10 Posts

Hegemonic» Forums » General

Subject: Sleeves for cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Stanches
United States
flag msg tools
Has anyone found a good quality sleeve that fits these cards the mayday green pack seems to be just a mm short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG silver sleeves fit perfect and are much nicer than maydays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Stanches
United States
flag msg tools
Many thanks I had a couple packs of the maydays already so i'm glad to hear it's their problem and not the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomo Syvänperä
Finland
Nahkela
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had very mixed results with Mayday sleeves in general. At first I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread, but the latest batch I ordered were almost all a few mm too short for any game. And these were the thicker premium sleeves.. Really a shame as they were really very good otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG sleeves have a large "over hang" / are longer than the cards they support / are made for. That may be good or bad for you but it's worth mentioning.

I suppose Mayday try to cut their cards as close as possible for what they design for.

Ultra Pro sleeves are also shorter than FFGs. I think they look better as long as one don't look at the hologram which I hate because I don't want ads over the artwork on my cards/stuff which cover the text.

Swan Panasia sleeves I can get for about half the price of the FFG ones, they aren't as nicely manufactured but for half the price I think that would be a preferred pick for me. They are available in a lot of sizes (size is sleeve size not card size.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My preferred sleeves are the KMC Clear Card Barrier
http://www.amazon.com/KMC-pochettes-Card-Barrier-transparent...

Get 80 in a pack, and they have always been awesome. Nice and thick, not oversized like FFG, always consistent, and no annoying watermark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Swan ones feels slightly thinner than the FFG ones, I would assume 80/85/90 micron vs 100 for the FFGs. They have edges which may show a little what is it called? "Pieces left", totally nothing which would interfere with shuffling or something such but something you notice if you compare them side by side. Also they can have cuts over the actual sleeve likely from the handling of the sleeves in the factory.

But they cost about half as much, is "about" as thick and do the same job.

(This is the thick ones I'm talking about, they have also thin ones which I assume is more like the Mayday Standards, they are more transparent than FFG sleeves (I haven't compared FFG to Ultra Pro and Dragon shield as such) but surface looks slightly uneven, they stick together more and are of course not as sturdy, stack of cards get thinner though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
FFG sleeves have a large "over hang" / are longer than the cards they support / are made for. That may be good or bad for you but it's worth mentioning.

This is actually one of the things I love about FFG's sleeves. That extra room makes it a lot easier to get cards out of the sleeves (you can bang the deck upside down to shift the cards to the top of the sleeves, then bend the bottom of the sleeve down to slide the card out).

The height does tend to make FFG sleeves more problematic for storage... They require significantly more clearance than many other brands of sleeves, so sometimes an insert will fit e.g. ultra pro sleeves but not FFG sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerad Clark
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never used them before, so thought I would try them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U5DY52/ref=oh_details_o...

Kind of expensive, but the Dragon sleeves worked great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just sleeved mine using Mayday 63.5 x 88mm premium (green).

Fit perfectly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls