Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider myself to be a very good TTA player with close to 100 games under my belt, but I continue to wonder under what circumstances is best to seed the Age I/II "free product" events into the event deck. (By "free production" events I'm referring to New Deposits, Good Harvest, and Economic Progress)

My thinking has been that these events are most useful to me when I expect to have an under-developed food/rock infrastructure, because even if my opponents will get a greater reward from the event, my need for these resources will be more dire. But now I'm thinking that this may not be the best circumstances to seed this card.

So my question to the TTA community, when do you typically seed these events?

a) Always, unless I have a better use for my PA
b) Only when I expect to have an under-developed food/rock infrastructure (because I will be in more desperate need for these resources than my opponents)
c) Only when I expect to have an well-developed fod/rock infrastructure (because I will get a greater reward than my opponents)
d) I avoid playing these events in general
e) Other (please explain)

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly a) unless I am over-producing in some crazy way, and as long as my military is sufficient to overcome potential negative events that seeding an event might trigger. Whilst these events benefit everyone including you you're also getting yourself that extra culture point or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm approaching 200 plays.

I'm in the a) school of thinking.

I've always just seeded them without thinking much into them. I figure it's just a positive event for everyone, like some events are a negative for everyone (i.e. Pestilence and Rats).

The only real advantage to seeding it is knowing that it's coming, so you can plan on it, which can make a big difference in your decisions between the time you seed it and the time it finally pops up. For example, I'd make a bigger push to upgrade my Mines and Farms knowing Economic Progress is coming so I can get more out of it, and better avoid Corruption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:

e) Other (please explain)

My concern is the military situation and whether I think I'll be gaining/losing when things like "strongest two"/"weakest two" cards might be revealed. If I'm in a strong military position - perhaps with 2 medieval armies or similar, I want to hurry up the triggering of those events, which I may have seeded myself, or suspect someone else has. In such a case I'd happily play these "everyone gains" events in order to bring forward the time when I will benefit from the events which benefit the strong.

Conversely, if I'm struggling militarily, don't have a good tactic - then I may want to delay the possible triggering of such events until I'm stronger, so might not bother to seed the "harmless" Events.

That's my general view with regard to seeding things - sometimes, perhaps I want to gain something from the harmless Age A events in order to increase pop, complete a building/wonder or disccover a tech, and in such a case I might happily seed in an attempt to get food, rocks or science now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renni Honkanen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also in the e) other camp. And usually when I might suspect that I will be behind in military.

For instance when opponents have chosen Caesar and Alexander as their age A leaders. That will give me one safe event later on, if others have seeded something punishing. (Of course I usually aint last at that point).

I never think about opponents possible future productions. Most important thing about seeding events is the knowledge of the future it gives you, not the actual triggering of the event. Opponents who are afraid to play any event since they don't know whats in the deck play to your advantage. Thats why I usually seed events that dont seem to be good, but they still give me foresight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I always keep a close eye on the military situation when playing any event, so it sounds like I may be overthinking these "goodie" cards a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New Deposits and Economic Progress are very dangerous cards to seed. Your opponent may get the critical rock he needs to build a military unit to complete a tactic or complete age III wonder. Declaring Wars safely is more difficult if those cards are seeded. Also, it weakens effects of Plunder. So if you're planning to play a heavy military game it's probably not a good idea to seed those cards.

However, it's valuable to know that they are not seeded, so you benefit from those events even if you don't seed them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renni Honkanen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petri wrote:
New Deposits and Economic Progress are very dangerous cards to seed. Your opponent may get the critical rock he needs to build a military unit to complete a tactic or complete age III wonder. Declaring Wars safely is more difficult if those cards are seeded. Also, it weakens effects of Plunder. So if you're planning to play a heavy military game it's probably not a good idea to seed those cards.

However, it's valuable to know that they are not seeded, so you benefit from those events even if you don't seed them.

Would you go so far that you don't use your military action at all, if those are only cards in your hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course my first consideration is my Strength and what I know about the Events that have already been seeded. But once I decide that it's a good idea to seed something, I follow C mostly. B is true enough to justify playing New Deposits if it's the only Event you have and you really want to play one that turn, but that consideration is more of a silver lining than a reason to play the card. Sure, I might need the 3 rocks more than my opponent needs the 6 rocks, but he's going to do something with those extra rocks. Overproduction is only occasionally enough of a problem to cancel out that advantage.

Petri, I love to hear your perspective, as always. Do you refrain from playing those cards even in situations where your production is much better than your opponents'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:
Petri, I love to hear your perspective, as always. Do you refrain from playing those cards even in situations where your production is much better than your opponents'?

I seldom have better production than my opponents.

But I do seed New Deposits if I need to pop an event and I have no other events in my hand.

I think Economic Progress favors players who are late in turn order more than the early players. If events go slowly, the event might trigger after P1 did his last turn, so he's not getting benefit of the event even if he has the best production.

Good Harvest is usually not a big deal, I often seed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petri wrote:

Yeah, I almost included a parenthetical note to that effect. But you do upgrade your Mines sometimes, so it must happen occasionally.

What you say about Econ Progress is definitely true. If I'm first chair in 3p or first or second in 4p, I don't seed that one unless it's early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renni Honkanen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:
Petri wrote:

Yeah, I almost included a parenthetical note to that effect. But you do upgrade your Mines sometimes, so it must happen occasionally.

What you say about Econ Progress is definitely true. If I'm first chair in 3p or first or second in 4p, I don't seed that one unless it's early.

Once I had seeded econ progress earlier, and the last turn was on. I was last player and seeded impact of politicians (bgo), that triggered econ progress. Other players lost 8-12 points on that and I had the stones to build multimedia. Very nice combo.

So definitely true about the advantage of being last in that one, allthough quite situational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Petri wrote:

But I do seed New Deposits if I need to pop an event and I have no other events in my hand.

I think Economic Progress favors players who are late in turn order more than the early players.

Good Harvest is usually not a big deal, I often seed it.

My thoughts as well. New deposits can muck things up if you're planning a war, but as events go, are usually worth seeding for an event you want to pop (and the corollary if you're worried about an event).

There's another consideration I tend to weigh: If I haven't seeded anything in the event deck, I will try to get at least one event in there to increase uncertainty for the rest of the players. Especially in 2p, it's good to give your opponent pause regarding events. If an opponent is up on strength for instance, but is worried about a particular negative event you may have seeded, it might mean the player delays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.