had tried, and I expected this going in. I lost my first 3 games, before seeing the rank 3 events. On game 4 I got what I consider to be the best starting hand for Elves, 5- 1g Gold. So I bought a Pegasus rider and saw him each of my next 2 or 3 hands. I did not bother with my strongholds at all during this game, and got some cities and Storm Sorceress to get me the neutral cards. I ignored Natural Disasters throughout the game, and did not pay it. I rolled 2x attrition once and 1x attrition three times, do 5 damage from it. And finished the game with 17 damage. My ending deck was 2- Demons, 2- Sorcerers, 2- Storm Sorceress, 1- Pegasus Rider. I controlled zero influence, and had no gold. Rider was just 4 power, I had 7 cards so could only afford 2 more attrition (which would of taken me to 19 damage) and no way to get money or creatures.

I felt like of the 3 that the Elves are up to luck and fortunate draw, and still were nip and tuck at the end. The other decks I wasn't too worried about what was coming next or getting Demons from the center. My barbarian deck was super consistent and had plenty of influence and gold to basically re-buy any thing I needed. It was also pretty reliable at putting up 15+ damage every hand. The Dwarves getting a turn 1 Mining Machine something like 93% of the time is ridiculous. I liked them maybe a little less than the Barbarians but still solid.

Later this week and weekend I hope to run through with the other races. I think the Orcs will be trouble, since they seem more tuned for PvP, but the Undead and Humans should be fun, maybe not as solid as the Barbarians but comparable to the Dwarves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Elves are the hardest, especially without the expansion.

You may want to try for yourself the Friman's Deepwood Archers variant (IMO the best so far):
"When played: Refresh 1 of your cities or strongholds.
&
Resolution: Spend 1 Influence to add 1 strength to this unit."

-> with this change, the DA will receive (as the only unit in game) 2 abilities at once. But at the same time, they will be finally more useful if stacked in large numbers into the player's deck.

For more information, see the file:
Strategy guides / session reports for Rune Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Speeg
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Update: I played the other three races over the past weekend; just haven't had time to post it yet.

So the Undead, have concurred death and they may just be the best race in the game. I had a 14 card deck that took all comers and was kinda lazy though the game. I finished with 18 damage but don't remember it being that tight. Deck finished at 1- B. Wyrm, 2- D. Knights, 3- Vamps, 4- Reanimates, 1- 3g, 1- 2g, and 2- 1g. I should of gotten 2 B. Wyrms and only 1 D. Knight, also should of tried to destroy another 1g and pick up another 3g. B. Wyrm is possibly the best card in the game, and it is fueled by the Vampires.

Ors I like a lot, they are better PvP than PvE, and since playing this I like the Giant Troll more than I did here, hint I didn't buy one and never intended to. I cleared though this with 9 damage, did not roll much attrition which always helps. I ended with a 10 card deck; 3- Warchiefs, 2- Spirit Speakers, 1- Sorcerers, 1- Ravager, 1- 1g, and 2- 3g. I liked this deck and destroyed some Spirit Speakers late but the Warchiefs have good strength and help immensely to deal with Instant Event Cards.

Lords are weak, or I don't play them the right way. I don't like footman, I would rather have a thinner deck, than run the risk of having 4 footman and a gold in hand. It took multiple plays to clear cataclysm, I failed three times before finally clearing. One of those was to an early 6 damage from the event that does 6+ the number of players damage. I had 1 footman and he revealed a gold. My final deck was 1- Roc Warrior, 2- Knights, 2- Novices, 1- Sorcerer, 2- 3g. I like having more Knights than Novices by 1, and buy in that order 2 Knights, then 1 Novice, then every other til I got 4 and 3, ideally.

I will try and make a summary post some other time. Little preview Dwarves, Ors and Undead are the power races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.